Folk music---It has been passed down from one generation to another. At first it was never written down. People learnt it from their parents. Most of the songs are about country life, the seasons, animals, and about love and sadness in people’s life. Chinese Folk Songs
1.Do you like music? How does music make you feel? 2. What kind of music do you like: Chinese or Western, classical or modern? Why? Task 3: Discussion
1.What kind of music do you like better Chinese or Western, classical or modern? Why? Possible answer I like Chinese because I think Chinese music is easy to understand. It is our culture.
I like classical music because it is serious and make people inspired. It can last long.
2. Why do you like to listen to music? Because music can enrich my life, make me feel relaxed, pleasant, funny, happy when listening to music.
Have you heard about any of the famous bands in the world? List some if you have. Task 4 Pre-reading Beyond; the Beatles of the UK, the zero o’clock of China, The 12- woman group of China; U2; Backstreet boys; Savage Garden.
The Monkees — the most popular band in the USA from 1966 to 1968! A big hit!
First reading: Read the passage quickly and do Ex 1, 2 & 4 on page 35 in your books. Task 5 Comprehending
A. but only one person was accepted. B. but reunited in the mid-1980s. C. form a band because they like to write and play music. D. to celebrate their time as a band. E. was a big hit.
1.They produced a new record in 1996 2. Most musicians get together and 3. They put an advertisement in the newspaper looking for four rock musicians, (D)(D) (A)(A) (C)(C)
4. The first TV show 5. However, the band broke up about 1970, (B)(B) (E)(E)
1. What are the advantages if the students form a band to play in the street? Second reading : Read and answer following questions:
2. When did “The Monkees” break up and when did it reunite ? 3. Why was “The Monkees” successful in their work?
1.What are the advantages if people form a band to play in the street? They can earn some extra money and this can also give them a chance to realize their dream of being famous.
2. When did “The Monkees” break up and when did it reunite ? “The Monkees” broke up in about 1970 and it reunited in the Mid-1980.
3. Why was “The Monkees” successful in their work ? Because they were serious about their work and they also worked very hard.
Main idea of each paragraph Paragraph 1: Paragraph 2: Many people want to be famous as singers or musicians. This is how most bands start.
Paragraph 3: Paragraph 4: The Monkees started in a different way. How the Monkees became popular and how they developed as a real band.
If we are ______ _____ ourselves, most of us have ________ __ being famous sometimes in our lives. Most musicians often meet and _____ a band. Task 6 : Consolidation( Fill in the blanks ) honest with dreamed of form
Sometimes they play in the street to __________ so that they can earn some ______ money and this also gives them a _______ to realize their dreams. There was once a band started in a different way. passers-by extra chance
The musicians of whom the band was formed ______ _______ ______ each other as well as played music, whose music and jokes were loosely _____ ___ “The Beatles”. Their exciting performances were copied by other groups. played jokes on based on
“The Monkees” played their own ___________ and wrote their own music. Though it _____ __ in 1970, it reunited in the mid-1980s and it is still popular today. instruments broke up
Why do you think music is so important in our daily life? Task 7: Creative work make life more lively, interesting, colorful, make things better for people to understand and enjoy, express one’s feeling
help one forget their pain and tiredness. develop one’s love for his country, friends, family and relatives. help people to work together and remember things well.
Today we’ve learnt the passage about the band “The Monkees” and learnt something about music. Besides, we know their success lies in their hard work and their unique style of performance. Task 8: Summary
1. What kind of music do you like? 2. Which singer do you like best and why? These phrases will help you. Discussion Now in pairs discuss the following questions with your partner
I prefer… Why do you prefer… I like …best because… I hate…. My favorite singer is… I enjoy listening to… I am fond of… I don’t like… very much.
Sample dialogue A: What kind of music do you like, pop music or …? B: I like…, because… A: Who is your favorite singer?
B: Well, I prefer /like… Her/his music makes me feel… Who do you prefer? A: I like …. B: …
1. Read the text fluently and prepare to retell the text. 2. If you could start a band, what type of music would you play? why? Task 9 : Assignment