31. Salad GreensIceberg-most commonRomaineBibbBostonRed leaf and curly leaf
42. Other Salad Greens Spinach Arugula Escarole Chicory Watercress RadicchioSprouts-bean, alfalfa, radish, etc.
53.Nutrients in Salad Greens Darker greens are higher in nutrients.Examples: Vitamins C and A, Iron
64. Other Fruits and Vegetables in Salads Fresh, canned cookedSliced, dried, shredded, quartered, cubedRed or green cabbage-for coleslaw
75. Other Ingredients grains & rice legumes & beans meats, fish & poultryeggs & cheesepasta
86. Salad DressingsOil-based-Oil and vinegar separates easily. eg. Italian or vinaigretteMayonnaise-Emulsion of oil, vinegar or lemon juice and egg that doesn‘t separate.Cooked-Looks like mayonnaise, but uses cooked starch to thicken it instead of eggs. eg. Miracle Whip
97. More Salad Dressings Dairy -Uses sour cream, yogurt, cottage cheese or buttermilkLow or no-fat -Uses less oil orno oil.Note:1 T. oil=100 cal.
108. Types of SaladsAppetizer-small and tasty salad served before meal-eg. garden salad, fruit or shrimp cocktailAccompaniment-served with meal-eg. mixed greens, fruit salad, or coleslaw.
119. More Salad TypesMain dish-protein based salad with meat, cheese, or eggs.Dessert salad-uses fruit or molded gelatin.
1210. Preparing Salad Greens Remove core from iceberg lettuce by hitting on counter& twisting out.Rinse leaves in cool water & drain.Tear leaves instead of cutting to prevent rusty looking greens.
1311. Assembling Salads Be creative! Use a variety of colors, textures, and shapesUse 3 parts-the base, body and dressing
1412. Salad Creations Tossed or mixed- toss greens, fruits or vegetables with dressingArranged salads- ingredients in a pattern on a base of greens
1513. More Salad CreationsMolded salads-gelatin or rice holds its shape in a mold or container.
1614. Garnishes-The Finishing Touch Edible bowls of tomato, tortilla shells, pineapple, melon, or peppersPepper rings, tomato or radish roses, or sproutsSeeds, chopped nuts or raisinsGrated cheese or carrotsENJOY!!!