Presentation on theme: "Managing digital records Records Managers’ Forum 30 March 2009."— Presentation transcript:
Managing digital records Records Managers’ Forum 30 March 2009
Why create the guidelines? Needed to: address immediate and pressing IT challenges improve business protect businesses and Government protect rights and entitlements of clients avoid litigation protect digital heritage assist public offices with an ‘action plan.’
The 5 key strategies 1. Make digital recordkeeping achievable for your organisation 2. Keep digital records in recordkeeping systems 3. Use recordkeeping metadata for digital recordkeeping 4. Effectively manage the migration of your digital records 5. Target specific record formats that are causing you problems
1. Make digital recordkeeping achievable for your organisation The guidelines encourage you to be proactive e.g.: limit the number of file formats used in your organisation use open formats destroy digital records when appropriate.
2. Keep digital records in recordkeeping systems The guidelines explain: what a recordkeeping system is what is NOT a recordkeeping system how to purchase or reconfigure systems to become recordkeeping systems how to tailor the solution to your specific needs.
3. Use recordkeeping metadata for digital recordkeeping The guidelines discuss: the value of metadata how to create metadata schemas for your business systems key points when developing and implementing metadata schemas how to facilitate preservation with metadata.
4. Effectively manage the migration of your digital records The guidelines: highlight essential characteristics of records that must be preserved promote migration to preserve the long term stability of records discuss planning, issues with contractors, pre and post migration testing, making records recommend keeping source records for at least 6 months include a Checklist for migration.
5. Target specific formats that are causing you problems Currently the guidelines include a discussion of issues associated with managing: email ‘born’ digital images: still photographs CAD records web records. These can be added to over time.
Feedback on the guidelines under constant review feedback through our blog on the Future Proof website at: http://futureproof.records.nsw.gov.au/ http://futureproof.records.nsw.gov.au/ add to the discussion under ‘Latest Posts’