Presentation on theme: "Welcome. The prizes of life are at the end of each journey, not near the beginning; and it is not given to me to know how many steps are necessary in."— Presentation transcript:
The prizes of life are at the end of each journey, not near the beginning; and it is not given to me to know how many steps are necessary in order to reach my goal. Failure I may still encounter at the thousandth step, yet success hides behind the next bend in the road. Never will I know how close it lies unless I turn the corner.
Yuan Longping is one of Chinas most famous scientists. He was born in 1930 in a poor farmers family. After he graduated from college, he did thousands of research to find ways to grow more rice. Finally, he grows what is called super hybrid rice. Yuan Longping is a simple but great man. Thats why I like him. Although he made a great achievement, he considers himself a farmer. He is quite satisfied with his
life and doesnt care about being famous. He feels it gives him less freedom to do his research. Whats more, he is also a determined man. Once he made a decision, nothing can stop him. If we have a dream, we should try our best to realize it. Just like Yuan Longping. And now, we have to work hard to prepare for the college entrance examinations.
1. 2. Vocabulary Many a student is in favor of this point of view. The film we saw last night was nothing but interesting. The winter vacation is round the corner. The majority of the interviewees prefer watching TV at home to going to the cinema.
I'm more than glad to learn that you are coming in September. After covering 10 miles, we all felt worn out. Some students think that they should set aside some of their pocket money for books. He deevotes all his spare time to reading.
1 The products are very good. The products are of high quality. 2 Jack is clever. He often thinks of new ideas. Jack is clever. He often comes up with new ideas. 3 Thank you very much for your help. We appreciate your help very much./ Your help is much appreciated. Rewrite these sentences.
rich help surprising sometimes look after as long as be made up of be interested in a few days ago be satisfied with at the same time try one's best to do wealthy do sb. a favor amazing occasionally attend to on condition that consist of be crazy about the other day express one's satisfaction with meanwhile spare no efforts to do
1. The bell is ringing now. ( ) People suggest that the conference be put off. ( ) There goes the bell. ( ) It is suggested that the conference be put off. ( ) Sentence structure
2. with 3. A terrible accident happened yesterday. Nine people were killed.( ) A terrible accident happeded yesterday, with nine people killed. ( ) She walked out of the room and many students followed her. ( ) Followed by many students, she…. ( )
4. v-ing When he arrives please give me an . ( ) If the weather permits, I ll come tomorrow. ( ) On his arriving/ arrival, please give…. ( ) Weather permitting, I ll come tomorrow. ( ) Now our school has three teachers. They teach 48 pupils. ( ) Now our School has three teachers, teaching 48 pupils. ( )
It disappointed everybody that he didn t turn up. ( ) I happened to have met him. ( ) 5. The fact that he didnt turn up disappointed everybody. ( ) It happened that I had met him. ( )
6. I won t believe what he says. ( ) The meal was very nice. We all enjoyed it very much. ( ) No matter what he says, I wont believe. ( ) The meal was so nice that we all…. ( )
7. I studied Chinese, maths, English, physics, chemistry and computer at school. ( ) The subjects I studied at school included Chinese, maths, English…. ( )
8. What Yang Liwei has done encourages us a lot. ( ) It is what Yang Liwei has done that encourages…. ( ) Weak as I am, I ll make the effort. ( ) Though I m weak, I will make the effort. ( ) How glad we were to see the crops and...! ( ) We were glad to see the crops and vegetables growing very well. ( )
The expressions in our composition Yuan Longping is a simple but great man. He was born into a poor farmer's family in1930. Born into a poor farmer's family in 1930, Yuan Longping is a simple but great man. Dr Yuan grows what is called super hybrid rice. The special strain of rice makes it possible to produce harvests twice as large as before. He succeeded in growing what is called super hybrid rice, making it possible for farmers to produce harvests twice as large as before.
Although he is one of China's most famous scientists and makes such a great contribution, he still considers himself a farmer. Famous scientist as he is, he regards himself as an ordinary farmer. I respect him very much not only for his success, but also for his attitude to life. Not only do his great achievements deserve my admiration, but also his attitude towards life.
He depends on his determination to make his dream come true. It is his determination that makes his dream come true. The hybrid rice rid the world of hunger. It is the hybrid rice that rid the world of hunger.
Sample Yuan Longping Born in Beijing, Yuan Longping is a simple but great man. Famous scientist as he is, he regards himself as an ordinary farmer. Since he graduated from college, he has been determined to find a way to increase rice harvest. Finally, he succeeded in growing what is called super hybrid rice, making it possible for farmers to produce harvests twice as large as before.
Not only do his great achievements deserve my admiration, but his attitude towards life. He cares little about being famous or spending money on himself. Furthermore, he is so unselfish that he is now circulating his knowledge in some less developed countries to help them. As Dr Yuan proves, the secret to success is having a dream and the determination to realize it. I certainly have a dream, and from now on I will spare no efforts to achieve it.
Practice makes perfect.
Li Yue has been awarded the title of Star Student of the Week for what she did for our class. On the hot afternoon of last Saturday, Li Yue went downtown and walked from one store to another, looking for the costumes we would wear in the singing contest. Deeply moved by her efforts, we tried our best and won the first prize in the contest. Li Yue is always warm-hearted and cares a lot about the class. Besides, she often devotes her spare time to helping others. She deserves the honor and we should learn from her.
Homework Try to collect more excellent expressions which can beautify your compositon. Do the exercises in Unit 2 Thanks for your attending!
Homework 1.Finish the short passage. 2.Try to collect more excellent expressions which can beautify your compositon. 3.Do the exercises in Unit 2 Thanks for your attending!
Could you imagine a simple farmer is one of Chinas most famous scientists? It sounds as it is impossible, but it is a fact. Yuan longping was born into a poor farmers family in Facing the lack of rice, he grows what is called super hybrid rice. I admire him for his being content with his simple life. Although he is simple, he is a great man with strong determination. His devotion to growing rice inspires me to work hard. I learn that once I make up my mind to do something, I should stick to it. Only when we determine to do something can we achieve some achievements.
Yuan longping, a simple but great man, is a well- known agriculturalist in China. He developed the hybrid rice in the 1970s, which was considered to help rid the world of hunger. He is a real hero in my heart. There is no doubt that he contributed a lot to our country. He is still modest and hardworking though he has lots of achievements. The hybrid rice wouldnt come into existence without his patience and confidence. His experiences teach us that we should never give up no matter how hard the problem is. Even if we succeed, we should keep on working. Remember the most important thing: Everyone can make a difference.