2. Instead of 1. have difficulty / trouble / a hard time + V-ing
1. have difficulty / trouble / a hard time + V-ing Example: 1.Cultures that isolate themselves from international business and major world languages have difficulty prospering.
2. The taxi driver couldn’t speak English. He had trouble communicating with his Amercian passenger. 3. Her husband died young, and the poor woman had a hard time bringing up her four children.
Exercise A: An aboriginal tribe in Australia now faces many problems. Rewrite the underlined part of the following sentences by using the pattern above. 1. Most of these aborigines lead an isolated life. It’s difficult for them to realize what’s going on in the modern world. They have difficulty/a hard time/trouble realizing what’s going on in the modern world.
2. Without any knowledge about modern technology, it’s hard for these people to compete with the outside world. These people have difficulty/a hard time/trouble competing with the outside world.
3. This aboriginal tribe has no written language of its own. That’s why it’s not easy for these people to pass on their culture and traditions to a younger generation. That’s why these people have difficulty/a hard time/trouble passing on their culture and traditions to a younger generation.
4. Instead of staying in their native land, many of the young people move to the city. But with little education and experience, these young people can’t find good jobs easily. These young people have difficulty/a hard time/trouble finding good jobs.
5. With so many young people leaving, it’s difficult for this aboriginal tribe to thrive. This aboriginal tribe has difficulty/a hard time/trouble thriving.
Exercise B: Complete the following dialogue between bonnie and her teacher, Mr. Goodman, with the given words. Use the pattern above. G: Why do you look so worried, Bonnie? B: I’m __________.(hard time/prepare/coming monthly exam) what’s worse, I __________ (trouble/get/sleep) for the past few days. having a hard time preparing for the coming monthly exam have had trouble getting to sleep
G: How come? B: I’m __________.(difficulty/do/math homework) Why am I so stupid? G: No, you’re not stupid. You just need to make a little more effort. having difficulty doing my math homework
B: But I even __________. (trouble/concentrate/math class) have trouble concentrating in math classes G: Then, how about talking with your math teacher? I’m sure she’ll be glad to help you. I hope that you don’t __________.(difficulty/talk/her) B: Well.... have difficulty talking to her
You’ve really done a good job! Give yourself some applause!!! Back
2. Instead of Example: Instead of struggling for words, people can quickly share ideas and work together.
Combine two sentences with “instead of.” 1.I didn’t make up with my boyfriend. Instead, I broke up with him. Exercise A: Instead of making up with my boyfriend, I broke up with him.
2. Ted didn’t give up. Instead, he struggled to his feet. Instead of giving up, Ted struggled to his feet.
3. Jennifer didn’t keep my secret for me. Instead, she told others. Instead of keeping my secret for me, Jennifer told others.
4. The driver didn’t stop to see what he had knocked down. Instead, he speeded up and escaped. Instead of stopping to see what he had knocked down, the driver speeded up and escaped.
5. I didn’t go to the movies with my family. Instead, I stayed home alone. Instead of going to the movies with my family, I stayed home alone.
Peggy, a high school girl who considers herself overweight, is telling her friends about her problem, and they in turn offer her some suggestions. Complete each sentence according to what they say. Exercise B:
I eat too much high-calorie food. I can’t resist junk food and carbonated drinks. That’s why I cannot lose my weight. I think a weight loss center is the only place that can help me.
Don’t go to a weight loss center. You should go on a diet by eating more vegetables and drinking only water and non-fat milk. Besides, stay away from junk food.
No, you don’t have to go on a diet. What you need is more exercise!
1.Instead of __________ (a weight loss center), I think you should __________ (diet). going to a weight loss center, go on a diet 2. If you __________ (vegetables) instead of __________, I’m sure it’ll help a lot. eat more vegetables, junk food/high-calorie food
3. __________(water/non-fat milk) instead of __________ and you’ll lose some weight too. Drink only water and non-fat milk, carbonated food 4. Instead of __________(junk food), I suggest you should __________(stay away). eating junk food, stay away from it
You’ve really done a good job! Give yourself some applause!!! Back 5. Instead of __________(diet), why not __________(exercise)? going on a diet, exercise more