Presentation on theme: "SUPPORT OF IDB TO CENSUSES IN LATIN AMERICA AND THE CARIBBEAN Towards the Optimization of the Technology in Statistical Data Collection and Processing."— Presentation transcript:
SUPPORT OF IDB TO CENSUSES IN LATIN AMERICA AND THE CARIBBEAN Towards the Optimization of the Technology in Statistical Data Collection and Processing ______________________________________
Structure of Presentation 1.Introduction 2.Experience 3.Characteristics of our Programs 4.Conclusions (challenges)
1. Introduction The Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) has been a very active participant in promoting the development of statistics in the Region. Financing census-related activities (2000 round and initial stages of 2010 round): –Loans to nine (9*) countries. Financing modernization process and strengthening of the statistics office: –Loans to five (5) countries.
2. Experience Three types: –Loan to finance census activities. –Loan to finance projects of institutional modernization/strengthening. –Financial support to regional activities.
2. Experience Loan to finance census activities: –The first loan to finance the execution of census was for Bolivia in 1999 to support the execution of its census in 2001. Is census recurrent cost or investment? –The most recently executed loan to support the financing of census was in Colombia, to support the general census 2005.
2. Experience The following operations to finance census processes were prepared but later cancelled: –Guatemala 2003 – US$25.0 millions. –El Salvador 2005 – US$13.5 millions.
2. Experience The executed loan have financed all kinds of budgetary lines: –Purchase of equipment. –Hiring of personnel. –Consultancy (technical assistance). The Bank’s operation has provided learning experiences. The IDB looks to work in coordination/cooperation with specialized agencies: CELADE and UNFPA.
2. Experience Financial support to regional activities: –Promote coordination between countries. –Support horizontal cooperation between countries.
3.Characteristics of our programs The focus of our loan operations have evolved over time. Specific needs of the country that requests financing are taken into consideration. Aim to have an inclusive vision that facilitates smooth flow of resources. Emphasize that the resources channeled to the execution of the census are an investment.
4. Conclusions (challenges) In summary the Bank’s support focuses on the three areas: –Loans to finance censuses. –Loans to finance processes of institutional strengthening/modernization. –Support to processes of regional and sub- regional coordination/cooperation.
4. Conclusions (challenges) The Big Challenge is to place the theme of census in the agenda of the government in view of the imminence of the following census: –So that its financing would be already included in the budget with national resources. –Otherwise, so that the dialogue with the IDB would include the possibility to contemplate a loan to finance it.