Presentation on theme: "Role of Independent Regulatory Body for Safe Operation of NPPs Zia Hussain Shah Director, Centre for Nuclear Safety Pakistan Nuclear Regulatory Authority."— Presentation transcript:
Role of Independent Regulatory Body for Safe Operation of NPPs Zia Hussain Shah Director, Centre for Nuclear Safety Pakistan Nuclear Regulatory Authority (PNRA)
Safety Principle The government shall establish a legislative and statutory framework for the regulations of nuclear installations. There shall be clear separation of responsibilities of regulatory body and the operating organization.
3 International requirement for Independent Regulatory Body Convention on Nuclear Safety – 1994 Article 7 (Regarding national legislation) Article 8 (Establish a Regulatory body) IAEA Requirements An independent regulatory body shall be established Responsibilities shall be assigned to the R.B for regulatory activities (licensing, review..) Adequate authority/power, staffing and financial resources shall be provided 3
Regulatory Independence Political Legislative Financial CompetenceInformation to the public International Aspects of Regulatory Independence
1. Political Government shall ensure clear and effective separation of responsibilities and duties between the regulatory body and organizations promoting nuclear energy Regulatory body should, however, be accountable in respect of fulfilling its mission to protect workers, the public and the environment from undue radiation hazards. 5 Aspects of Regulatory Independence
2. Legislative ● Legislative framework should define the functions and independence of the regulatory body in respect of safety ● Regulatory body shall have the authority to adopt or to develop regulations relating to safety Regulatory body shall also have the authority to take decisions, including decisions on enforcement actions. 6 Aspects of Regulatory Independence
3. Financial ● The regulatory body shall be provided with adequate authority and power, and it shall be ensured that it has adequate staffing and financial resources to discharge its assigned responsibilities ● the budget of the regulatory body should not be subject to review and approval by government agencies responsible for exploiting or promoting the development of nuclear technologies 7 Aspects of Regulatory Independence
4. Competence ● What is Need of Competence in a RB ? ● Regulatory body should have independent technical expertise in the areas relevant to its responsibilities for safety. ● Management of the regulatory body should therefore have the responsibility and authority to recruit staff with the skills and technical expertise ● RB should have the authority to set up and fund independent advisory bodies to provide expert opinion and advice and to award contracts for research and development projects 8 Aspects of Regulatory Independence
5. Public Information " Regulatory body shall have the authority to communicate independently its regulatory requirements, decisions and opinions and their basis to the public."
Aspects of Regulatory Independence 6. International "The regulatory body shall have the authority to liaise with regulatory bodies of other countries and with international organizations to promote cooperation and exchange of regulatory information."
EVOLUTION OF PNRA AS AN INDEPENDENT REGULATORY BODY Creation of Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission (PAEC) Creation of Directorate of Nuclear Safety and Radiation Protection (DNSRP) Promulgation of Pakistan Nuclear Safety & Radiation Protection Regulations PNRB was created as a quasi- independent Regulatory Body Creation of PNRA as an independent regulatory body 1965 1984 1990 1994 2001 JOURNEY TOWARDS AN INDEPENDENT REGULATORY BODY
PNRA Ordinance In 2001 the GoP Established the Pakistan Nuclear Regulatory Authority (PNRA) as an independent regulatory authority to regulate the nuclear safety and radiation protection in the country through PNRA Ordinance 2001
7 August 2015 13 To protect the radiation workers, general public and the environment from the harmful effects of ionising radiation Radiation Hazard ~ Mission of PNRA
Develop Regulations, Guidelines, Standards and Licensing Procedures Conduct Safety Review & Assessment of the Nuclear Installations 7 August 2015 14 Functions of PNRA
● Perform Regulatory Inspections to ensure compliance with the regulatory requirements ● Initiate enforcement action in case of non compliance of regulatory requirements Construction Licence Operating Licence Functions of PNRA
PNRA Regulations Administrative Regulations defining processes and other administrative matters such as − Licensing regulations (PAK/907, 908, 909) − Enforcement regulations (PAK/950) − Fee regulations (PAK/900) − PNRA Transaction of Business (PAK/901) Technical Regulations specific to facilities − NPPs siting, design, operation, etc. (PAK/910, 911, 912, 913) Generic regulations (applicable to all facilities) − Radiation protection, waste management, emergency preparedness, etc. (PAK/904, 914, 915) All PNRA Regulations are available at PNRA website www.pnra.org www.pnra.org