Presentation on theme: "What man cannot live in a house? What never asks questions but gets a lot of answers? What kind of dog never bite? What's the poorest bank in the world?"— Presentation transcript:
What man cannot live in a house? What never asks questions but gets a lot of answers? What kind of dog never bite? What's the poorest bank in the world?
How do you deal with the new words or phrases that you meet while reading? Ignore them and continue reading Look them up in the dictionary Guess the meaning
: 1. The word … underlined probably means ___. 2. What does the word … refer to? 3. The underlined word … is the closest in meaning to ______. 4. By saying that…, the writer means that ___.
Just guess! green hand lady bird big potato shanghai japan john On the way to the factory, Jack sang a pop song happily. Because it is the first day for him to work. When he was working, he talked with his workmate. Suddenly, the machine broke down because of his carelessness. Jack was afraid of the blame ( )of his boss. His workmate told him, Take it easy, you are a green hand. Do you like a lady bird? It is not a kind of bird. It is an insect ). It can fly. Its wings are red. It is very small. Tom is a great man. Tom is treated as a big potato. Tourists shanghaied into buying expensive fakes( ). Some guides told them that fakes are good. They are worth buying. Kate: Do you know japan? Alice: Of course, it lies to the east of China? Kate: No, japan is not Japan. Alice: Why? Kate: Japan just like china, you can use japan paint your desk, or furniture. do you know? Tim drank too much water last night, so he went to visit john twice.
The penguin is a kind of bird living in the south pole. It is fat and walks in a funny way. Although it cant fly, it can swim in the icy water to catch the fish. The colour of Hawaii in summer are unforgettable. He is so homely, not at all as handsome as his brother. You shouldnt have blamed him for that, for it wasnt his fault. John usually wastes a lot of money on such useless things. His wife, however, is very thrifty. But sometimes. No rains falls for a long time. The drought is serious. Most of the roses are beginning to wither because of the cold. The modern age of medicine began with the stethoscope, an instrument for listening to patients heartbeat and breathing. Bananas, oranges, pineapples and some other kind of fruit grow in warm areas. You can take any of the periodicals: the World of English, China Daily or Times.
Practice makes perfect!
1. Jane is usually prompt for all her classes, but she arrived in the middle of her first class. A. late B. on time C. pleased 2. Tom saw an owl last night but it flew away when he got near A. a bird B. an animal C. the sun 3. The boy wants to ride a brown pony. A. dog B. cat C. horse 4. The children are looking at a large, hairy ape at the zoo A. a kind of monkey B. a kind of snake C. a kind of bird 5. The fresh trout is very cheap, but I dont know how to cook it A. fish B. fruit C. apple 6. The lady asked the waitress to get her a clean saucer to put her coffee cup on A. a glass B. a cake C. a small plate 7. We seldom see a sparrow in the sky because the air is not so clean now as used to be A. a kind of dog B. a kind of plane C. a kind of bird
Task 1-10 Task Task 21-29
1. Sociology is the term used to describe the scientific study of human society. 2. Jane is indecisive, that is, she cant make up her mind. 3. Though Toms face has been washed quite clean, his neck still remains grubby.
carpenter 4. A person who is skilled at making or repairing wooden objects is called a carpenter. zoologist 5. His uncle is a zoologist, an expert who does research on animals. herdsman 6. The herdsman, who looks after sheep, earns about 650 yuan a year.
7. In the old days, when girls from rich families were married to their husbands, they expected to bring with themselves plenty of dowry. 8. The river is so turbid that it is impossible to see the bottom even when it is shallow.
9. If you dont stop doing like this, youll impair your health. 10. He strayed because of the darkness, and didnt know where he was.,
11. I am moved by the story of this boy. We need the courage to face death, and we should also feel the thankfulness for those who help us. 12. If you agree, write Yes; if you dissent, write No.
13. …Yet, shopkeepers may have to spend extra hours to deal with problems, such as shoplifters, who always take away things from the shop without paying for them. … 14. Doctors believe that smoking is detrimental to people's health. They also regard drinking as harmful.
trim 15. She wanted the hairdresser to trim her hair a bit because it was too long. 16.Li Mings always dawdling, but his sister is hurry.
17. After Ann put the letter in the envelope, she sealed it and put a stamp on it. 18. The tree will have to be cut down for it obstructs the view of oncoming traffic.
19. Mr.Jones, this is Sally Smith. Im sorry, but I cant come to work today. Im feeling under the weather. 20. There are some glaciers moving down the mountain valley. A glacier is a river of ice.
When you visit London, one of the first things you will see is Big Ben, the famous clock which can be heard all over the world on the B.B.C. If the Houses of Parliament had hot been burned down in 1834, the great clock would never have been erected. the Houses of Parliament erect [p ɑ :ləmənt] [ ɪ rekt] The parliament of some countries, for example Britain, is the group of people who make or change its laws, and decide what policies ( ) the country should follow., If people erect something such as a building, or a bridge, they build it or create it.
Big Ben takes its name from Sir Benjamin Hall who was responsible for the making of the clock when the new Houses of Parliament were being built. was responsible for [ risp ɔ nsəbl] Each student should be responsible for their own work. Do you want to be responsible for your own life decision? A man should be responsible for his own action. …
It is not only of immense size, but is extremely accurate as well. Officials from Greenwich Observatory have the clock checked twice a day. immense [imens] extremelyaccurate [ ɪ kstri:mli] [ækjurət] official Greenwich Observatory [əbz ɜ :vətəri] [ ɡ renit ʃ ] [əf ɪʃ əl] That museum is so immense that it will be impossible to see all the exhibits in one day. My mobile phone is extremely useful. These headaches are extremely common. Three of them are working extremely well. The clock is so accurate that it will never lose a second in more than 200 million years. An official of the local government called to see him., An observatory is a building with a large telescope from which scientists study things such as the planets by watching them.
On the B.B.C. you can hear the clock when it is actually striking because microphones are connected to the clock tower. Big Ben has rarely gone wrong. Once, however, it failed to give the correct time. A painter who had been working on the tower hung a pot of paint on one of the hands and slowed it down ! rarely [r ɛ əli] o I very rarely wear a raincoat because I o spend most of my time in a car. Lesson 71 A famous clock Questions on the text Why is Big Ben so named? is Big Ben extremely accurate? can Big Ben be heard on the BBC? did Big Ben fail to give the correct time once?
It is yours, but others use it more than you do. What is it? Name. What is clean when it is black and dirty when it is white? A blackboard. Which letter is a drink? T (Tea). What starts with a T, ends with a T, and is full of T? The more you take away, the bigger I become. What am I?
1.Go over the ideas we talk about today and finish the related exercises. 2. Consult the teacher if you still have any questions on todays topic. Homework
Enjoy English, Enjoy life ! And thank you for your attending !