2Cut along dashed lines to create 5 flaps FoldableFront CoverFold Paper in HalfHamburger StyleOcean Life ZonesCut along dashed lines to create 5 flaps
3Foldable Ocean Life Zones Intertidal Zone Neritic Zone Turn your foldable sideways and label the sectionsOcean Life ZonesBenthic ZoneBathyal ZoneAbyssal Zone
4On the back side of flaps: List 3 types of organisms that live in that particular zone and draw a picture to represent the zone (You may draw one of your organisms)
5Foldable Instructions EVERYTHING IS COLORFUL. 1. Color Front Page Foldable Instructions EVERYTHING IS COLORFUL! 1. Color Front Page. Please write title in color & color background. 2. Color Info pages: You may write in pencil, but your background should be colored and match the background color of Title Tab. 3. Name 3 organisms for each zone and draw a picture on the back side of the tab (flap). The entire foldable must be labeled and colored. You will be graded on completion and neatness!
61. Intertidal Zone Between high and low tide lines Changes a lot between water and dry land = Difficult for animals and plants to survive because they must be able to live outside of waterTo avoid being washed out to sea, organisms (plants and animals) must attach themselves to the groundOn the back side of the title flap: name 3 organisms that live in this zone and draw a picture.
72. Neritic Zone Plenty of sunlight Low water pressure Constant temperatureLOTS of organisms live here!On the back side of the title flap: name 3 organisms that live in this zone and draw a picture.
83. Benthic ZoneThe benthic zone is the bottom of the water. Benthos refers to animals living in this zone (both on and near the sea floor).The benthic zone of the ocean is varied. There are mountains, trenches, volcanoes, flat muddy areas, sandy areas and rocky areas. There is a wide variety of life that makes its home on the ocean floor. Some organisms live in the mud, some crawl or swim along the bottom and some anchor themselves to the ocean floor.On the back side of the title flap: name 3 organisms that live in this zone and draw a picture.
94. Bathyal Zone 4. Bathyal Zone Creatures such as this brittlestar, squid, and hatchetfish inhabit the bathyal zone, or mid-depths, between 200–2,000 m (660–6,600 ft).Some sunlight penetrates the upper bathyal zone down to about 1,000 m (3,300 ft). Here the water temperature may be about 5°C (41°F). No light reaches the dark zone beyond, where temperatures fall to -2°C (28°F).On the back side of the title flap: name 3 organisms that live in this zone and draw a picture.
105. Abyssal Zone 5. Abyssal Zone (midnight zone) NO sunlight reaches this zoneSome animals produce their own lightLittle food is availableVery high water pressureWater temperature is very low/coldOn the back side of the title flap: name 3 organisms that live in this zone and draw a picture.
11Organisms of Each Ocean Life Zone Intertidal = hermit crab, sea star, mussels, sea urchin, barnaclesNeritic = Loggerhead sea turtle, mackerel, cod, kelp, Bottlenose dolphinBenthic = sea urchins, sea cucumbers, crustaceans (shrimp, crab), squid, octopusBathyal = jellies, and crustaceans. Sperm whales can dive down into this zone when hunting giant squid.Abyssal = Deep Sea Anglerfish, Giant Squid, Tripod Fish, Black Swallower