We think you have liked this presentation. If you wish to download it, please recommend it to your friends in any social system. Share buttons are a little bit lower. Thank you!
Presentation is loading. Please wait.
Modified over 4 years ago
© Crown copyright Met Office Met Office seasonal forecasting for winter 2010-11 Jeff Knight (with thanks to many colleagues)
© Crown copyright Met Office The main event: December
© Crown copyright Met Office December 2010 Month Mean Temp (degC) Feb-47 -2.0 Jan-63-1.8 Feb-86-1.2 Jan-40 -1.1 Feb-63-1.1 Dec-10 Courtesy of Mike Kendon (NCIC) Snow at Land’s End
© Crown copyright Met Office December 2010: Central England Temperature series 3 voyages of Captain Cook 1768 - 1779 The coldest December since 1890 The second coldest December in a series from 1659 Queen Victoria’s coronation 1838 World War 1 1914-1918 December 2010 Public execution of Charles 1 st 1649 (only 10 years before series starts) Courtesy of Mike Kendon (NCIC)
© Crown copyright Met Office UK Temperatures: recent winters
© Crown copyright Met Office Christmas Eve 2010 Satellite Receiving Station, Dundee University 1150 GMT 7 January 2010 Photo: NASA/GSFC, MODIS Rapid Response. 2009-10 and 2010-11
© Crown copyright Met Office Met Office Winter Forecast 2010-11
© Crown copyright Met Office DJF Met Office Seasonal Forecast for UK Government Outlook for December 2010 – February 2011 For the period December 2010-February 2011, there is a 25% chance of mild conditions, a 30% chance of near-average and a 45% chance of cold conditions over northern Europe. For precipitation, there is a 25% chance of wet conditions, a 35% chance of near-average and a 40% chance of dry conditions over northern Europe.
© Crown copyright Met Office GloSea4 ‘November’ ensemble GloSea4 L85DJF
© Crown copyright Met Office Temperature terciles from Nov L85 GloSea (1996-2009 climate)
© Crown copyright Met Office Precipitation terciles from Nov (1996-2009 climatology) L85 GloSea (1996-2009 Climate)
© Crown copyright Met Office Nino3.4 plumes: GloSea4-EC-EUROSIP Charts courtesy of ECMWF
© Crown copyright Met Office Cluster analysis Fereday et al. (2008), J. Climate 6 two month seasons, 10 clusters per season North Atlantic / Europe region Clusters from observed 1850-2003 daily mean MSLP dataset For 2004 onwards use NCEP reanalysis Remove seasonal mean from NCEP MSLP Assign each field to closest cluster
© Crown copyright Met Office ND 2010 cluster frequencies Highest number of days for ~100 and ~50 years respectively
© Crown copyright Met Office ND 2010 Clusters
© Crown copyright Met Office Oct-Nov North Atlantic SST October 201114-21 Nov 2011
© Crown copyright Met Office North Atlantic Sub-Surface temperature May October Rodwell and Folland (2002), Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc.
© Crown copyright Met Office Quasi-Biennial Oscillation W phase of QBO → stronger polar vortex, less chance of a stratospheric warming event So perhaps switch to zonal at end of winter? This is also the signal from La Niña
© Crown copyright Met Office ‘Canonical’ JF La Niña clusters
© Crown copyright Met Office Later Forecasts
© Crown copyright Met Office JFM, FMA from preceding month FMA JFM D-J-F
© Crown copyright Met Office Stratosphere?
© Crown copyright Met Office JF 2011 cluster frequencies
© Crown copyright Met Office JF 2011 Clusters
© Crown copyright Met Office Worldwide
© Crown copyright Met Office La Niña Teleconnections During La Niña the rainfall that normally falls out over the Pacific shifts westDuring La Niña the rainfall that normally falls out over the Pacific shifts west
© Crown copyright Met Office Global precipitation
© Crown copyright Met Office Queensland
© Crown copyright Met Office Conclusions GloSea4 did a reasonable job in predicting the likelihood of a cold winter In later forecasts, however, it wanted to retain the cold for too long Consistency with EuroSIP and other models Other factors such as La Niña, Atlantic SSTs and the QBO were considered alongside models Potential additional influences were the continuing low solar activity (Ineson et al., 2011), low sea-ice,...
© Crown copyright Met Office Advertisement For various long-range forecasts including decadal global temperature forecasts and seasonal tropical storm forecasts: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/science/specialist/long-range For the seasonal probability maps, ENSO forecast and skill scores: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/science/specialist/seasonal
© Crown copyright Met Office Questions and answers
© Crown copyright Met Office Title
Seasonal forecasts Laura Ferranti and the Seasonal Forecast Section User meeting June 2005.
Ocean’s Role in the Stratosphere-Troposphere Interaction Yulia A. Zyulyaeva Moscow State University P.P.Shirshov Institute of Oceanology, RAS, Moscow 1/17.
© Crown copyright Met Office The Met Office high resolution seasonal prediction system Anca Brookshaw – Monthly to Decadal Variability and Prediction,
Seasonal to decadal prediction of the Arctic Oscillation D. Smith, A. Scaife, A. Arribas, E. Blockley, A. Brookshaw, R.T. Clark, N. Dunstone, R. Eade,
Consolidated Seasonal Rainfall Guidance for Africa, November 2013 Initial Conditions Issued 7 November 2013 Forecast maps Forecast Background – ENSO update.
© Crown copyright Met Office Decadal Climate Prediction Doug Smith, Nick Dunstone, Rosie Eade, Leon Hermanson, Adam Scaife.
© Crown copyright Met Office Improving seasonal forecasting: role of teleconnections Madrid. Febrero Alberto Arribas.
Climate Forecasting Unit Climate of the Month January-February 2012 Melanie Davis.
Climate recap and outlook Philip Mote, PhD University of Washington Center for Science in the Earth System - Climate Impacts Group Boise, ID October 17,
2009 global climate: A tale of five timeseries Global mean temperature El Ni ñ o / Southern Oscillation (ENSO) Pacific Decadal Oscillation Annular modes.
Hazardous Weather Ahead and Outlook for Winter Dave Reynolds -MTR Dan Keeton - STO Meteorologists in Charge weather.gov/SanFrancisco or /Sacramento.
1 Climate recap and outlook Nate Mantua, PhD University of Washington Center for Science in the Earth System - Climate Impacts Group Kelso, WA October.
Review of Northern Winter 2010/11
Excerpts of the AAAS Fiscal Year 2009 Appropriations Summary ( September 2008 summary: Congress has made little progress on the federal.
Overview Northern hemisphere extra-tropics El Niño Seasonal Climate – Winter Mike Blackburn Seasonal Climate Discussion, 14 April 2010.
UK Met Office seasonal forecast “warm winter”, based on >33% probability of warm tercile. Statistical method (May SST) forecast NAO+ Dynamical method (GloSea4)
Climate Review for WY 2004 and Outlook for WY 2005 Philip Mote Climate Impacts Group University of Washington Annual Fall Forecast Meeting October 26,
Tahiti, Darwin, and pressure oscillations. SOI = Tahiti - Darwin (normalized)
Climate recap and outlook Nate Mantua, PhD University of Washington Climate Impacts Group Nate Mantua, PhD University of Washington Climate Impacts Group.
© Crown copyright Met Office Andrew Colman presentation to EuroBrisa Workshop July Met Office combined statistical and dynamical forecasts for.
© 2020 SlidePlayer.com Inc. All rights reserved.