Presentation on theme: "THE FRENCH AND INDIAN WAR. War fought in the colonies between the French and the English and their allies. English based their claims on Cabot and French."— Presentation transcript:
THE FRENCH AND INDIAN WAR
War fought in the colonies between the French and the English and their allies. English based their claims on Cabot and French based their claims on LaSalle and Champlain.
The English wanted the Ohio Valley because of fertile farmland or agriculture. They wanted permanent settlements. French wanted fur trade and did NOT want permanent settlements. Borders of Ohio River Valley Ohio River Valley lies between the Ohio River and Canada and between the Mississippi River and the Appalachian Mountains
Borders of Ohio River Valley Ohio River Valley lies between the Ohio River and Canada and between the Mississippi River and the Appalachian Mountains
1. What area did both sides want to control? A. Mississippi River Valley B. Ohio River Valley C. upstate New York D. Canada
2. The Ohio Valley is between the ____________________ and ____________________. A. Ohio River and Gulf of Mexico B. Mississippi River and Colorado River C. Appalachian Mountains and Rocky Mountains D. Ohio River and Canada and Mississippi River and Appalachian Mountains
3. Why did the British want the land? A. furs B. gold C. agriculture D. shipping
4. Why did the French want to control the land? A. furs B. gold C. agriculture D. shipping
The war started in 1754 when the French and Huron Indians attacked Fort Necessity.
5. What fort was attacked to begin the French and Indian War? A. Fort Duquesne B. Fort Anson C. Fort William Henry D. Fort Necessity
FRENCH ADVANTAGES : 1.Single governmental control in the colonies 2. guerilla warfare 3. network of forts from Quebec down the Mississippi River 4. Huron & Algonquin Indians
BRITISH ADVANTAGES : 1.Larger population; closer together 2. controlled Atlantic Ocean- blockade coast 3. natural resources 4. Iroquois Indians
6. The French used ______ warfare tactics learned from the Indians. A. guerilla B. ambush C. hit and run D. march in place
7. The _____ Indians were allied with the French. A. Algonquins B. Iroquois C. Mohawks D. Huron
8. The _____ Indians were allied with the British. A. Algonquins B. Iroquois C. Mohawks D. Huron
9. The British had a _______ population in the colonies than the French. A. smaller B. larger
10. The French had more _______ than the British. A. colonists B. farms C. government D. forts
11. The British had a strong ______ which allowed them to blockade the Atlantic coast. A. army B. navy C. shipping industry D. government
Albany Plan of Union Proposed by Benjamin Franklin Based on the Iroquois Confederation wanted colonists to join together for defensive purposes colonists rejected plan
This cartoon was used by Franklin to illustrate that the colonies were not united. Franklin thought that colonies would die if not united
12. What plan did Franklin propose for colonial unity? A. Albany Plan of Union B. Declaration of Independence C. U.S. Constitution D. Magna Carta
George Washington was sent to warn French to get out of the Ohio Valley. He would build Fort Necessity.
13. George Washington fought for the _______ in the French and Indian War. A. French B. British
Washington fought with General Edward Braddock. In the attempt to capture Fort Duquesne, Braddock would be mortally wounded.
Washington learned invaluable lessons about guerilla warfare and would use this against the British when the colonies fought for freedom.
William Pitt British Prime Minister towards end of war thought that England should pay all expenses of war put England into debt
Throughout the war the British had a secret weapon. The Indians were convinced that the bagpipes, played by the Scottish regiments, were actually demons out to carry away their souls
14. Who is the British leader who thought England should pay for the war? A. Benjamin Franklin B. George Washington C. William Pitt D. Pontiac
Battle of Quebec 2 nd to last battle of war, English won. French leader-Marquis de Montcalm and English leader- Wolfe both mortally wounded Last battle - Montreal
Taking of Quebec by English forces during the French and Indian War The French and Indian war went badly for the British colonies until Captain James Wolfe took Quebec in The British finally won three years later.
15. What was the last battle of the French and Indian War? A. Necessity B. Duquesne C. Quebec D. New York City
16. Who won the French and Indian War? A. British B. French
TREATY OF PARIS, 1763 Officially ended the war Signed in Paris England secured more territory in this treaty than any other nation has ever obtained
TERMS: 1.Britain received all of Canada, Florida, French possessions EAST of Mississippi River 2.Spain received Louisiana west of the Mississippi R. and New Orleans 3. France kept Haiti in Caribbean
17. What did England receive in the Treaty of Paris, 1763? A. Canada and all land east of Mississippi River B. all land west of the Mississippi River C. Louisiana Territory
18. What did Spain receive in the Treaty of Paris, 1763? A. Canada and all land east of Mississippi River B. all land west of the Mississippi River
IMPORTANCE OF FRENCH AND INDIAN WAR 1.Colonists became more independent 2. Colonial militia gained experience 3. England decided to govern more rigidly and make colonists pay for war 4.English colonies doubled in size
19. The most important outcome of the war is that the British decided to _________ the colonies more rigidly. A. trade with B. ignore C. govern
Pontiac’s War after French and Indian War Indians upset with settlers because settlers want to own land permanently
Jeffery Amherst-Indian Affairs Agent sends blankets contaminated with smallpox to Indians no natural resistance-die by thousands
20. Pontiac leads uprising because English want to __________ land. A. farm B. use C. farm D. give away