Content PageSLIDE(S) 1. Main assumptions of the approach 2. Areas of Interest 3. Defining Key Words 4. Theories of Behaviour 5. Related Study 6. Researching of behaviour 7. Usefulness of research in this area 8. Researching Core Study
1. Main Assumptions of the approach All behavior occurs within a social context, which has norms and values. Therefore from an early age we are taught these rights and norms. Other people are a major influence on people’s behaviour, especially those who are in a position of authority. An individual’s behaviour is affected by situational factors such as the environment or upbringing.
4. Theories of Helping Behaviour THEORY 1 Social Identity Theory (Tajfel and Turner) Latane and Darley did laboratory experiments which showed what may have happened in the Kitty Genovese Case. They showed that the more people present the less likely we were to help. They called this effect ‘diffusion of responsibility’ Here is what they did: Students were put into individual cubicles to debate and told that there were different numbers of other students in other cubicles whom they would debate with via a microphone. Suddenly a fake member of the group was hear to groan and gasp for help as if having a seizure. When they believed they were the only ones present 85% helped within 60 seconds When they thought there were three people present only 62% helped within 60 seconds When they thought four or more were present only 31% helped within 60 seconds
4. Theories of Helping Behaviour THEORY 2 Social Identity Theory (Tajfel and Turner) Another theory put forward was that of ‘pluralistic ignorance’. When someone might need help we look around us for clues as to the importance of the event. If no one else is acting then we are less likely to act.
4. Theories of Helping Behaviour THEORY 3 Social Identity Theory (Tajfel and Turner) Bateson said that we are more likely to help if we empathise (can see from the other person’s viewpoint) identify with the victim – he called this the ‘empathy altruism model’.
5. Related Study : Kitty Genovese STUDY 1 The murder of Kitty Genovese. Follow the link: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/killing-kitty- genovese-47-years-holds-sway-new-yorkers-article- 1.123912 Why did people not help?
1. Using the internet find out information about the researcher Piliavin 2. Read about the core study 3. View the following sites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1NLRoaJlDY http://www.garysturt.free-online.co.uk/piliavin.htm http://prezi.com/c25l7fq_zxpb/piliavin-et-al-good-samaritan-study/ 5. Make some notes on the study, using the study template if you can. 6. Next lesson you should be able to recall information about the study.