Presentation on theme: "„Agropuzzle 2” meeting in Portugal 06 - 12 April 2014 Presentation Day 2."— Presentation transcript:
„Agropuzzle 2” meeting in Portugal April 2014 Presentation Day 2
Directions for creating of multimedia presentation by participants of Portugal’s mobility within Leonardo da Vinci „Agropuzzle 2” project.
The aim of presentation: To show characteristic features of running a farm and agribusiness enterprises in Portugal on the basis of: 1) UNITOM 2) QUEIJAIRA BRAZ & IRMAO 3) COOPERATIVA DOS FRUCTICULTORES DA COVA DA BEIRA\ 4) QUINTA DOS TERMOS Each group (country) prepare its presentation in their mother tongue or in English for every visited place taking into account: Characteristic features listed above Personal remarks and feelings not included in the chart Photos taken on the spot
1. Business specialization 1)UNITOM One of the biggest cherry fields in Portugal with 56 hectares and around trees that will produce close to 500 tons of cherries in 3 years.
2) QUEIJAIRA BRAZ & IRMAO Cheese factory that produce a variety of fresh and cured cheese using cow, goat and sheep milk.
3) COOPERATIVA DOS FRUCTICULTORES DA COVA DA BEIRA Fruit cooperative built in 1966 with 4 partners that now has over 220 partners that gathers and sells local fruits. 4) QUINTA DOS TERMOS Winery with 120 hectares of vines that produces 24 varieties of wine that translates to bottles of wine per year.
2. Family oriented business activity 1)UNITOM The farm has only one owner. 2) QUEIJAIRA BRAZ & IRMAO This is not a family business.
3) COOPERATIVA DOS FRUCTICULTORES DA COVA DA BEIRA The ownership of the cooperative is divided between it’s members. 4) QUINTA DOS TERMOS The farm has an old tradition in wine making and it’s in the family for a couple of generations.
3. Vocational education of company owners and their children connected to secondary agricultural school 1)UNITOM The owner does not have a any agricultural studies but he owns other companies that are specialized in fruit production. 2) QUEIJAIRA BRAZ & IRMAO The cheese making process, even if it’s made with modern equipment, the production method is still a traditional one.
3) COOPERATIVA DOS FRUCTICULTORES DA COVA DA BEIRA The cooperative employed 2 agricultural engineers to supervise both the storage of fruits, but also give council to all the associates on production methods. 4) QUINTA DOS TERMOS The owner has education in textile industry but he learned to make wine from his father ever since he was a child.
4. Acquiring of funds from European projects aimed at development and modernization of farms and enterprises (in close relation to agricultural education) 1)UNITOM The plantation was established with 35% EU funding. 2) QUEIJAIRA BRAZ & IRMAO The new equipment for package was financed by EU program up to 25%.
3) COOPERATIVA DOS FRUCTICULTORES DA COVA DA BEIRA They had EU funding at the beginning of it’s existence. 4) QUINTA DOS TERMOS For modernizing the winery they accessed EU funding.
5. Cooperation with regional institutions 1)UNITOM Collaboration with employment agencies for engaging seasonal workers for fruits harvesting. 2) QUEIJAIRA BRAZ & IRMAO Cooperation with local universities for increasing the quality of their products
3) COOPERATIVA DOS FRUCTICULTORES DA COVA DA BEIRA Cooperation with agronomical and soil engineers, also disease specialists from local prestige universities. 4) QUINTA DOS TERMOS The owner is a textile professor, he asks for advice from his old colleagues about vines and wines.
6. Showing significant production connections with foreigners 1)UNITOM The company is planning on exporting 50% of it’s production and also uses a wide variety of fruit trees from other countries. 2) QUEIJAIRA BRAZ & IRMAO They use local markets.
3) COOPERATIVA DOS FRUCTICULTORES DA COVA DA BEIRA Their policy is to support the local producers and also to sell at good prices in the local market, therefore they do not export any products. 4) QUINTA DOS TERMOS At the moment the winery exports 20% of it’s production, ant it plans to increase this number at 50% in the next 3 to 5 years.
7. Development of side activities such as agroitourism and restaurants 1)UNITOM As a side activity the company plans to build a jelly factory in which they can process the cherry that cannot be sold fresh. 2) QUEIJAIRA BRAZ & IRMAO They do not have any side activity.
3) COOPERATIVA DOS FRUCTICULTORES DA COVA DA BEIRA Besides collecting and selling fruit, the cooperative also sells inputs to the farmers and also they have a petrol station with the best price in the region. 4) QUINTA DOS TERMOS In the plantation wine making is the only activity.
8. The use of natural climatic and soil qualities in running the company within given area 1)UNITOM The region, with it’s unique climatic and soil condition is perfectly suitable for cherry production, makes this one of the few area in which cherry trees can grow. 2) QUEIJAIRA BRAZ & IRMAO Location of the facility is in a region with many milk producing farms. Using the local milk gives the cheese a flavor specific to the region.
3) COOPERATIVA DOS FRUCTICULTORES DA COVA DA BEIRA The cooperative is situated in an area famous for it’s fruit production. 4) QUINTA DOS TERMOS The sandy soil, the good control of the humidity and temperature in the fields, and sunny weather makes for a great quality grapes.
9. The use of landscape qualities in running an agricultural company 1)UNITOM Given that the plantation is placed on different altitudes makes the cherries mature in different periods which makes the harvesting more efficient. 2) QUEIJAIRA BRAZ & IRMAO Milk production is influenced by feeding animals grazing in natural areas
3)COOPERATIVA DOS FRUCTICULTORES DA COVA DA BEIRA The quality of fruits depend of climatic conditions. 4) QUINTA DOS TERMOS The southern exposed slopes and the protection given by the mountains makes this a perfectly suitable place for vine growing which results in a quality wine.
10. Reduction of unemployment in the local area due to creation of new workplaces (recently) 1)UNITOM It only has 2 employees but in the harvest season they will need 60 more, which will be mostly local people. 2) QUEIJAIRA BRAZ & IRMAO In the nearest future there is no need for new employees, but the actual employees are from Peraboa region.
3) COOPERATIVA DOS FRUCTICULTORES DA COVA DA BEIRA They have 10 local people working at the cooperative but with the plans to move to a bigger facility this number is likely to increase. 4) QUINTA DOS TERMOS For the wine making, the company uses only 5 local people. In the fields they have 12 more but because they do the harvesting manually, in that period they need 60 more.
11. Proecological activities 1)UNITOM -Establish trees plantations using local varieties adapted to climatic conditions from Fundao region; -Collect rain water in natural lakes then used to irrigate trees; -Prevent of soil erosion by grassed bands. 2) QUEIJAIRA BRAZ & IRMAO They are opened to producing and trade the organic products but marketing products with controlled geographic origin..
3) COOPERATIVA DOS FRUCTICULTORES DA COVA DA BEIRA They are encouraging farmers to adopt organic farming and in the same time they give them council in the rational usage of chemicals. 4) QUINTA DOS TERMOS In the plantation they use integrated crop management which means that they minimize the use of chemicals.
Your opinion about visited place Advantages : -All activities ensure proper traceability from the production site to the delivery at client; -The opportunity of accessing valuable information and support services to continuously improve the farm overall sustainability; -Trees are adapted to local conditions, resistant or tolerant to commercially important pests and diseases and meeting customers’ requirements; -use of local workforce and the exploitation of natural resources. Disadvantages: - large investments for terracing land, trees plantations and storage facilities.