Chapter 7: Recruiting, Motivating and Keeping Quality Employees 1.Human Resource Management 2.Developing Employees 3.Motivating Employees 4.What Makes a Great Place to Work 5.Performance Appraisal 6.Labor Unions (cases and problems)
1. Human Resource Management Define Human Resource Management and explain how managers develop and implement a human resource plan What is job analysis and how is it used to prepare job descriptions and job specifications? What is the process used to recruit qualified applicants? What role does the EEOC play in this process? Discuss the search and recruitment process What steps are involved in the selection process? What is the purpose and value of a contingent workforce?
2. Developing Employees What are the purposes of an employee orientation? Explain the value of both off-the-job and on-the-job training. Why is it important to assist employees in their professional development? What are some of the advantages in maintaining a diverse workplace?
3. Motivating Employees Discuss and compare the following motivational theories: Hierarchy-of-Needs Theory, Two-Factor Theory, Expectancy Theory and Equity Theory Which one makes the most sense to you? Why?
4. What Makes a Great Place to Work Why do you think things like challenge, respect, fair treatment and appreciation out-weigh monetary compensation as motivational factors in job satisfaction? Discuss how job redesign factors like job rotation, job enlargement and job enrichment help with employee motivation Define workplace factors available to help employees balance work/life quality. Include both family friendly and single worker enhancements. Discuss competitive and alternative compensation packages including alternative wage programs, incentive and bonus programs, and benefit structures
5. Performance Appraisal What are the basic three steps in an appraisal system? How do they work? Explain the 360 degree and upward feedback appraisal process Discuss some of the factors in retaining valuable employees and why some employees quit What is the Employee-at-Will doctrine?
6. Labor Unions Why do workers unionize and how are unions structured? Identify and explain the components collective bargaining and explain the negotiation processes What tactics can a union use if negotiations breakdown? What counter tactics can management take to counteract the union tactics? Why has union membership declined? What value do unions have in the 21 century workplace?
Cases and Problems The class will divide into four groups: Group 1 and group 2 will address the Learning on the Web problem in chapter 7 Group 3 and group 4 will address the Career Opportunities problem in chapter 7 Be prepared to discuss your answers in your groups in the next class session