2. The Pre-Republic Period A. China was carved into “spheres of influence by countries in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s. 1. Britain - Chang River Valley (Yangtze) 2. France – southern China 3. Russia – Mongolia and Manchuria 4. Japan – Korea and Taiwan 5. Germany – Qindao
3. The Boxer Rebellion A. What was the Boxer Rebellion of 1899? B. Why did nationalism spread among the Chinese people? C. Who was Sun Yixian? D. When did the people topple the Qing Dynasty? Was the new government successful?
6. The Guomindang (Nationalists) vs. The Communist Party A. The Guomindang Party established a new government in 1925 under Jiang Kaishek. B. The forces of Mao Zedong (Communist) fought the Nationalists for control of China until 1949, with the exception of WWII. C. Mao had appeal with the people, Jiang had appeal with the business community D. Taiwan – refuge for the Nationalists
10. Reform in China - The Period of Chairman Mao (1949-1976) A. What was the early economic policy? B. How was China made into a totalitarian state? C. Explain the Great Leap Forward. D. Explain The Cultural Revolution of 1966 and give 3 examples.
11. The Legacy of Chairman Mao A. Economic policies – Economic policies were a failure. B. Population policy – Limiting population growth was a success and a failure. C. Cultural policies – The Cultural Revolution hurt China.
12. Leaders After Mao A. Deng Xiaoping – The Four Modernizations 1. Agriculture - 2. Industry - 3. Science - 4. Defense -
13. Leaders After Mao (cont.) B. The Tiananmen Square Massacre (1989) 1. demands for political freedom 2. the occupation of Tiananmen Square 3. the ‘Goddess of Liberty” 4. the confrontation 5. orders to march
14. The Goddess of Liberty in Tiananmen Square - Dissent
16. Present Day China - Jiang Zhemin A. China is capitalistic in all but a few industries. B. China is producing goods very inexpensively, that are sold around the world C. China’s standard of living is rising quickly D. China is producing more pollution than many other countries. E. China is a totalitarian state politically F. China is militarily very strong
18. Important Terms and People A. spheres of influence B. Boxer Rebellion C. Qing Dynasty D. Dr. Sun Yixian E. Jiang Kaishek F. Mao Zedong G. The Long March H. 5 year plan I. The Great Leap Forward J. commune K. The Red Guard L. The Little Red Book M. Cultural Revolution N. Deng Xioping O. capitalism P. communism