Presentation on theme: "Escambia County, Florida Farm Tour 2005. Escambia County, Florida 661 square miles, or 420,480 acres, with an additional 64,000 acres of water area Population."— Presentation transcript:
Escambia County, Florida Farm Tour 2005
Escambia County, Florida 661 square miles, or 420,480 acres, with an additional 64,000 acres of water area Population of 296,709 Less than 15,000 are considered to farm shares of the total population 45,000 acres farmed 250,000 acres of timberland 10,000 acres of native and improved pastures
2005 Escambia County Agriculture Facts CropAcreage Expected Production Unit Value Gross Value Cotton11,0909,115, 980 lbs$0.73/lb$6,654,665 Cottonseed11,0907,347 tons$95/ton$697,000 Peanuts8,97014, 352 tons$495/ton$7,104,240 Corn1,602000 Wheat1,50093,000 bu$3.40/bu$316,000 Oats35530,175 bu$1.75/bu$52,806 Soybeans1,26050,400 bu$6.21/bu$312,894 Hay6,602$300/ac$1,980,600 Pecans200000
Forestry Facts 250,000 acres held by government, private individuals, and corporations 1306 direct employees $130,000,000 value for standing timber $351,000,000 value added Over $6 million annual growth –Indirect impact of labor income is $313.5 million (5917 jobs)
Why did Escambia County need a Farm Tour?
Objectives To showcase Escambia County's agriculture, aquaculture, and silviculture for community leaders from government, media, and business sectors. To increase the amount of knowledge of agriculture in this county and its positive impact on the economy and the environment. To encourage support of present and future ag businesses. To engage leaders of city, local, state, and federal government, as well as local civic and business leaders, in dialogue with our countys producers so that the two groups might be able to establish a more positive relationship.
First stop: We Dig It
Second Stop: Forestry
Farm Family: The Gilmores
Break Time at the Breaults
Trying to Net a Profit: Catfish
Everyones Favorite Stop: Lunch
In High Cotton
Results and Evaluation 98% rated the information provided on the tour as being excellent, the other 2% rated it as being very good. The dairy stop had the most positive ratings with 92% giving it an excellent score as far as being informative. When asked the question, Did you increase your knowledge of the scope and impact of agriculture and forestry in Escambia County?, 94% of the respondents rated it as YES.