Presentation on theme: "Project Writing a film review Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone Unit 4."— Presentation transcript:
Project Writing a film review Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone Unit 4
Lets enjoy some pictures.
First reading: How is this reading passage organized? Part 1: Part 2: Part 3: Part 4: brief introduction of the films plot the writers commentary on the special effects and acting in the film Para.6~7 problems of the film Para.8 recommendation by the writer Para.1~3 Para.4~5
Second reading: Where is the film set? What does the writer think about the three young actors? What is the complaint many people have made about the film? what problem does the writer think the film has?
Check the answers 1. Where is the film set? It is set in England. 2. What does the writer think about the three young actors? The three young actors are the real highlight of the film. They do very well even compared with the experienced adult actors.
3. What is the complaint many people have made about the film? The film is too long. At 142 minutes, it is almost a half hour longer than an average film. 4. What problem does the writer think the film has? The writer feel too much time is dedicated in showing the sport in Quidditch and several interesting scenes were deleted from the film.
Details: listen to the tape and complete the following table. Main character Information about the characterPlayed by Harry Potter Hagrid (A sensitive boy whose parents were a wizard and a witch and were killed by an evil wizard when Harry was a baby. living with his relatives, the Dursleys, and abused, ignored and hated by them. having the magic powers of wizard and a reputation in the world of witches and wizards because of his parents.) a very large person who works at Hogwarts and rescues Harry from the Dursleys and takes him to the school Daniel Radcliffe Robbie Coltrane
Details: listen to the tape and complete the following table. Main characterInformation about the characterPlayed by Ron Weasley Hermione Granger Voldemort Harrys friend and schoolmate Harrys friend and schoolmate Rupert Grint Emma Eatson the schools evil wizard, who killed Harrys parent
1. Who has not dreamt of suddenly finding out that he or she is actually someone special and famous? (line 1) dream of…,,, V-ing ;,,. When I was young, I ________________ a star film.( ) Ive always _______________________. ( ) dreamed of becoming dreamed of owning a house like this
2. Harry, a sensitive young boy, has been living with his relatives. (Line 3) It has been raining non-stop since last night. I wonder when it will stop. I have been knocking. I dont think anybodys in. Oh, you have come at last! I have been waiting for you for two long hours.
3. Contrary to this, Harry finds out that his father was a wizard……( Line 6) contrary to ……,.,, He is an able politician,_________________. ( ) ___________________, he gave up his job. ( ) contrary to popular belief Contrary to all advice
4. His uncle abuses him; his aunt ignores him; his cousin hates him. (Line 4) These prisoners were abused mentally and physically for years. Some necessary actions should be taken to fight against drug abuse.
ignore; ignorance He ignored the insulting remarks and carried on his research.,
5. While the report of Quidditch is an important part of the book….I feel that too much time is dedicated in the film to showing it. (Line 44) while :,., though, although.,. While/Though/ Although I am willing to help, I do not have much time available.
dedicate oneself/ something to (doing) something It is well known that Madame Cruie dedicates herself to science.
6. I think this is more to highlight the advanced special effects than to help the films plot. (Line 44) 1) I was more annoyed than worried when he didnt come home. 2)To them, music is more a way of life than just an interest.
highlight,,, 3) The governmental report highlights______________________ the necessity and importance of educational reforms.
highlight, (, ) ; ; 4) ____________________( )will be shown this Saturday evening as we expect. The highlights of the World Cup
7. This shows that the film-makers did not give enough thought to who the audience of the film would be. (Line 51) give enough thought to: …… 1) Natalie wanted to give a thought to what I said.
8. The important and interesting parts of the film occur in the world of magic, not at Privet Drive. (Line 55) 1), _______________________________________________ ____________________________. happen, take place, come about The big fire occurred in the early morning and many people lost their lives.
______________________________________ 4) --- ______________________________ ___________________ 3) It never occurred to us that he had become a famous scientist. A wonderful idea occurred to me -- - we can travel to Mars in space shuttles in the future.
Starting the project--- Write a film review Planning Presenting Producing Preparing Purpose of a film review: to inform readers about a particular film before they watch it. Steps:
Planning : Get into groups (5-6Ss per group) Discuss the questions in Part B
Preparing: 1. One in each group write down the answers to questions 6-8; 2. Choose a film to review; 3. What should be included in a film review? topic plot major characters production year comment on the film
Producing: Practice your presentation
Presenting: Each group should present your review to the others. You decide which groups performance is the best.
Homework: 1) Review the text. 2) Try to remember the language points. 3) Finish writing a film review.