Presentation on theme: "ENERGY STAR and Green Affordable Housing Green Homes and Sustainable Communities 2007 Presented by Ted Leopkey ENERGY STAR Residential Branch."— Presentation transcript:
ENERGY STAR and Green Affordable Housing Green Homes and Sustainable Communities 2007 Presented by Ted Leopkey ENERGY STAR Residential Branch
Enterprise - 2007 ENERGY STAR Award Winner Through its Green Communities program, Enterprise has invested $350 million to create more than 7,000 energy-efficient affordable homes in 23 states around the country. Excellence in Energy–Efficient Affordable Housing
Why is Energy Efficiency Important? Protects the Environment Adds Comfort Reduces Cost of Ownership If you are not building ENERGY STAR you are not building affordable housing!
Energy Efficiency Envelope Distribution Equipment Lighting Appliances IAQ and Durability Moisture/Mold Soil-gas Control Pest Mgt. HVAC Combust. Safety Materials Commissioning Resource Efficiency Site Planning Water Materials Waste Mgt. Renewables Green Home Staircase A Green Home Begins with ENERGY STAR Blue
Multi-Family Sector 75% of multi-family sector is covered by ENERGY STAR New Homes Program What about the other 25%?
Multi-Family High-Rise Barriers to overcome in developing an ENERGY STAR Program: – Split incentive – Tenant turn over – Modeling tools – Limited Data – No definition of energy efficient building – No clear diagnostic procedures
Ad-hoc National Working Group Recommended: – 20% better than ASHRAE 90.1 as defined by appendix G – Top quartile on RECS benchmarking tool Developed: – Cost Guidelines – Minimum Performance Standards – Simulation Guidelines – System Performance Testing Protocols
Multi-Family High-Rise Pilots Pilots running in NY, WI and OR Intend to expand pilot To become an ENERGY STAR Program Cost Effective Represents real energy reduction Provides value in the market place Feasible and easy to implement
Other Opportunities Lighting, appliances, and water heaters are a significant part of the base loads. Make them ENERGY STAR! Existing Family Units ENERGY STAR lighting, appliances, windows and water heaters Percent Efficiency Improvement 15% to 20% Cost to Upgrade per Unit $567 Savings per Unit$156 Pay Back Period3.6 years
Other Opportunities Development of benchmarking tool for use in existing multi-family
WHATS IN ENERGY STAR INDOOR AIR PACKAGE? + Materials Moisture Control + Pest Management + Combustion Systems + HVAC Systems + Radon Control + QUALIFIED HOME
All this for <$1 a Day! WHAT IS THE VALUE PROPOSITION FOR YOU Added Protection: – Wet basements – Mold and mildew problems – Radon exposure – Pests and termites – Harmful chemicals – Dust and pollen – Combustion gases Plus Fresh Filtered Air – R eplaced ~8 times per day Plus More Quality Assurance – Third party verified – Government backed-label
For More Information ENERGY STAR: http://www.energystar.gov IAP: http://www.energystar.gov/homes then follow the links for Indoor Air Package