Presentation on theme: "UNESCO Regional Workshop (West Africa)"— Presentation transcript:
1UNESCO Regional Workshop (West Africa) on Capacity Building in STI Policy Reviews and ST Statistics & IndicatorsBamako, May 2010The African Science, Technology and Innovation Indicators (ASTII) Initiative -An Update-ByMr Seke Lukovi, ASTII Project Office Representative, AU-NEPAD AgencyDr Almamy Konte, ASTII Focal Point Representative, Senegal
2AU-NEPAD Planning & Coordinating Agency The African Science, Technology and Innovation Indicators Initiative (ASTII) PROGRESS TO DATEByMr Seke LukoviASTII Project OfficeAU-NEPAD Planning & Coordinating Agency
3Contents Setting the scene ASTII genesis and political mandate Programme definition, ASTII Governance structure & Phase-1Partnership and collaboration5. National Implementation6. The ASTII National Focal Points7. The ASTII Process in CountriesCore Indicators: R&D and InnovationChallenges & Conclusion
41. Setting the Scene1.1 GDP and Sectors of Economic Activities
5STI 1. Setting the Scene 1.2 STI Impact Rationalise structures, institutionsand actors in STI to dare social andeconomic development needsSTI
61.3 Local Circumstances Matter 1. Setting the Scene1.3 Local Circumstances MatterCountry XZCountry ZX
72. ASTII Genesis & Political mandate AMCOSTDecisions /commentsNov. 2003, Johannesburg RSAAfrican countries endorsed the compilation of indicators for scientific research, technological development and innovation activitiesAMCOST I
82. ASTII Genesis & Political mandate Decisions /comments AMCOST IIDecisions /commentsSept DakarSenegalThe African Intergovernmental Committee on ASTII mandated to:spearhead a better understanding of national and regional S&I systems among African countries;enhance skills for STI policy review and development;improve the quality of STI policies;Promote the exchange of experiences, expertise and information;Strengthen regional cooperation.AMCOST II
92. ASTII Genesis & Political mandate AMCOSTDecisions /commentsNov. 2007, MombasaPresentation of the ASTII Road Map toAMCOST IIIMarch 2010For Dec.2009Cairo, EgyptThe AMCOST outgoing Chair referred to ASTII as one of the working frameworks between AU-NEPAD and AUCAMCOST IV
102. ASTII Genesis & Political mandate Theme: Innovation Systems for Poverty Reduction and SustainableLivelihoods Development in SADC CountriesTitle: "An overview of the potential of Science and Technology toaddress African development challenges: Creating an enablingenvironment for science technology"2. ASTII Genesis & Political mandateS&T Plan for AfricaAU Commission's Strategic Plan for Human Resources, Science and Technology HRST): "Promote Human Resource Development, Capacity building and S&T as tools and Youth as partners for socio-economic development".November March 2005: regional expert workshops identifying projects and actions.The Africa's Science and Technology Consolidated Plan of Action (CPA)
112. ASTII Genesis & Political mandate Theme: Innovation Systems for Poverty Reduction and SustainableLivelihoods Development in SADC CountriesTitle: "An overview of the potential of Science and Technology toaddress African development challenges: Creating an enablingenvironment for science technology"2. ASTII Genesis & Political mandateThe Africa's Science and Technology Consolidated Plan of Action (CPA)Historical background/Motivation: Africa's Challenges to development: Adoption of a short term view to human development Science, Technology and Innovation not considered as sourceof growth and sustainable development(Please read for more information UNCTAD report 2007) Low public expenditure on R&D No collaboration between Research institutions and Industries (research findings) Brain drain Declining quality of education systems in Science and Engineering
12Attempts to address Africa’s development problems prior to AMCOST Theme: Innovation Systems for Poverty Reduction and SustainableLivelihoods Development in SADC CountriesTitle: "An overview of the potential of Science and Technology toaddress African development challenges: Creating an enablingenvironment for science technology"2. ASTII Genesis & Political mandateAttempts to address Africa’s development problems prior to AMCOSTJuly 1979The Monrovia StrategyApril 1980Lagos Plan of Action for the Economic Development of Africa and its Final ActSept. 2000Adoption of the UN-MDGs by African countries (September)Year 2002Johannesburg Plan of Implementation adopted at the World Summit on Sustainable DevelopmentFeb. 2003Establishment of the NEPAD S&T Forum prior to the Ministerial Conference
143. Programme Definition, Governance & Phase-1 3.1 OVERALL GOAL : To contribute towards the improvement of the quality of science, technology and innovation policies at national, regional and continental levels3.2 PURPOSE: To strengthen Africa’s capacity to develop and use Science, Technology and Innovation (ASTII) Indicators.
153. Programme Definition, Governance & Phase-1 3.3 Specific ObjectivesTo develop and facilitate the adoption of internationally comparable STI indicators;To build human and institutional capacities for STI indicators and related surveys;To enable African countries to participate in international programmes for STI indicators;To inform African countries on the state of STI in Africa
173. Programme Definition, Governance & Phase-1 Phase-1: Countries participating in ASTII InitiativeAlgeria,AngolaBurkina FasoCameroonEgyptEthiopiaGabonGhanaKenyaLesothoMalawiMaliMozambiqueNigeriaSenegalSouth AfricaTanzaniaUgandaZambia15121531464818971721119131610
183. Programme Definition, Governance & Phase-1 NINE (9) CRITERIA FOR SELECTING COUNTRIES IN PHASE 1Membership of the African Peer Review Mechanism (APRM) and indication of when the peer review will be conducted;Demonstrated participation in at least one meeting of AMCOST;Commitment to adopt and use AU/NEPAD framework/guidelines;Demonstration of an existing overall STI policy process;Commitment to provide at least 25% of the total costs/budget for undertaking the national STI survey (Provisional: Based on seed fund);Commitment to make available to AU/NEPAD and share with other countries data/statistics as well as the national STI survey reports;Commitment to allow NEPAD/AMCOST to use the national STI data/survey report for regional comparisons as well as produce the African Science and Innovation Outlook;Commitment to use STI data/survey report to improve existing policies;Commitment to the overall ASTII work plan.
194. Partnership & Collaboration MoUs SIGNED WITHthe University of Pretoria in South Africa;the Research Policy Institute of the University of Lund, Sweden;the UNESCO Institute for Statistics (UIS);the Southern African Regional Universities Association (SARUA).COLLABORATION WITHthe Statistics Department of the African Development Bank;the OECD National Working Party on Science and Technology Indicators (NESTI)the Centre for STI Indicators CeSTII of South Africa;the African Regional Centre for Technology in Dakar.STI EXPERTS (African and non African) are called in as resource persons to contribute with their know-how.
20On the AU-NEPAD STI/UIS Collaboration 4. Partnership & CollaborationOn the AU-NEPAD STI/UIS CollaborationTo cooperate in increasing the availability and improving the quality of international comparable science, technology and innovation statistics in Africa;To support AU/NEPAD in facilitating the conduct of national science, technology and innovation surveys and the development of related indicators;To develop and offer joint training courses in science, technology and innovation policy to African government officials;To collaborate in supporting African governments to review and/or develop national science and technology policies and strategies;To collaborate in order to develop an African manual for science, technology and innovation surveys. ☼☼☼
21By Dr Almamy Konte ASTII Focal Point Representative Senegal The African Science, Technology and Innovation Indicators (ASTII) Initiative-An Update-In- country ASTII processByDr Almamy Konte ASTII Focal Point RepresentativeSenegal
225. National Implementation Designation of National Focal Points for implementation at national levelsAdoption of Frascati & Oslo family of manuals as survey guidelinesAgreement on core R&D and Innovation IndicatorsTraining of members of Focal points and Harmonisation of Survey Instruments (March 2008, March 2009, December 2009)National surveys (R&D and innovation)Roadmap towards the publication and dissemination of the African Innovation outlook (AIO)
236. The ASTII National Focal Points Designated by National government, Each national focal point is cross- sectoral, inter-ministerial and multidisciplinary;Have the ability to convene meetings of all relevant stakeholders;Have legislative authority to collect or cause to collect statistics and participate in national sectoral surveys of relevance to the ASTII initiative;Possess a critical mass of expertise for the development of STI indicators, or have the ability to mobilize such expertise from other institutions;Organize training for and assemble national teams to conduct surveys;Enter into an agreement with AU-NEPAD Agency/OST on project related matters;Prepare and submit to AU-NEPAD Agency/OST authorized national STI surveys and/or indicators.
247. The ASTII Process in Countries R&D and Innovation concepts – learning processR&D and Innovation surveys- doneR&D and Innovation data and Information –ongoingProduction of R&D and Innovation indicators ( by June 2010)Dissemination of ASTII Data and Information (by July 2010)Phase 2 to commence by September 2010
258.1 Core Indicators /Principaux Indicateurs: R&D Gross Domestic Expenditure on R&D (GERD), by source and Sector of performance: Higher education, Government; Business; Non-Profit organizations; AbroadR&D Personnel by level of formal qualification and occupation, gender (headcount (HC) & full-time equivalent (FTE)) :Higher education; Government; Business, on-Profit organizations (§ 5.2 Frascati 2002)Researchers by gender and field of study/researchOutputs: publications, patents (not core but to be collected).Dépenses intérieures brutes de la R-D (DIRD), selon la source et le secteur d’exécution: Enseignement supérieur; Etat; Entreprises; Institutions prives sans but lucratif, A l’étrangerPersonnel de R&D selon le niveau de qualification formelle et d’occupation, le sexe (effectif (HC) & équivalent d’un employé à plein temps (FTE)) : Enseignement supérieur Gouvernement; Affaires; Organisations sans but lucratif (§ 5.2 Frascati 2002)Chercheurs par sexe et domaine d’étude/de rechercheOutputs : publications, brevets (non fondamentaux mais à être recueillis).
268.2 Core Indicators: Innovation General information about the enterprise, business, company or firmProduct (goods or services) innovationProcess innovationOngoing or abandoned innovation activitiesInnovation activities and expendituresSources of information and co-operation for innovation activitiesEffects of innovation during the last two yearsFactors hampering innovation activitiesIntellectual Property RightsOrganization and marketing innovationsInformations générales sur l’entreprise, le commerce, la compagnie ou la sociétéInnovation de Produit (Biens ou Services)Innovation de ProcessusActivités d’innovation en cours ou abandonnéesActivités et Dépenses d’innovationSources d’information et de coopération pour des activités d’innovationEffets de l’innovation au cours des deux dernières annéesFacteurs entravant les activités d’innovationDroits de Propriété IntellectuelleInnovations d’organisation et de marketing
279. Challenges & Conclusion Countries specific:Will be fully raised in the report and similar in average.CONCLUSION:ASTII assisted countries to learn more about international standards on STI and to adapt them at the national level.Governments are institutionalizing the initiative with appropriate budget line with this regard.Countries involved in Phase-1 will be part of the first report to be produced soon (Q3-Q4 2010).The phase officially ended in Addis-Ababa during the last workshop (validation) in December 2009 with a strong support of the AUC-HRST.Next Phase: To start in Q4-2010- AOSTI: Information will be released accordingly once the process is sorted out.
28THANKS! MERCI! www.africa-union.org, www.nepad.org Office of Science & Technology:ASTII Contact: