Geographic Information Systems Issues and Prospects - The Trends of GIS Development.
Published byModified over 4 years ago
Presentation on theme: "Geographic Information Systems Issues and Prospects - The Trends of GIS Development."— Presentation transcript:
Geographic Information Systems Issues and Prospects - The Trends of GIS Development
1. The Trends Enterprise computing and GIS Spatial data warehouse Interoperability and open GIS Impact of internet on GIS
2. Enterprise Computing and GIS GIS is moving closer to the core of corporate information technology due to - interoperable GIS - multimedia technology Users turned their attention to what they can use GIS for
2. Enterprise Computing and GIS New generation of DBMS either the mainstream DBMS can handle spatial data or GIS DBMS fit into the mainstream tech Advanced data modeling tech absorbs GIS concepts and requirements into conventional systems GIS software vendors follow the computer industry trend to develop off-the-shelf products
2. Enterprise Computing and GIS Integration of GIS and CAD helped support transportation, utility, telecommunication, and engineering apps Mobile computing (wireless, internet, field survey) removed the barrier between office and field users GIS is popularized by desktop and laptop apps Availability of public-domain data is unique in the US
3. Spatial Data Warehouse A “super database” Stores a clean copy of all the databases in a central repository It has become an integral component of GIS implementation
4. Interoperability and Open GIS Different organizations tend to develop or use different hardware, software, and data models GIS interoperation means to share data and functions freely across the boundaries of different GIS systems Components and middleware
4. Interoperability and Open GIS Standard data storage specifications - OLE/COM Object Linking and Embedding /Component Object Model - CORBA Common Object Request Broker Architecture
4. Interoperability and Open GIS Open GIS Consortium Inc. (OGC) A membership organization consisting of gov, edu,com, and org It produced a series of open GIS specifications that enable the sharing of data and applications between individual GIS and between GIS and other apps such as statistics, modeling, etc.
5. Impact of Internet on GIS Internet has had and will continue to have profound impact on the development of GIS The use of GIS on the Internet requires a GIS server to serve as an interface between http and GIS database
5. Impact of Internet on GIS GIS applications on the Internet - Display static and animated maps - Spatial data catalog browse and retrieval - Geographic search engine - Real-time map browse ad generation - Real-time multi-media