Presentation on theme: "Culture What is Culture? Knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors shared and passed on by a group. How do we learn culture? Learned from family, school, peers."— Presentation transcript:
What is Culture? Knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors shared and passed on by a group. How do we learn culture? Learned from family, school, peers. Learned from media, social institutions.
What are the Elements of Culture? 1.Language 2.Religion (beliefs / morals / mores) 3.Food and Shelter (Types / Styles) 4.Education Systems 5.Security/Protection 6.Relationships – Family and Others 7.Political and Social Organizations 8.Creative Expression - Recreation
1. Language Allows for communication to exist Helps establish cultural identities Oral tradition - Helps pass cultural traits along through generations There are between 3,000 and 6,500 different languages spoken in the world today We know of 7,000 that have been spoken Dialect – different versions of the same basic language
2. Religion The belief in a supernatural power or powers, responsible for the creation and maintenance of the universe Major Types of Religions? 1.Monotheistic – belief in one god 2.Polytheistic – belief in many gods 3.Animistic or Traditional – belief in the forces of nature 4.Nontheistic – Supernatural, but no deities 5.Atheistic – No deities, no supernatural
3. Food and Shelter – The places we live and the things we eat
4. Education How culture is taught or learned 1.Formal – Schools, Universities, Religion (church) 2.In-Formal – Family, Friends, Social Clubs / Groups
5. Security/Protection Military – National Govt. Police – Local Govt. Family - Tribe
6. Relationships – Family and Others Family Friends Classmates / Co-Workers
7. Political and social organization Government System – Make rules and laws to keep society in order Clubs – Examples? Boys and Girls, Boy Scouts, FFA, Optimists, Fraternal organizations – Kiwanis, University, Veterans, Masonic etc.
8. Creative Expression - Recreation Music – instruments, singing Art – Paintings, sculpture, photography Dance Theater Literature – Novels, Poems Architecture Sports Outdoor activities Hobbies
How are cultural regions organized? Society – a group that shares a geographic region, a sense of identity and a culture Ethnic groups – a specific group within a society that shares a common language, customs, and heritage
What is the difference between race and ethnicity? Race – physical - biological and physical differences; skin color, cranial size and shape, and hair type. Ethnicity – social/mental - values, institutions, and patterns of behavior within a group