3Fill in the blanks with proper prepositions: 1. His father will be back from London＿＿＿a few days.2. The train leaves＿＿＿6：00 pm, so I have to be at the station＿＿＿5：40 pm at the latest?3. ＿＿＿the gate and you’ll find the entrance＿＿the park＿＿＿the other side.4. One＿＿＿ five will have the chance to join in the game.5. —— Do you go there ＿＿＿bus? —— No, we go there ＿＿＿a train.inatbyAttooninbyin
4Fill in the blanks with proper prepositions: 6. I made the coat ＿＿＿my own hands. It was made＿＿＿hand, not with a machine.7. The trees ＿＿＿front of the house are ＿＿＿the charge of Mr. Li.A. in；in B. at；in C. in；by D. from；in8. The old man died＿＿＿ cold ＿＿＿a cold night.9. My uncle lives＿＿＿116 Changhe Street. His room is ＿＿＿the sixth floor.10. I don’t think you can work out the maths problem＿＿＿her help.withbyAonofatonwithout
5Prepositions are used before a noun or a noun phrase Prepositions are used before a noun or a noun phrase. And when a verb is used after a preposition, it is usually used in its-ing form.Read the dialogue on Page 8 and fill in the blanks with proper prepositions.Answers(1) for (2) at (3) until (4) by (5) during (6) to
6Prepositions with verbs Some verbs in English are paired with a particular preposition to create an expression. Each of these expressions has a particular meaning.speak to 和……说话stay with 和某人呆在一起think about 考虑有关……write to 给某人写信look for 寻找wait for 等待take care of 照顾call on（sb.）拜访arrive at（in）到达
7Prepositions with nouns Prepositions can also be combined with nouns, e.g. in time for, on time, by means of,by accident, for/on sale, in air, on the market, in that case, up to date …at least 至少at present 目前at first 起初at once 立刻at last 最后（终于）at night 夜晚on foot 步行on one’s way 在去某地的路上on the telephone 用电话on time 准时for a while 一会儿for example 例如for oneself 为了自己for hours（days years）有好几小时（天，年）
8in English 用英语in those days在当时in class 课上in time 及时in all 总计in advance 事前in the meantime 与此同时in place 适当地in hopes of(或in the hope of) 怀着 希望in connection with 和……有关in contact with 和……联系in addition to 除......以外in case of 倘若，万一in conflict with 和......冲突in force 有效的，大批
9in depth 彻底地 in regard to 关于 in the neighborhood of 大约、邻近 in retrospect 回顾，一想起 in behalf of 代表......利益 in the least 一点，丝毫 in alarm 惊慌、担心 in the opinion of 据……见解 in the long run 从长远说来 in one's opinion 在……看来 in word 口头上 in a word 总之 in vain 无益地, 白白地
10in case 如果，万一，以防 in detail 详细地 in haste 急急忙忙地 in conclusion 总之 in spite of 尽管 in other words... 换句话说 in return 作为回报 in the name of 以......名义 be confident in 对......有信心 be interested in 对......感兴趣 in doubt 怀疑in debt 负债 by the way 顺便说 by oneself 独自地after school 放学后of course 当然
11Prepositions with adjectives Some prepositions can also be combined with adjectives, e. g. good at, capable of, fond of, full of, happy with …be absent from 缺席be proud of 以……为自豪be different from 和……不同be famous for 因……而著名be fond of…… 爱好，喜欢be pleased with 乐于be sorry for（sth.）为……抱歉be afraid of 害怕……be kind to 对某人亲切be good at 在……做得好；擅长于……be late for 迟到
12Now, please complete the introduction to the digital camera on page 9. Answers(1)on sale (2) up to date (3) capable of (4) stands for (5) satisfied with(6) on the market (7) In that case (8) in time for (9) up to (10) agree withFurther explanation of Prepositions:1. Prepositions of manner and means. The prepositions in (---manner/way), by , with , without , as or like can be used to refer to manner, meaning ‘how one does something’.
13She spoke in her usual way as if nothing had happened. The teacher came into the classroom, with some books on her hands.He cannot run as quickly as his brother.We managed to sell our car by advertising it in the newspaper.
142. The functions of prepositional phrases as an adverbialMy mother has worked in the school for nearly twenty years.To our great surprise, all of the students have passed the exam.My father goes to work on foot, but if it rain, he will go by bus.as an attributeThe girl under the tree is my good friend.The book with a red cover was given to me as abirthday present.Please pass me the one on the left.
15Later, I found my watch in my pocket. I left my book in the classroom. As an object complementLater, I found my watch in my pocket.I left my book in the classroom.Before it is ready to eat, we’d better keep it in the fridge for a while.3. When a preposition is used after an intransitive verb to form a prepositional verb, the prepositional verb can be followed by an object. For example :Who will look after the children when Mother is away?You can always believe in him. He won’t let you down.Let’s look over the notes before the test.
17收音、农场、值日on，关于、基础、靠、著论。 着、罢、出售、偷、公、假，故意、支付、相反，准。特定时日和"一……就"，on后常接动名词。年、月、日加早、午、晚，of之前on代in。步行、驴、马、玩笑on，cab，carriage则用in。at山脚、门口、在当前，速、温、日落、价、核心。工具、和、同随with，具有、独立、就、原因。就……来说宾译主，对、有、方状、表细分。海、陆、空、车、偶、被by，单数、人类know to man。this、that、tomorrow，yesterday，next、last、one。接年、月、季、星期、周，介词省略已习惯。over、under正上下，above、below则不然，若与数量词连用，混合使用亦无关。
18beyond超出、无、不能，against靠着，对与反。 besides，except分内外，among之内along沿。同类比较except，加for异类记心间。原状because of,、 owing to、 due to表语形容词 under后接修、建中，of、from物、化分。before、after表一点, ago、later表一段。 before能接完成时，ago过去极有限。 since以来during间，since时态多变换。与之相比beside，除了last but one。 复不定for、找、价、原，对、给、段、去、为、作、赞。 快到、对、向towards，工、学、军、城、北、上、南。 but for否定用虚拟，复合介词待后言。 ing型由于鉴，除了除外与包合。 之后、关于、在......方面，有关介词须记全。 in内to外表位置，山、水、国界to在前。
201. The Internet has brought ________big changes in the way we work A. about B. out C. back D. up高考链接2. It was a pity that the great writer died _____his works unfinished. (2004福建)A. for B. with C. from D. of3. You can’t wear a blue jacket _____that shirt—it’ll look terrible. (2004湖南)A. on B. above C. up D. over
214. I feel that one of my main duties ____ a teacher is to help the students to become better learners. （2004广东）A. for B. by C. as D. with5. In order to change attitudes _____employing women, the government is bringing in new laws. (2004北京春)A. about B. of C. towards D. on6. I am sorry it’s ________my power to make a final decision on the project. (2004上海春)A. over B. above C. off D. beyond
227. They had a pleasant chat _______a cup of coffee. (2003北京) A . for B. with C. during D. over8. The conference has been held to discuss the effects of tourism ________the wildlife in the area. (2003上海)A. in B. on C. at D. with9. The speech by the mayor of Shanghai before the final voting for EXPO 2010 is strongly impressed ______my memory. (2003上海春)A . to B. over C. by D. on
2310. ---what do you want ______those old boxes what do you want ______those old boxes?---To put thing in when I move to the new flat. (2002北京)A. by B. for C. of D. with11. Luckily, the bullet narrowly missed the captain ______an inch. (2002上海)Ａ．by B. at C. to D. from12. The home improvements have taken what little there is _____--my spare time. (2001全国)A. from B. in C. of D. at
2413. Rose was wild with joy _____the result of the examination A . to B. at C. by D. as14. This new model of car is so expensive that it is _______ the reach of those with average income. (2006江苏） A. over B. within C. beyond D. below 15. It’s quite ________me why such things have been allowed to happen. (2006安徽）A．for B．behindC．Against D．beyond
2516. --Can he take charge of the computer company 16. --Can he take charge of the computer company?--I’m afraid it’s _____ his ability. （2006四川） A. beyond B. within C. of C. to 17. Sorry, Madam. You’d better come tomorrow because it’s ______the visiting hours. （2006福建） A. during B. atC. beyond D. before 18. －You know, Bob is a little slow ____ understanding, so…－So I have to be patient ____ him. (2005重庆卷)A. in; with B. on; withC. in; to D. at; for
2619. He got to the station early, ____ missing the train. (2004江苏) A. in case of B. instead ofC. for fear of D. in search of20. Marie Curie took little notice __ the honors that were given to her in her later years. (2002上海)A. of B. on C. about D. from
281．He is running＿＿the wind towards the station＿＿Tom running ＿＿the right. A. down；and； on B. against； with； onC. for；with；in D. with；while；to2. In Hangzhou Mr. Black was so struck＿＿the beauty of nature that he stayed＿＿another night.at；on B. with；atC. for；in D. by； for3. —— How long has the bookshop been in business?—— ＿＿＿＿＿＿1987.After B. In C. From D. Since
294. We offered him our congratulations＿＿＿＿＿his passing the college entrance exams. A. at B. on C. for D. of5. Guangdong lies＿＿＿the south of China and Fujian is＿＿＿the east of it. Hainan is＿＿the coast of the mainland.A. in；in；on B. in；on；offC. on；to；on D. in；to；away6. The student, ＿whom all the teachers are pleased, is very strict ＿himself ＿ everything.A. to； with；in B. with；with；inC. with；at；with D. at；with；at
307. Some doctors were sent to the front where medical workers were ＿＿＿. A. in great need B. in great need ofC. needed great D. needed in8. ＿＿＿＿＿hearing the good news, they jumped with joy.A. For B. To C. On D. At9. She is well-known＿＿＿＿her poems and she is also famous ＿＿＿an actress.for；for B. as；for C. for；as D. by； for
3110. He climbed silently＿＿＿＿＿＿seizing the thief＿＿＿＿＿＿. A. in the purpose；by surprise B. with purpose of; surprisinglyC. with purpose of; surprisedly D. with the purpose of; by surprise11. The touch they had both kept in ＿＿＿many years broke.A. for B. on C. into D. with12. The pianist began to play and the girl in red began to sing ＿＿＿＿the music.A. with B. alongC. through D. to
3213. He divided the sweets＿＿＿the children who were divided ＿＿＿three groups. A. in；in B. into；intoC. between；in D. among；into14. Early ＿＿＿the morning of May 1, we started off＿＿＿the mountain village.A. in；for B. in；toC. on；／ D. on；for15. Ted has been absent＿＿＿＿＿class for quite some time.A. for B. with C. Of D. from
3316. The railway was opened＿＿＿＿＿＿traffic＿＿＿＿＿＿＿ April 4, 1985. A. to；on B. to；inC. by；on D. for；on17. _____ being a little large, the hat looks nice.A. Apart from B. Except for C. But for D. All above18. The key ____ success lies ______ persistence and hard work.A. to; in B. of; for C. for; to D. of; in19. －This is Jane speaking.－Oh, it’s you. Your voice sounds quite different ____ on the phone.A. for B. from C. by D. on20.The picture looks very beautiful _____ the light wall.A. in B. of C. over D. against
341. 他们在临行前夕举行了一次告别宴会，他们的团长发表了告别讲话. Translation:1. 他们在临行前夕举行了一次告别宴会，他们的团长发表了告别讲话.On the eve of their departure they gave a farewell banquet and their head gave a farewell speech.2. 靠月薪100元的收入，你是买不起奢侈品的。You can't afford luxuries, on an income of 100 yuan a month．3. 相反，这事儿很容易理解。On the contrary, it was very easy to understand.4．昨天他看望了他的叔叔。He called on his uncle yesterday.
357. 学期开始，我们的班主任老师对我们要求非常严格。 5. 他的继母对他很好。His step-mother was kind to him.6. 我确实不能用英语流利地表达我的思想。I really can't express my idea in English freely in-deed．7. 学期开始，我们的班主任老师对我们要求非常严格。At the beginning of this term the teacher in charge of our class was very strict with us.8．这位教师正用一支新笔批改论文。The teacher is correcting the paper with a new pen.
371. direction (P8)n. [U] control or instruction: 命令The project was under the direction of a well-known academic.[C] the position towards which someone or sth. moves or faces: 方向"No, go that way, " I said, pointing in the opposite direction.He was going in the direction of the bedroom.They drove away in opposite directions.
38Can you give me directions to your house? plural noun: instructions that you give to someone about how to find a particular place: 指路Can you give me directions to your house?"Did you have any difficulty finding the theatre?“"No, your directions were excellent.“plural noun: information or orders telling you what to do: 指导,说明I couldn't understand the directions on the packet.He will be giving/issuing directions to judges on sentencing in the next few days.
39高考链接1. I saw a woman running to ward me in the dark. Before I could recognize who she was，she had run back in the direction she had come. (2006重庆)A. of which B. by which C. in which D. from which2. I am sure David will be able to find the library—he has a pretty good _________ of direction. (2005浙江)A．Idea B．feeling C．experience D．sense
402. anyhow (P8)adv. (ALSO anyway) whatever else is happening; not considering other things: 无论如何,不管怎样Of course I don't mind taking you home - I'm going that way anyway."I thought you said everyone had left." "Well, some of them have anyway.“Her parents were opposed to her giving up her course, but she did it anyway.
41used in conversation to emphasize what is being said: 究竟,到底 I don't have time to go and anyway it's too expensive.What was he doing with so much of the company's money in his personal account anyway?In conversation, anyway is also used to change the subject, return to an earlier subject or get to the most interesting point:Anyway, as I said, I'll be away next week.Anyway, in the end I didn't wear your jacket.
42高考链接I'm certain David's told you his business troubles. ______, it's no secret that he owes a lot of money to the bank. (2006湖北)A. However B. AnywayC. Therefore D. Though
43in that case (P9)in that casebecause of the mentioned situation: 假如那样There's no coffee left? In that case I'll have tea.in the case of with reference to, or in the situation of: 假如The law will apply equally to men and women except in the case of maternity leave.(just) in case because of a possibility of something happening, being needed, etc: 以防万一I don't think I'll need any money but I'll bring some just in case.Bring a map in case you get lost.
44高考链接1． I don’t think I’ll need any money but I’ll bring some _________. (2000 全国)A．at last B． in case C．once again D．in time2. I can think of many cases students obviously knew a lot of English words and expressions but couldn’t write a good essay. (2003上海)A．why B．which C．as D．where3. _______ is often the case, we have worked out the production plan. (2004江苏)A. Which B. When C. What D. As
45高考链接 4. -- It's cloudy outside. Please take an umbrella. -- __________. (2005湖南)A. Yes, take it easy B. Well, it just dependsC. OK, just in case D. All fight, you're welcome5.—I’m afraid Mr. Wood can’t see you until 4 o’clock.—Oh, _________ I won’t wait. (2005浙江)A．no doubt B．after allC．in that case D．in this way
46up to (P9)1) used to say that sth. is less than or equal to but not more than a stated value, number or level: 多达,高达Up to two hundred people were on board the ship. We can teach dancers up to intermediate level here.2) until: 直到Up to yesterday, we had no idea where the child was.
473) be up to sb. to be the responsibility of someone: 由某人决定 It's up to the manager to make the final decision.4) be up to sth. to be doing sth., often sth. bad or illegal, usually secretly: 忙于……,做……She's up to no good (= doing something bad or forbidden) - you can always tell because she stays in her room.He looks very suspicious hanging around by the bins - I'm sure he's up to something.
48高考链接1．--- What do you want to do next? We have half an hour until the basketball game.----- _____. Whatever you want to do is fine with me. (2004浙江)A. It just depends B. It’s up to youC. All right D. Glad to hear that2. －Shall we go to the art exhibition right away?－ (2005安徽)A. It’s your opinion B. I don’ t mindC. It’s all up to you D. That’s your decision