Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Comprehensive Management Plan for Puget Sound Chinook Harvest.

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "Comprehensive Management Plan for Puget Sound Chinook Harvest."— Presentation transcript:

1 Comprehensive Management Plan for Puget Sound Chinook Harvest

2 Conservation: Population productivity, abundance & diversity Account for all fishery-related mortality Legal & Policy Obligations: Indian Treaty Rights Puget Sound Salmon Management Plan Pacific Salmon Treaty Meet ESA Jeopardy Standards Provide Fishing Opportunities: Healthy Species & Stocks Puget Sound Chinook Harvest Plan Objectives

3 Populations Stocks Management Units Conservation for:

4 Puget Sound Chinook Complex Life History

5 North Pacific Fisheries Management Council Alaska Board of Fisheries Pacific Salmon Commission Canadian Department of Fisheries and Oceans Pacific Fisheries Management Council Columbia River Compact (WA, OR & Tribes) U.S. v Washington Plans U.S. v Oregon Plans Puget Sound Chinook Controlling Fisheries

6 Seasons Catch Quotas Area Restrictions Gear Restrictions Size Limits Impact Limits

7 Spawning Numbers Control Fisheries To Meet Spawning Goal: Avoid Low Spawner Abundance Meet or exceed Upper Spawner Threshold

8 Cedar River Chinook Spawning Escapement Trend Upper Threshold = 1680

9 Lake Washington Chinook Exploitation Rates

10 Lake Washington Chinook Fishing Impacts 2009 Alaska & Canada21% Southern U.S. total20% Pre-Terminal Only11% Terminal Only9% TOTAL All Fisheries 41%

11 Puget Sound Chinook 2009 Management Plan Rate Limits Skagit S/F50% Skagit Spring38% Stillaguamish25% Snohomish21% White R Spring20% Puyallup50%

12 Puget Sound Chinook Lake Washington Fishing Impacts under Revised Plan – beginning in 2010 Alaska & CanadaCanada-U.S. Treaty thru (~21%) Southern U.S. max rate20% Terminal Area (Shilshole Bay, Ship Canal, Lake Wa) No chinook-directed fishing Expected TOTAL Rate All Fisheries 41%

13 Puget Sound Chinook Lake Washington Revised Plan Terminal Area (Shilshole Bay, Ship Canal, Lake Wa) No chinook- directed fishing Except if: Cedar River Escapement > 1680 Co-Managers may conduct chinook-directed fisheries Expected Rate in All Fisheries may > 41%

14 Cedar River Chinook Spawning Escapement Trend In-Season Estimation Lock Counts & other information Total Runsize Cedar River Runsize Cedar River Spawners Fishery (tribal & state) Impacts Estimate Uncertainty How will we know if we will exceed the Upper Threshold ?

15 Sammamish Chinook Spawning Escapement Trend


Download ppt "Comprehensive Management Plan for Puget Sound Chinook Harvest."

Similar presentations


Ads by Google