Presentation on theme: "Main Facts About Malta. 1. The Republic of Malta comprises an archipelago, with only the three largest islands (Malta, Gozo, and Comino) being inhabited."— Presentation transcript:
Main Facts About Malta
1. The Republic of Malta comprises an archipelago, with only the three largest islands (Malta, Gozo, and Comino) being inhabited. It is situated between Sicily and North Africa surrounded by the Mediterranean Sea.
2. Having a population of 400,000 inhabitants within an area of 316 km2 Malta is the most densely populated State in Europe.
3. The capital of Malta is Valetta. The city is named after Jean Parisot de la Valette, a Grand Master of the Knights of St John. Malta has many beautiful churches, palaces and auberges that were built by the Knights of Malta.
4. After the reign of the Knights and two years under French rule, Great Britain formally acquired possession of Malta in More than one century later in 1964 Malta became independent and joined the EU in 2004.
5. In consequence of the history influences from different cultures are omnipresent in the Maltese language, food and architecture.