Presentation on theme: "The Brave New World of Information Professionals: Juggling Career Changes with Robin Merrill Elan Pharmaceuticals SLA DPHT Meeting St. Petersburg, FL April."— Presentation transcript:
The Brave New World of Information Professionals: Juggling Career Changes with Robin Merrill Elan Pharmaceuticals SLA DPHT Meeting St. Petersburg, FL April 8, 2008
- 1 - How I got to Elan About me: background as information specialist/manager at several management consulting firms and other professional services companies background in business research little pharmaceuticals/scientific experience MLS (Simmons College) BA, German (Smith College) Came to Elan October 2004: recruited by SVP who worked at one of the strategy consulting firms and came over with new CEO from Merrill Lynch named Manager of Market-Competitor Intelligence within newly-formed Corporate Strategy & Alliances, a new position office located in little brick house in Cambridge, rest of small team in NY and SSF; co-located with people from IR, marketing
- 2 - About Elan Medium-sized neuroscience-based biotechnology company headquartered in Ireland with large R&D facility in South San Francisco 2007: $570MM revenues, 2,000 employees worldwide 4 marketed products: Tysabri (MS), Prialt (pain), 2 off-patent hospital anti- infectives Pipeline and pre-clinical research programs in Alzheimers, Parkinsons, MS/autoimmune Nanotechnology and contract manufacturing businesses in US and Ireland
- 3 - Embedded in Corporate Strategy My role is fully integrated into Corporate Strategy department: participate in monthly conference calls attend quarterly and annual offsite meetings responsible for annual data budget, manage db subscriptions etc based in tiny Boston office, have remote relationship with small team in NY, SSF virtual collection – no library formerly compiled weekly newsletter for team with edited therapeutic area/topic news, company/partner financials and events listings (now use LexisNexis Publisher) provide proactive/responsive research support for team deal comps pipeline products company/competitor research and profiles market research data partner with Library, Communications, IR, marketing managers, scientists, Legal, IT
- 4 - Time of Turbulence In 2004/5 Elan was in midst of turnaround, repositioning as biopharma/nanotech company from a larger, less focused one financial, legal, product challenges new strategies and executive team in place products sold off and several offices consolidated, shut down Tysabri taken off market shortly after launch due to AE (since re- introduced) Stock price dropped 90% overnight
- 5 - Impact on Information Services Lots of data redundancies from legacy operations Conducted company-wide global database inventory, partnering with Library, Finance, other depts, sister company, overseas locations Market Research dept dissolved – no longer relevant to refocused and slimmed down company took on information budget, slashed it to match current strategies and products Commercial Library in San Diego was consolidated within S San Francisco information center and office was closed, Librarian eventually left S San Francisco R&D Library reported to 2 different depts, staff turmoil, finally landing under my boss in June 2008
- 6 - AIM Services is Born CEO EVP, Corp Strategy, Communications, Branding, Commercial AIM Services Named manager of Library in June, 2007 Manage 2 FTEs and a part-time contractor in SSF remotely from Boston Responsible for budget AIM enjoys top-level support and visibility
- 7 - Promoting/Rebranding and Rebuilding AIM Services Continues Team of 2 great new information specialists and part-time assistant Increased presence on intranet, post filtered newsfeeds via LNP Participate in weekly science group meetings Adding more databases/subscriptions/alerts based on user feedback and company priorities In-person visits with R&D managers to assess info needs Present at all new employee orientations in SSF, in-person & webex trainings Focus on developing user analytics to guide decisionmaking Processing lab notebooks and working with Legal on e-notebooks Company-wide IP/corporate document archiving initiative Implementing Quosa content management tool for Med Affairs, scientists, etc
- 8 - Library/Cafe Redesign Underway to Bring Scientists Together in Library wall between library & cafe to be taken down, space created for knowledge-sharing, quiet reading, playing pool with scientists!
- 9 - Takeaways from my Experience at Elan Flexibility is key, rolling with the punches opportunities come from challenges Managing remotely is tricky need for enhanced & constant communication with staff, travel, hiring challenges Fusion of roles both embedded and traditional More partnering with other departments, not isolated co-located with other groups physical library as place for knowledge sharing Need to keep abreast of clienteles needs continuously, gather metrics and change accordingly Top-level management support, flat hierarchy is best Im glad I didnt leave when the stock sunk to $3!
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.