7Basic Facts: 22% of the population of Bangladesh are adolescents, amongst which 13.8million are girls63% of girls, in the age group of suffer from early marriage, compared to only 3.7% of boys in the same age group.31% of these girls get pregnant within a year of marriage
8Basic Facts: Con...... Lack of girls mobility - Because of Reputation & Security Lack of A.Friendly Health Services/Lack of sensitivity among the service providers Lack of appropriate Knowledge on Sexuality and reproductive HealthIn rural areas, there is very limited opportunity for paid employment, especially for girls
10An overview:In 1992 BRAC started Reading Centres for rural adolescent girls.The initial purpose was: to retain literacy, a safe place to socialize and to enhance girls’ participation.
11Activities of the Reading Centers: Exchanging Books Reading Newspaper, Magazine Playing indoor games Performing Cultural Program
12Evolution from Reading Centers to Adolescent Development Program: In 1998 BRAC started working on specific issues through Adolescent Peer Organized Network (APON).In 2000 the Adolescent Development Programme (ADP) was launched under BRAC Education Programme.
13To create and sustain a supportive environment for adolescent girls’ Objectives of ADP: To empower adolescents, especially girls, to participate meaningfully in decisions that affect their lives and to become active agents of social change.To create and sustain a supportive environment for adolescent girls’ To reduce child marriage and dowry.
14The main components are: Adolescent Centres Issue based life skills course (*APON)Livelihood trainingCommunity Participation* A - AdolescentP - PeerO - OrganizedN - Network
15 Reading Newspaper, Magazine Playing indoor games Adolescents center: Exchanging Books Reading Newspaper, Magazine Playing indoor gamesPerforming Cultural Program
162. Issue based Life Skills Course (APON): Objectives of the course:To prepare them about aware issues related totheir lives and practice those in their day to daylife.To enhance their capacity on different life skills.To develop leadership skill of the adolescents.To help the adolescents to practice their rights
172. Issue based Life Skills Course: Con... The course content includes:Social, Family and Community IssuesSexual and Reproductive Health Issues(20 books and 1 peereducator guide has beendeveloped for the course.)
182. Issue based Life Skills Course: Con... Cross-cutting issues Child RightsNegotiation skillsGender sensitiveInclusivenessEffective Communications
193. Livelihood Training The livelihood training includes: Poultry and livestockSewing and embroideryPhotographyComputerJournalism etc.This activities are helping to reduce early marriage from the intervention areas.
204. Community Participation: The activities includes:Forum with mothersForum with fathersForum with communityleadersThere is a child marriage and dowry prevention committee, who are working to reduce the child marriage and dowry from their community.
21Achievements:There are 17 thousand of Adolescent Leaders under this project and most of them are continuing their education.According to the Population Council Report, ( ) the marriage age has increased by 1-2 years in the intervention areas.
22Achievements at a glance Activities BeneficiariesAdolescent Centres (8500) GirlsAPON course for girls GirlsAPON course for Boys BoysSewing and embroidery GirlsPhotography Training GirlsComputer Training GirlsJournalism GirlsPoultry & livestock Girls
23Lessons learnt:Adolescents are capable of doing a lot more provided if they are given the opportunitiesActive participation of Community Leaders and Religious Leaders are essential to prevent early marriage and dowryLivelihood program, aside from economic independence , has been able to change the attitudes of their family and community towards adolescent girls.
24Future PlanProviding APON course to adolescent girls and boys togetherIncluding married adolescents, indigenous group and adolescents with disabilityNew Initiatives will include practical program for the slum dweller and adolescent garment workersProviding livelihood training and creating job opportunities through liaison with different employers
25Anna Afroz is a cheerful, confident adolescent girl, who saved herself from early marriage with the help of APON course and ADP.