Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

A PRODUCTION PRACTICES SURVEY OF COW-CALF PRODUCERS IN NORTHEASTERN OREGON: ASSESSING THE INDUSTRYS EDUCATIONAL NEEDS Cory Parsons, PAS Associate Professor,

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "A PRODUCTION PRACTICES SURVEY OF COW-CALF PRODUCERS IN NORTHEASTERN OREGON: ASSESSING THE INDUSTRYS EDUCATIONAL NEEDS Cory Parsons, PAS Associate Professor,"— Presentation transcript:

1 A PRODUCTION PRACTICES SURVEY OF COW-CALF PRODUCERS IN NORTHEASTERN OREGON: ASSESSING THE INDUSTRYS EDUCATIONAL NEEDS Cory Parsons, PAS Associate Professor, Department of Animal Sciences OSU Extension Baker & Union Counties

2 Introduction & Goals Need to provide timely and pertinent information In order to monitor/measure change I needed to assess the current status Decided to conduct a producer survey

3 Materials & Methods Modified an existing survey (Bohnert et al. 2005) Modified a 22 question survey into a more comprehensive 27 question survey Focusing on economically important cow/calf management practices Mailed 415 self addressed-stamped confidential surveys to cow/calf producers in Baker and Union counties of northeaster Oregon Waited 2 month and sent a reminder After 4 months we analyzed the responses

4 Results Analyzed data using SPSS 13.0, 2004 (SPSS Inc., Chicago, Illinois) 103 total surveys were returned (25%) –72 surveys from Baker County (20%) –31 surveys from Union County (7%) Although County survey data results often varied, for the purpose of this presentation all results have been pooled and will be reported as such.

5 Results Herd Size The average herd size varied widely, with the most common herd being head which was reported by 15.7% of respondents. NAHMS % head 19% 50 – 499 head 1% > 500 head

6 Results Type of Operation We listed seven categories for type of beef operation, and respondents were asked to check all that applied. Many respondents listed multiple operation types, indicating the diverse nature of beef production operations in Northeastern Oregon.

7 Results Culling Practices

8

9 Results Cow Replacement Practices

10

11 Results Annual Cow Costs

12 Results Feed Resources

13 NAHMS % conduct forage analysis 22% formulate rations

14 Results Bull Management 81% of the survey respondents purchase their bull battery from either a bull sale or by private treaty. Only 3% of respondents listed the local auction barn as the location they purchase bulls and 10% of producers stated they do a combination of raising their own bulls and purchasing from bull sale.

15 Results Bull Management

16 Results Bull Management (BSE) 65% conduct some type of BSE NAHMS % of producers in the West conduct Semen evaluation

17 Results Cow Reproduction 76% run between cows per bull NAHMS % one calving season 10% 2 or more calving seasons

18 Results Cow Reproduction 63% have a breeding season less than 60 days NAHMS % < 105 days 21.2% <64 days

19 Results Calf Marketing When asked if they currently participate in a retained ownership / niche marketing program 29% stated yes with the remaining 71% stating no.

20 Conclusions Though not totally inclusive I believe that the results of this survey will be extremely valuable in guiding the Extension livestock programming efforts in Northeastern Oregon.

21 Conclusions Practices such as, –not verifying pregnancy –not testing forages –not conducting BSE –not selling open cows are some areas that could benefit from educational efforts with positive impacts.

22 Cory Parsons, PAS Associate Professor, Department of Animal Sciences OSU Extension Baker & Union Counties THANK YOU QUESTIONS


Download ppt "A PRODUCTION PRACTICES SURVEY OF COW-CALF PRODUCERS IN NORTHEASTERN OREGON: ASSESSING THE INDUSTRYS EDUCATIONAL NEEDS Cory Parsons, PAS Associate Professor,"

Similar presentations


Ads by Google