Presentation on theme: " The new nation was immediately invaded by armies from neighboring Arab states. Five Arab nations (Egypt, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, and Iraq) attacked."— Presentation transcript:
The new nation was immediately invaded by armies from neighboring Arab states. Five Arab nations (Egypt, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, and Iraq) attacked Israel on May 15, 1948 Israel won the 1948 Arab-Israeli War and expanded its boundaries from the UN partition plan.
Since the establishment of Israel, the country has had an ongoing conflict with the Palestinians. Hundreds of thousands of Palestinians have been displaced and are living in poor conditions.
The Palestine Liberation Organization is an organization which represents the Palestinian people. Its most famous leader was Yasser Arafat. This organization was founded in 1964.
In 1974, the PLO was recognized by the United Nations as the representative of the Palestinian people. The PLO has also fought militarily against Israeli occupation of its land It has been involved in numerous terrorist acts against Israeli citizens.
1967 War: The Six Day War Fearing attack by Egypt, Syria, Iraq and Jordan, Israel launched a preemptive strike Israel captured the West Bank, Gaza Strip, Sinai Peninsula and the Golan Heights.
Iraq, Egypt, Syria, and Jordan attacked Israel. Israelis were celebrating Yom Kippur and had not anticipated an attack. After several weeks, a cease fire was reached.
The first peace treaty between Israel and an Arab state Israel agreed to return the Sinai Peninsula to Egypt After the treaty, Egyptian President Anwar Sadat was shot i
In 1993, the PLO and Israel signed a peace agreement to resolve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. The agreement included the following: Withdrawal of Israeli forces from the Gaza Strip and the West Bank.
an Arabic word which literally means "shaking off,“ In English: Resistance Uprising rebellion
The Israeli government recognized the PLO as the representative of the Palestinians The PLO recognized the right of the state of Israel to exist The PLO also renounced terrorism, violence and its desire for the destruction of Israel.
In 1987, Palestinians became frustrated with their living conditions and lack of progress. Intifada was a protest of Israel's brutal killings, torture, and unfair treatment.
Often Palestinians fought the Israelis with low tech weapons like rocks, but over time, they gained access to guns and other explosives. By 1993- 1,162 Palestinians and 160 Israelis had died.
Israel made several offers for peace Yasser Arafat rejected. Palestinians refused to sign any agreement
The second Intifada has been far bloodier than the first. Death tolls are at 4,000. Israel believes that Yasser Arafat was not a true partner for peace. Evidences suggest that he has been involved in terrorist activity. Palestinians have grown frustrated by brutal Jewish occupation.
1. Jews believe that Israel is their promised land A. True B. False 2. Israel is in the middle of Africa A. True B. False 3. Most Palestinians speak A. Hebrew B. Arabic
4. Israel is surrounded by A. 5 Arab countries B. 24 Arab countries 5. Israel became independent state in A. 1948 B. 1944 6. Immediately after becoming an independent state, Israel was attacked by A. Four African countries B. Five Arab countries
7. After the Holocaust, Jews were ignored by the world community A. True B. False 8. Yasser Arafat was the leader of A. OPEC B. PLO 9. Since 1948, Jews and Arabs are living peacefully in the Middle East. A. False B. True
10. United States has made serious efforts to bring peace between Israel and Palestine A. False B. True 11. Do you believe that Arabs and Jews could live peacefully if Israel was not created? Explain 12. Were US peace making efforts necessary? Why?
13. Yasser Arafat was the leader of A. United Nations B. Palestinian Liberation Organization 14. Oslo Accord was to create peace between Israel and Palestine A. True B. False
15. Camp David Accord was to punish both Palestinians and Israelis A. True B. False 16. Intifada in Arabic means A. Shaking off B. friendship