Presentation on theme: "September 2010. * Provide analysis, advice, and recommendations on the impacts that new and emerging technologies are likely to have on the management."— Presentation transcript:
* Provide analysis, advice, and recommendations on the impacts that new and emerging technologies are likely to have on the management and use of federal geospatial data and programs. Provide a forecast of likely technology changes and their impact on Federal programs.
* On-demand service: what you need when you need it. * Broad network access: access is anywhere, anytime. * Resource pooling: pool of users shares location- independent resources and costs in an environmentally sustainable way. * Flexible resource allocation: as demands fluctuate, cloud services can scale rapidly. * Measured service: usage is metered—often per user or per hour, pay only for what you use. Service levels are contractually defined.
* Software as a Service (SaaS) * End user apps delivered as service * Example: Saleforce.com for CRM * Platform as a Service (PaaS) * Application platform middleware for developers to deploy custom apps * Example: Windows Azure Platform * Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) * Hardware and technology for computing power, storage, operating systems available for customer apps * Example: Amazon EC2, Amazon S3
Allocated IT-capacities “Waste“ of capacities “Under-supply“ of capacities Fixed cost of IT-capacities Barrier for innovations TIME IT CAPACITY Load Forecast Actual Load
Allocated IT capacities Reduction of initial investments Reduction of “over-supply“ No “under-supply“ Possible reduction of IT-capacities in case of reduced load TIME IT CAPACITY Load Forecast Actual Load
* New technologies and architectures challenge status quo * Customers require: * New business models = pricing * SLAs = performance * Flexibility
* Data Ownership, Security and Privacy * Service Level Agreements, Liability and Recourse * Lack of Control over Impact on Business Process
10 Secure Cloud Federation INTERNAL IT ENTERPRISE
* Cloud computing business & practices are work in progress * No industry standard for cloud providers * Many believe Congress needs to take legislative action to update older security and privacy laws
* eSpatial * ESRI * Google * Microsoft Corporation * Salesforce.com * Terremark * VMWare