Presentation on theme: "M10U3 Protecting ourselves. 1.Do you think they are beautiful? poppy ['p ɔ pi] : beautiful poison!"— Presentation transcript:
M10U3 Protecting ourselves
1.Do you think they are beautiful? poppy ['p ɔ pi] : beautiful poison!
10% of the world population are involved in drug production.
140,000,000 persons are taking drugs of marijuana ( )
13,000,000 people are taking cocain( )
86,000,000 people are taking heroin
Up to 100,000 people die from taking illegal drugs every year.
75% of the drug users in china are youngsters under the age of 25
Whats your feeling when seeing those pictures?
What should you do?
1. Which of the following statements is NOT true? A. Some people take drugs because they want to rebel against their families or society. B. Some people take drugs because they dont want to live any longer. C. Some people take drugs because they hope to make friends with drug users. D. Some people take drugs because they feel curious about them.
2. We know from the passage that _________. A. all drugs are illegal B. uppers can slow the heart rate and make users feel happy C. downers can cause depression and make users see things that dont really exist there. D. the drug LSD can change the way people think and see the world
3. What does the law say about taking drugs? A. Everyone is forbidden to take drugs. B. A person will be punished according to the type and quantity of illegal drugs he is carrying when caught. C. Illegal drug-sellers can avoid being kept in prison as long as they offer enough money. D. You can buy drugs but you mustnt sell them.
4. It can be inferred from the last part that _________. A. it takes strong will to break drug addiction B. drug users dont necessarily seek help from a hospital or drug clinic C. psychologists can do little to help drug users D. illegal drugs usually damage their users psychologically not physically
Task-based Reading Taking Drugs 1.__to satisfy their 2. __________ to rebel against their families or society to be 3._________by friends ( drug users) Effectsuppers : increasing the heart rate; making users feel 4._________and happy; downers: decreasing the heart rate; making users feel relaxed and 5.________, even die drugs like LSD: confusing the brain; seeing or hearing something6.__________, which may lead to commit suicide 7.__paying a fine; going to prison; being 8._________ to death Helpadmitting their problem with drugs and 9.__________ help staying in hospital and taking special medicine Having 10.____________or group sessions with a psychologist. Reasons Punishments curiosity accepted energetic sleepy unreal sentenced /condemned seeking individual
(L1) (L5) … (L9) (L21) (L22) (L28) end in a messy situation rebel against families or society have a/an … effect on the body have trouble quitting smoking be referred to as slide into addiction
….. …… (L34) (L35) (L43) (L46) (L55) (L56) range from…to… commit suicide break drug addiction start over again in the first place ones health and well-being
1. It can be easy to ______________ bad habits such as smoking and heavy drinking, but it is not so easy to stop. 2. If the students had not asked a question _______________, the teacher wouldnt have found the mistake. 3. Many companies begin well enough, but ________failure. slide into in the first place end in Fill in blanks using words learnt above
4. In the summer vacation our company usually hires some students ______________ 15 to 20 to hand out leaflets. 5. At the end of the Ming Dynasty, the peasants ________________their government under the leadership of Li Zicheng. ranging from rebelled against
Writing 100 Just say no! end in a messy situation rebel against families or society have a … effect on the body have trouble doing sth. slide into addiction commit suicide break drug addiction ones health and well-being
Dear fellow students, Today is 26th June, the International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking. It is a day when all nations are expected to work together to fight against drug abuse. It is reported that over one million people in China take illegal drugs and the number is still increasing. Worse still, a large number of them are teenagers. Once addicted to drugs, its difficult for you to get rid of them. Many drug takers lose their possessions or families in order to obtain drugs. Some even commit crimes and end up in prison. As high school students, we must know the danger of drug abuse. We should try our best to help those who need help. We should stay away from drugs and value our own lives. Dear fellow students, for the benefit of ourselves, our families and the whole of society, lets start right now and spare no effort to make our life better!