Presentation on theme: "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer his masterpiece 1876 The Adventures of Tom Sawyer."— Presentation transcript:
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
his masterpiece 1876 The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
Success belongs to those who are well prepared Lets go to exercising room and make good preparations first!
1. … ______________ 2. ______________ 3. ______________ 4. …… ______________ 5. … ______________ 6... ______________ find fault with sb by accident/by chance account for make a bet with sb.on sth take…into account seek help from sb. Exercising Room
7. __________________ 8. __________________ 9. __________________ 10. __________________ 11. …__________________ 12 __________________ be on the scene/spot on the contrary bring up stare at in rags spot sb. doing sth.
13. … __________________ __________________ 15. … __________________ 16. …... __________________ 17. …__________________ 18 __________________ be based on be set in bring out the best in sb. survive sth. be doing…when… sb. be permitted to do sth
19. … __________________ 20. … __________________ __________________ 22. … __________________ 23. __________________ 24. … __________________ 25. _________________ 26. _______________________ That is why… be best known for be patient with earn ones passage by doing The fact is that…… find oneself carried out by the wave wander about work as an unpaid hand
be based on be well known for survive the test make a bet with sb. on sth. permit sb. to do sth. be patient with on the contrary
Hi! Everyone, I am Tom Sawyer.Now are you brave enough to take an adventure to the mysterious island, with me,where lives a monster whois well known for his habit that he will make a bet with visitors on the questions based onwhat he has learned.The monster usually bets that visitors will lose. So those who fail to answer the questions are not permitted to leave the Island. It is said that few have succeeded and survived the test.On the contrary, if they win, the monster will be very patient with them and treat them to a feast they have never had. Of course they are allowed to leave. So are you ready for the adventure with Tom Sawyer?
1. We walked down a long passage to the back of the office building. 2. I couldnt afford the passage to Ausralia. 3. The old bridge isnt strong enough to allow the passage of heavy vehicles. 4. This is a passage from the Bible. A. B. C. D. DCAB
1 When I was a little boy I lived in a small fishing village.The visit to the village reminded me of the________of my childhood. A views B scenes C scenery D sights B
2 The driver shall be fined if he drives without the________. A permission B permit C allowance D admittance permit permission( ) C D B
earn ones passage by doing sth. by chance be set in work as an unpaid hand be doing …when… find oneself carried out by the wave seek help from sb.
Now Ill take you into a novel called The Million Pound Bank Note, which is set in Britain in the early 1900s. By chance you were on the same boat with Henry. All of you had to earn your own passage by working as an unpaid hand like Henry. One day,you were working when the ship was hit by a huge wave. Then you found yourself carried out by the wave and you could find nobody nearby from whom you could seek help. You were about to give up when a pirate ship spotted you.They would not save you unless you could answer their questions. Are you ready for that?
1.She spotted her friend among the passengers who got off the train. 2. I like the white dress with black spots. 3. The museum sits on the exact spot where the gold was first discovered. 4. The night sky is spotted with stars. A. B. C. D. DBAC
1 Lack of money________her not continuing her studies. A accounts for B cares for C explains to D approves of account for ( )…… care for explain to approve of A
2 (2009 )He was about to tell me the secret ________someone patted him on the shoulder. A as B until C while D when D
bring up by accident find fault with that is why… spot sb. doing sth. on the spot/scene stare at
This time Ill take you to a cave discovered by accident. If you step into the cave, youll feel as if nobody is on the spot/scene except you at the beginning. Later you will spot yourself being stared at by many green eyes in the dark. As a matter of fact, many savages ( )brought up by a witch( ) are in the cave, as well as a large amount of treasure. That is why so many people have come here despite itsdanger. They will ask you some questions and they will find fault with you. So be careful!
1 1.There were many policemen on the scene of the accident. 2. They climed higher so that they might see the scenes better. 3. The play starts with a scene in a New York street. 4. There were many touching scenes as rescue workers helped those trapped under the ruins caused by the earthquake in Lushan. A. B. ( ) C. D. DABC
1. (passage, an unpaid hand) The fact is that I earned my passage by working as an unpaid hand
the fact is that…… in rags bring out the best in sb. account for wander about take everything into account
Now Ill lead you to wander about on the Moon. If we take everything into account, it is necessary for us to wear space suits. Otherwise, the special condition can cause you to be dressed in rags. By the way, do you have a good knowledge of English vocabulary? The fact is that on the moon there is a maze, which is about words. Surely,lots of difficulties are waiting for us during the adventure. But dont be afraid. Difficulties can often bring out the best in ourselves. As long as we are united, we can have a nice trip, which accounts for the power of unity.
believe It __________(believe) that he has passed the last final examination. I hold the strong ___________ (believe) that I can achieve my dream in the future. patience (1)The kind nurse is always be ________ with her________ and she is seldom, if ever, out of __________ with them. is believed belief patient patients patience
1 (2008 ) Could I use your computer for a few moments please? ________. Im not using it myself. A Come on B It depends C Go ahead D Thats great C
He who laughs last laughs best
Textbook Ex.P20.3 We had a very different boss. He was such a stubborn businessman that he didnt permit anybody to disagree with him. He thought his marketing plan was perfect, but on the contrary, it was not and it failed. Obviously, it was his fault because he did not listen to other peoples advice. His attitude accounted for his loss.
Textbook Ex.P20.3 Yesterday when I was wandering on the pavement near a park, I met an old neighbour by accident. He was so happy to see me again and he talked a lot about my grandparents who brought me up. To be honest, I dont want him to go ahead with his story. It wasnt because I had no patience to listen to him, but because it was still very painful for me to think about my dear grandma who died five years ago.
1. (permit) 2. (be patient with) You should be patient with the others. We dont permit smoking in the office. We are not permitted to smoke in the office.
1. The secret of a good relationship is to accept other persons _____ ( ), and not to try to make them change. 2. You should _____ ( ) advice from your lawyer on this matter. 3. Spain is our favorite holiday s_____ and we all like traveling there. faults seek spot
4. He w________ around the mall for half an hour as if he had nothing else to do. 5. Her _________ ( ) made her the best nurse in the hospital. 6. We met the officials of the __________ ( ) at dinner that same evening. patience wandered embassy
2. Share you story with your neighbour 1.Create your own story by using the expressons as much as possible.
Homework Write your story by using the expressions as much as possible