Presentation on theme: "Let’s enjoy the wonderful world under the sea!!. Dolphins 海豚."— Presentation transcript:
Let’s enjoy the wonderful world under the sea!!
Angel fish 天使鱼
clown fish 小丑鱼
sea horse 海马
Sea Star 海星
White whale 白鲸 Killer whale 虎鲸
Old Tom the Killer Whale
Pre-reading Do you know about whales ? such as the baleen whales the killer whales
Baleen whales have no teeth but instead have baleen plates with which the whales can filter( 过滤） the food out of the water.
Orcas are highly social animals that travel in groups called pods. Pods usually consist of 5 to 30 whales, and are led by females. Orca pods often work together to catch a meal (fish, squid, birds, and marine mammals).
Killer whales are attacking a baleen whale with whalers waiting by in their boat,harpoon at the ready. What is happening in the picture ? baleen whale
Clancy A whaler Anecdotes At the beginning of the 20 th century Australia Whalers, killer whales and baleen whales baleen whales The killer whale helped the whalers to kill a baleen whale Writer Career Writing style Time Place Main character Main idea Background Information
Individual Work Individual Work Listening and Scanning
Fill in the blanks with the names mentioned in the text.Fill in the blanks with the names mentioned in the text. 1. ________was 16 years of age when he went to work at the whaling station. 2._________orderd Clancy to go to the boat as there was a whale out there in the bay. 3. _________was swimming by the boat showing the whalers the way. 4._______told Clancy that they would return the next day to bring in the body of the whale. 5._________was carried by the waves further and further away from the whalers. 6. _____knew that Old Tom would protect James.Clancy George Old Tom Jack James Red
Pair Work Pair Work Reading and skimming Reading and skimming 1. Put the following sentences into a right order. 1. Put the following sentences into a right order.
( ) George started beating the water with his oar ( ) Clancy jumped into the boat with the whalers. ( ) Clancy arrived at the whaling station ( ) The killers started racing between our boat and the whale ( ) Clancy heard a huge noise coming from the bay ( ) Clancy was sorting out his accommodation ( ) Clancy ran down to the shore ( ) The man in the bow of the boat aimed the harpoon at the whale
1.The author mainly tells us in the text that____. A. the killer whales are easily trained B. the killer whales can help the whalers catch the huge whales C. the killer whales kill the whales for their food D. the killer whales drag the whales under the water 1.The author mainly tells us in the text that____. A. the killer whales are easily trained B. the killer whales can help the whalers catch the huge whales C. the killer whales kill the whales for their food D. the killer whales drag the whales under the water 2. Choices: B
2. Old Tom throws itself out of the water and then crashes down in order to ___. A. give the whalers the information about a whale B. tell the whalers it is hungry C. help the whalers catch the whale D. inform the whalers to run away A
3. Why did the men start turning the boat around to go home after the whale died? A. Because they didn’t need a dead whale B. Because they couldn’t find the whale’s body C. Because they knew that the dead whale wouldn’t float up to the surface for around 24 hours. D. They had to do this because it was too late. 3. Why did the men start turning the boat around to go home after the whale died? A. Because they didn’t need a dead whale B. Because they couldn’t find the whale’s body C. Because they knew that the dead whale wouldn’t float up to the surface for around 24 hours. D. They had to do this because it was too late. C
4. According to the text, the killer whales can protect men from being attacked by____. A. whales B. tigers C. enemies D. sharks D
3. True or False 1.There was no evidence that Old Tom was helping out the whalers. 2.The author compares the killer whales with dogs. 3.The killer whales worked as a team. 4.The killer whales dragged the whale under the water to feed on its body. 5.The whalers returned home with the whale’s body. 6. Old Tom didn’t help out James. F T T F F F
Comprehending Finish Exercises on Page 21 Finish Exercises on Page 21
1. What evidence was there that Old Tom was helping out the whalers?
Evidence of helping the whalers throw itself out of the water and crash down again Telling the whalers there’s a whale out there
Evidence of helping the whalers swim by the boat Showing the whalers the way to the hunt
Evidence of helping the whalers Work as a team A ______ of killers are throwing themselves __________ the whale’s blow-hole to stop it _________; and some others are stopping it _______ out to sea. pack on top of breathing fleeing
Evidence of helping the whalers The killers started ________ between our boat and the whale just like a pack of _______ dogs. Then the ________ was ready and the man in the ______ of the boat _______ it ___ the whale and let it _____,then it hit the spot. racing excited harpoon bow aimedat go
summary Get the main ideas of the two anecdotes. describes a hunting experience about how the killer whales helped the whalers to hunt a whale. tells about how a killer whale protected and saved James, a whaler. The first anecdote The second one
Discussion Discuss the relationship between Old Tom and the whalers.