Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

INDIA /BRAZIL / SOUTH AFRICA TRI-LATERAL COLLABORATIVE PROGRAM ON SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY II Forum IBSA on Malaria, Teresina – PI, BR, March, 7 th - 8 th,

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "INDIA /BRAZIL / SOUTH AFRICA TRI-LATERAL COLLABORATIVE PROGRAM ON SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY II Forum IBSA on Malaria, Teresina – PI, BR, March, 7 th - 8 th,"— Presentation transcript:

1 INDIA /BRAZIL / SOUTH AFRICA TRI-LATERAL COLLABORATIVE PROGRAM ON SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY II Forum IBSA on Malaria, Teresina – PI, BR, March, 7 th - 8 th, 2006 Hernando A del Portillo, PhD Departamento de Parasitologia Instituto de Ciências Biomédicas Universidade de São Paulo

2 Diagnosis, Cell and Molecular Biology

3 DIAGNOSIS

4

5 Giemsa-staining Malaria Diagnosis Brazil

6 External Evaluation of Giemsa-staining diagnosis in reference laboratories from the State of Pará Dra. Marinete Póvoa State of Pará more than cases/ participating laboratories Five different reference slides: P. falciparum, P. vivax, mixed infection, P. vivax + T. cruzi, negative control 73% of the labs diagnosed correctly all slides, remaining 27% miss-diagnosed 1 slide. None of the labs identified T. cruzi. 5 labs have adequate training; 4 labs require re- training and 2 labs require capacitance.

7 Multi-Center Assesstment of Immuno-chromatographic Methods Coordinated: Prof. Cor Jésus Fernandes Fontes

8

9 PCR

10

11 NESTED-PCR

12 Evaluation of negativation and detection of three human malaria parasite species:Marinete Póvoa Blood bank surveysRicardo Machado MF Ferreira-Da-Cruz Mixed InfectionsGraça Alecrim AsymptomaticsLH Pereira da Silva

13 Nested-PCR and Malaria Diagnosis at FMT/AM Nested-PCR detected 14.5% of mixed infections as opossed to 1,8% detected by Giemsa staining

14 Asymptomatic patients

15

16 ELISA Determination of the cutoff value for IgG-ELISA-P. vivax MSP1-19, using the Receiver Operating Characteristic (ROC) Curve. Sandra do Lago Moraes-Avila & Antonio Walter Ferreira

17

18 Nogueira P, Alves F et al

19 Giemsa-staining Malaria Diagnosis Brazil

20 MOLECULAR AND CELL BIOLOGY

21

22 Polymorphims of Molecular Markers - Parasites P. vivax Duffy Binding Protein (de Brito, Moreira, Carvalho) P. falciparum reticulocyte binding-like homologues (PfRh1-4) (Mariano Zalis) P126 protein (Ferreira-da-Cruz, Banic, Carvalho, Ribeiro) Glycophorin B (GBP), HFE (Ricardo Machado) MSP1, MSP2 (Marcelo Urbano)

23 Baum et al PLoS Path 2005

24 Zalis, M (unpublished)

25

26 Microssatelites Plasmodium vivax Cor Jesús Fernandes Fontes, Alvaro Couto, Luzia H Carvalho Cristiana FA Brito 2006

27 Polymorphisms - Human Molecular Markers and Associations with Malaria Infection CR-1, MBL, TLR, NOS2, TNF-a, IFN-b, IL-4, IL-10 CD36, ICAM-1, Cytochrome P450, GST (Sandra do Lago Moraes)

28

29 CSP MSP1 19

30 Mosquitoes and cDNA libraries W. P. TadeicDNA library of A. darlingi

31

32

33


Download ppt "INDIA /BRAZIL / SOUTH AFRICA TRI-LATERAL COLLABORATIVE PROGRAM ON SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY II Forum IBSA on Malaria, Teresina – PI, BR, March, 7 th - 8 th,"

Similar presentations


Ads by Google