Presentation on theme: "unit 3 unit 3 Using Language Using Language Reading: Reading: Alexander Graham Bell Alexander Graham Bell."— Presentation transcript:
unit 3 unit 3 Using Language Using Language Reading: Reading: Alexander Graham Bell Alexander Graham Bell
Survey: do you have a cellphone? Warming up:
Telephones have become part of our life. But do you know who invented the telephone? Alexander Graham Bell
Reading tips(new words). 1. forehead 2. dynamic 3. dot 4. tap 5. wire 6. straw 7. current 8. helicopter 9. triangle 10. stable 11. associate 12. practical n. fore+head forefinger, forehand adj. dynamite n. n. jet n. tri+angle, bi-, rect- rectangle adj. n. stability n. vt. n. v. n. strawberry v. as+soci+ate social,society adj. impractical n. adj. n.
1.be curious about sth 2.lead to 3.be certain to do 4.follow it/sth up 5.set out to do 6.a moving electrical current 7.be aware of 8.a man to rest 9.a flash of inspiration 1. … … Phrases:
Go through the passage quickly and find out: 1) the main idea of the text. 2) how many inventions are mentioned in the text. Skimming 2)Two. They are the microphone and the telephone. 1) It mainly talks about the _____ of Alexander Graham Bell and his _________. life inventions
1. True or false statements 1). Alexander was interested in deaf education because of his mother. 2).At beginning Bell planned to invent a telephone. 3). The original telegraph could only send one message at a time. 4). Bell invented the first telephone when he was improving the telegraph. 5). Bell used the first telephone to send message as soon as the patent was given. 6). Bell is a curious man. Scanning
1.Alexander was interested in deaf education because of his mother. 2.At beginning Bell planned to invent a telephone. 3.The original telegraph could only send one message at a time. 4.Bell invented the first telephone when he was improving the telegraph. 5.Bell used the first telephone to send message as soon as the patent was given. 6.Bell is a curious man. T F T T F T True or false statements It was not until five days later that Bell sent his first message… Bell never set out to invent the telephone and what he was trying to design was a multiple telegraph.
para.1 para.2 para.3 para.4 para.5 para.6 para.7 A. Bell is a continuing searcher B. Bells life information, and especially interest C. Bells curiosity D. How was the telephone invented E. The importance of his invention-- telephone F. Bells first telephone message G. Bells new discoveries in other areas of invention 2. General idea of each paragraph
How was the telephone invented? aim :want to improve…designed a machine… experimented with…noticed… suddenly had a flash of inspiration: invented… In searching to improve the telegraph, Bell invented the first telephone! By chance Reading for details:(para.3) Chance favors only the prepared mind.
Para 6: 1).What is his new discovery? 2).How did he discover? The tetrahedron shape. While searching for a kite strong enough to carry a man into the air, Bell experimented putting triangles together and discovered it.
1. Leave the beaten track occasonally and dive into the woods. beaten track dive into the woods
2. All really big discoveries are the result of thought. My father died in December. He had spent the last several years in hospital, and my mother spent a lot of time taking care of him. That is, without doubt, a difficult situation for any family. And the ______ was a team of fairly frustrated family members. A. result B. solution C. reward D. review The patient was very thankful to be alive and to all of us who'd worked hard to bring that _____ about. A. benefit B. future C. news D. result
1). Armed with the information you have gathered, you can ________ preparing your business plan. [12 ] A.set out B.set about C.set off D.set up : 3. Bell never set out to invent the telephone and what he was trying.... set out to do set out to do=set about doing=get down to doing ? burst out crying= burst into tears
: 4.The day is coming when telegraph wires will be laid on to houses... when the day 2) The days are gone ______ physical strength was all you needed to make a living.[11 ] A. when B. that C. where D. which Word came that Mr President would come and inspect our school himself.
5. It was this exploring aorund problems and his dynamic spirit that led to his moast famous invention-- the telephone in , but it was not until five days later that Bell sent the first telephone message to his assistant, Watson. It is/was not until… that …. not until It was not until he finished his homework that he went to bed.
3) Ive read another book this week. Well, maybe is not how much you read but what you read that counts.[09 ] A.this B. that C. there D. it 4) It _____ we had stayed together for a couple of weeks ____ I found we had a lot in common. [07 ] A.was until;when B.was until;that C.wasn't until;when D.wasn't until;that :
7. Being very stable, it proved to be invaluable in the design of bridges. 1 being very stable it 2 prove v. ; prove to be turn out (to be) 5). ______that he was in great danger, Eric walked deeper into the forest.[ 08 ] A. Not realized B. Not to realize C. Not realizing D. Not to have realized :
Read the passage aloud. Alexander Graham Bell was an inventor all his life. He was born in 1847 in Scotland. His interest in deaf education led him to invent the microphone. In 1876, he made his most famous invention--the telephone, while in searching to improve the telegraph. Besides these, he aslo made some other important discoveries, such as the tetrahedron shape. His work helped to improve our life quality a lot. Summary
Talking bar Do you think it necessary for students to own cellphones ? Give your opinion and your reasons. Key words: Agree: fashion convenient functions Disagree: waste money/time break rules interrupt be harmful to
Some students think a cellphone necessary and convenient to them. They consider it a fashion to have a cell phone, which can help them contact with their friends wherever they are. However, there are some bad things. Playing with the cellphone may affect our grade and decrease our interest in study. We can often send messages, surf on the net, listen to music and even take photos rather than study English. Moreover, many students are able to use cell phones to cheat during exams, which is not a good thing. Finally, a cellphone may cost a lot of money and the radiation is harmful to us. In a word, we shouldn t own a cellphone.
Homework After class, please write a short passage about your discussion.