Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Arrhythmias Principles of long and short term management of arrythmias.

Similar presentations

Presentation on theme: "Arrhythmias Principles of long and short term management of arrythmias."— Presentation transcript:

1 Arrhythmias Principles of long and short term management of arrythmias

2 Arrythmias Stability of the patient is primary Serious signs and symptoms (shock, hypotension, CHF,altered consciousness, severe SOB, MI, or ischeamic pain) require immediate treatment Stable patients can be further investigated

3 Tachyarrythmias Immediate synchronized DC Cardioconversion should be Performed on all unstable patients Stable patients are assessed According to underlying rhythm and history

4 Superventricular Arrhythmias Sinus Tachycardia- faster than 100 bpm Rarely primary- treat the underlying cause Dehydration, fever, hypoxia

5 Superventricular Arrhythmias Paroxysmal superventricular tachycardia arise from above the bifurcation of the His bundle. Approximately 90% of these arrhythmias occur as a result of a reentrant mechanism; the remaining 10% occur as a result of increased automaticity.

6 treatment DC conversion Physical maneuvers- valsalva Pharmacological In general, pharmacologic agents with AV nodal blocking properties such as adenosine, -blockers, calcium channel blockers, and digoxin are used for the acute management and prevention of AV nodal dependent PSVT. Other antiarrhythmic agents, such as procainamide and amiodarone, which exert effects at various levels of the cardiac conduction system are used for the management and prevention of AV nodal independent PSVT.

7 Atrial Fibrillation In stable patients with a rapid ventricular response, the initial goal is rate control. This can usually be achieved with -blockers, calcium channel blockers, or digoxin Anticoagulants

8 Atrial flutter Similar to AF Patient are at less risk from coagulation

9 Multifocal Atrial Tachycardia Rate control Preexcitation Arrythmias DC conversion

10 Ventricular Arrhythmias Ventricular tachycardia is the most common cause of wide QRS complex tachycardia. The term VT is used when six or more consecutive ventricular beats occur. The ventricular rate is usually 150–220 beats/min, although rates slower than 120 beats/min may occur.

11 treatment Unstable- DC Cardioconversion Stable Traditionally, patients with stable VT are administered an antiarrhythmic agent for chemical cardioversion. A number of medications are available. The choice for a particular patient is often based on physician preference and experience, findings of preserved or impaired cardiac function, and the underlying cause of the VT.

12 Polymorphic Ventricular tachycardia Shock em

13 Ventricular Fibrillation Anti-arrhythmics

14 BRADYARRHYTHMIAS, CONDUCTION DISTURBANCES, & ESCAPE RHYTHMS Unstable patients need transcutaneous pacemaking Stable patients can be managed pharmcologically

15 Sinus Bradycardia Assymptomatic Sinus Bradycardia requires no treatment

16 A bunch of other slow rhythms Heart block Speed up the heart… atropine dopamine aminophylline

Download ppt "Arrhythmias Principles of long and short term management of arrythmias."

Similar presentations

Ads by Google