1,, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, … 7, 8, 9, 10, next to earn respect from achieve high grades sound like for free at the end of for example word by word on average according to
11, …, … 12, 13, … 14,,, 15, 16,, 17, … 18, 19, 20, … be available for win an award develop an interest refer to bring back leave out donate …to make a speech miss the chance give a messages to sb
21, 22,, … 23, ( ) 24, 25, … 26, … 27, … inform sb of sth live on read out meet up with sb/come across/run into sb be responsible for be based on/upon consist of
at ease with earn respect for free Upon arriving… develop an interest in… 1.Dexter liked the picture editor and felt ____________ him. 2.After he retired, he ____________________ collecting stamps. 3. He is so kind that he offered to do the work ___________. 4. Our headteacher is hardworking and open-minded, so he ____________________. 5. _______________ there, the soldiers began to save the victims buried under the ruins. at ease with developed an interest for free earns our respect Upon arriving
Practice: Practice: 1.The professor who is giving a lecture on outer space now ______ often ____________ (listen to) make speeches on TV. 2. I am sorry, but we dont seem to ___________ ___________(introduce) to each other before. 3. Much attention should be paid _____________ (protect) the wild animals as many of them are dying out. 4. The paintings ________ (donate) to the school ___ now _______________ (display) in the assembly hall. is listened to to have been introduced donated is being displayed to protecting
5. ______________________ (not experience) failures so far, the girl cannot imagine how hard life sometimes can be. 6. My uncle sent me an , ____________ (encourage) me to learn English well. 7. Arguing with such a person means __________ (waste) your time. 8. When the earthquake happened, it sounded like a train ________ (go) under the ground. 9. ____________ (run) the company for ten years, she accumulated a lot of experience in management. encouraging wasting Not having experienced going Having run
Multiple choices: 1.He told us that the best way to earn respect from the school was to work hard and ______ high grades. A. acquire B. win C. achieve D. make achieve : to successfully complete something or get a good result, especially by working hard.
2. I found the homework was not as heavy as what I used to get in my old school, but it was a bit _____ for me at first because all homework was in English. A. boring B. amusing C. shocking D. challenging 3. Students at that school have to sutdy Maths, English and Science, but can ____ some subjects if they dont like them. A. prevent B. resist C. fall D. drop
4. The radio club in our school is great because it is ____ by the students for the school. A. organized B. run C. prepared D. joined 5. When I asked the headmaster if muxic could be played during break time, he ____ my idea and two years later I am the oldest student member of the radio club. A. approved B. agreed C. allowed D. proved
1 Going to a British high school for one year was a very enjoyable and exciting experience for me. Going -ing. Practice: 1 2 Reading without understanding makes no sense. Listening carefully in class and reviewing in time is the best way to improve your studies.
as, …… Practice: 1. 2 We finished the work in time as we had expected. We'd better leave things as they are until the police arrive. 2. I do like eating desserts after meals as you mentioned in your articles.
3. Upon finishing his studies, he started travelling in China. Upon on as soon as Practice: 1. 2 On arriving there, they got down to rescuing the people trapped in the ruins. On hearing the news, people held up glasses and began to cheer each other.
The more choices you have, the better your final decision will be. The+ …, the+ …, …… ……. Practice: The higher they climbed, the thinner the air was. The more he talked, the more excited he became.
1. Who is the teacher that teaches you English? 2. Which is the book that you borrowed from the library? 1.This is the most interesting story that I have ever read. 2. Do you still remember the first day that we spent together? 3. Ive read all the books that you lent me. 4. This is the very book that Im looking for. He told me about all the people and things that he had met on the way.
He is not the man that he used to be. 1.He is one of the students who have been to America in our class. 2. He is the only one of the students who has been to America in our class. 1. The English play _____ my students acted at the New Years party was a great success. A. for which B. at which C. in which D. on which
2. Alex asked the policeman _____ he worked to contact him whenever there was an accident. A. with him B. who C. with whom D. whom 3. He was not the man _____ he was before. A. what B. that C. who D. as 4. Do you still remember the days ____ we spent together in the country? A. what B. which C. when D. where
5. Anyway, that evening, ____ Ill tell you more about later, I ended up staying at Rachels place. A. when B. where C. what D. which 6. I work in a business _____ almost everyone is waiting for a great chance. A. how B. which C. where D. that 7. What surprised me was not what he said but _____ he said it. A. the way B. in the way that C. in the way D. in way which
8. Luckily, wed brought a road map without ____ we would have lost our way. A. it B. that C. this D. which 9. She is no longer the sweet little girl _____ she used to be. A. what B. who C. when D. that You should say sorry to Bob. ---Yes, I regret _____ with him. A. to quarrel B. quarrelling C. quarrelled D. have quarrelled
: 1.All ______ is needed is your hard work. 2.In the dark street, there wasnt a single person to _______ she could turn for help. 3.Is there anything else ______ you require? 4.Is this the reason _______ he gave for being late? 5.That is the very person ________ is known to all. 6.The house ________ roof was damaged has now been repaired. 7.Is there anything ________ belongs to you here? 8.He often helps the students ________ he thinks are not good at their lessons.