Presentation on theme: "Before the Constitution Declaration of Independence: (Thomas Jefferson) -Power of government is responsible to the people. Article of Confederation: Weak."— Presentation transcript:
Before the Constitution Declaration of Independence: (Thomas Jefferson) -Power of government is responsible to the people. Article of Confederation: Weak organization with Little power and no real central government.
THE PURPOSE OF OUR GOVT AS OUTLINED IN THE PREAMBLE OF THE CONSTITUTION
1. To form a more perfect ___________
2. To establish _______ The Law should be administered fairly, reasonably and impartially
3. To Insure Domestic __________ Without order, people would live in anarchy
4. Provide for the Common Defense A States security depends on a wise defense and sound foreign policies
5. To promote the General _________ To provide services and laws to protect everyone
6. To Secure the Blessings of Liberty To protect everyones freedom
The Constitution: A Living Document Preamble: An Introduction Article One: Legislative Branch (Makes Laws) Article Two: Executive Branch (Enforces Laws) Article Three: Judicial Branch (Interprets Laws) Article Four: Treason, New States, Guarantees Republican Form of Government to states. Article Five: Amendments (Changes) Article Six: Constitution as supreme law of the land. Article Seven: Ratification: 9 of the 13 states needed to approve.
The Constitution: A Living Document? How is it alive? Amendments: Changes made to Constitution. (Pass by 2/3 of both houses of Congress, then pass ¾ of the state legislatures) Elastic Clause: Article One, Section 8: Power to make all laws necessary to carry out the powers of the Constitution.