Presentation on theme: "Cosmic Voyage Fill in the details from the video that correspond with the Main Ideas. Main IdeaSupporting Details."— Presentation transcript:
Cosmic Voyage Fill in the details from the video that correspond with the Main Ideas. Main IdeaSupporting Details
1. Early theories /ideas of Greek philosophers *Nature can be understood everything is made up of particles Earth was the Center of a unchanging Universe Galileo 1609 invented the telescope He saw the moon had mountains Jupiter has its own moon Galaxy consist of 1,000s stars
Milky Way Galaxy A Band of countless stars. We are known as the Spiral Galaxy Over a billion stars & the Universe is expanding
Big Bang Theory Birth of our Universe ball- expanding with great radiant energy- Cool expand At the beginning total mass was size of a small ball. The ball expanded with a great amount of energy creating a New Universe. Protons & Neutrons came together, followed by electrons to form ATOMS.
Big Bang Theory A. 2 Billion years – 2 B.Yrs. Our Universe consists of clouds of gas & dust. Galaxies came together in clusters, evolve disks, gas spiral. Gravity holds them together. Galaxies collided together due to their mutual gravity
B. 10 billion years later Milky Ways formed stars formed by Nuclear Fusion Stars died-Stars with large mass exploded.
Stars – A. Characteristics Nuclear Fusion A star will shine until its fuel is used up = it dies – B. Super Nova When a star burns up all its fuel and explodes – C. New Star – Formation After a star dies it particles gasses & dust scatter & create a New Star
Black Hole » It is a massive star that has collapsed. » Its gravitational pull is so strong, that it sucks everything into it. » Not even light can escape/can be emitted thru it
Cosmic Voyage Directions: After viewing the video Comic Voyage. Answer the following questions. You may use your main ideas/detail notes. Remember, use complete sentences
QuestionAnswers 1. Name one theory about Earth & Space that the ancient Greek philosophers believed? The Sun revolved around the Earth
2. What invention has been instrumental in changing the metal & physical models of how we view the universe? The telescope
3. How does technology continue to play a role in mental & physical models of our Universe? We are able to explore space with Rocket ships & also take amazing pictures with telescopes
4. What type of galaxy? Milky Way Spiral How many stars does it contain? Billions
5. According to the Big Bang Theory, where was all the know mass (mater) gathered in the beginning of the universe? In a condense ball
6. In your own words, describe the Big Bang Theory. All the particles of the Universe were condensed in the size of a golf ball Expanded creating our Universe
7. What is a Super Nova? When a star runs out of gas/fuel = it stops shinning & explodes
8. How is a new star formed? When a star goes Super Nova All the gases & particles scatter & form New Stars
9. Describe what occurs in space to create a black hole? A massive star collapsing causing an extreme gravitational pull.
10. What role does gravity play in a black hole? It is Super Strong causing it to suck up anything that comes in contact with its Write conclusion