We think you have liked this presentation. If you wish to download it, please recommend it to your friends in any social system. Share buttons are a little bit lower. Thank you!
Presentation is loading. Please wait.
Published byHilda Greene
Modified over 2 years ago
Click to edit Master title style Click to edit Master subtitle style CLICKER QUESTIONS For CAMPBELL BIOLOGY, NINTH EDITION Jane B. Reece, Lisa A. Urry, Michael L. Cain, Steven A. Wasserman, Peter V. Minorsky, Robert B. Jackson © 2011 Pearson Education, Inc. Mendel and the Gene Idea Chapter 14 Questions prepared by Janet Lanza University of Arkansas at Little Rock Louise Paquin McDaniel College
© 2011 Pearson Education, Inc. Independent Assortment Imagine crossing a pea heterozygous at the loci for flower color (white versus purple) and seed color (yellow versus green) with a second pea homozygous for flower color (white) and seed color (yellow). What types of gametes will the first pea produce? a)two gamete types: white/white and purple/purple b)two gamete types: white/yellow and purple/green c)four gamete types: white/yellow, white/green, purple/yellow, purple/green d)four gamete types: white/purple, yellow/green,white/white, and purple/purple e)one gamete type: white/purple/yellow/green
© 2011 Pearson Education, Inc. Pea plants were particularly well suited for use in Mendel's breeding experiments for all of the following reasons except that a)peas show easily observed variations in a number of characters, such as pea shape and flower color. b)it is possible to control matings between different pea plants. c)it is possible to obtain large numbers of progeny from any given cross. d)peas have an unusually long generation time. e)many of the observable characters that vary in pea plants are controlled by single genes.
© 2011 Pearson Education, Inc. A cross between homozygous purple-flowered and homozygous white-flowered pea plants results in offspring with purple flowers. This demonstrates a)the blending model of genetics. b)true-breeding. c)dominance. d)a dihybrid cross. e)the mistakes made by Mendel.
© 2011 Pearson Education, Inc. Imagine a genetic counselor working with a couple who have just had a child who is suffering from Tay-Sachs disease. Neither parent has Tay-Sachs, nor does anyone in their families. Which of the following statements should this counselor make to this couple? a)“Because no one in either of your families has Tay-Sachs, you are not likely to have another baby with Tay-Sachs. You can safely have another child.” b)“Because you have had one child with Tay-Sachs, you must each carry the allele. Any child you have has a 50% chance of having the disease.” c)“Because you have had one child with Tay-Sachs, you must each carry the allele. Any child you have has a 25% chance of having the disease.” d)“Because you have had one child with Tay-Sachs, you must both carry the allele. However, since the chance of having an affected child is 25%, you may safely have thee more children without worrying about having another child with Tay-Sachs.” e)“You must both be tested to see who is a carrier of the Tay-Sachs allele.”
© 2011 Pearson Education, Inc. Albinism in humans occurs when both alleles at a locus produce defective enzymes in the biochemical pathway leading to melanin. Given that heterozygotes are normally pigmented, which of the following statements is/are correct? a)One normal allele produces as much melanin as two normal alleles. b)Each defective allele produces a little bit of melanin. c)Two normal alleles are needed for normal melanin production. d)The two alleles are codominant. e)The amount of sunlight will not affect skin color of heterozygotes.
© 2011 Pearson Education, Inc. Imagine that the last step in a biochemical pathway to the red skin pigment of an apple is catalyzed by enzyme X, which changes compound C to compound D. If an effective enzyme is present, compound D is formed and the apple skin is red. However, if the enzyme is not effective, only compound C is present and the skin is yellow. Thinking about enzyme action, what can you accurately say about a heterozygote with one allele for an effective enzyme X and one allele for an ineffective enzyme X? a)The phenotype will probably be yellow but cannot be red. b)The phenotype will probably be red but cannot be yellow. c)The phenotype will be a yellowish red. d)The phenotype will be either yellow or red. e)The phenotype will be either yellowish red or red.
© 2011 Pearson Education, Inc. In humans, alleles for dark hair are genetically dominant, while alleles for light hair are recessive. Which of the following statements is/are most likely to be correct? a)Dark hair alleles are more common than light hair alleles in all areas of Europe. b)Dark hair alleles are more common than light hair alleles in southern Europe but not in northern Europe. c)Dark hair alleles are equally common in all parts of Europe. d)Dark hair is dominant to light hair in southern Europe but recessive to light hair in northern Europe. e)Dark hair is dominant to light hair in northern Europe but recessive to light hair in southern Europe.
© 2011 Pearson Education, Inc. Imagine a locus with four different alleles for fur color in an animal. The alleles are named D a, D b, D c, and D d. If you crossed two heterozygotes, D a D b and D c D d, what genotype proportions would you expect in the offspring? a)25% D a D c, 25% D a D d, 25% D b D c, 25% D b D d b)50% D a D b, 50% D c D d c)25% D a D a, 25% D b D b, 25% D c D c, 25% D d D d D c D d d)50% D a D c, 50% D b D d e)25% D a D b, 25% D c D d, 25% D c D c, 25% D d D d
© 2011 Pearson Education, Inc. Imagine a family with two parents who both maintain low fat levels through a combination of aerobic activity and weight training. Which of the following statements is/are most likely to apply to their two children? a)The parents’ fat levels are irrelevant to the fat levels of the children. b)One child is likely to have low fat levels but the other is more likely to have high fat levels because of independent assortment of genes. c)The children may not have the same fat levels as their parents because genes independently assort during meiosis.
© 2011 Pearson Education, Inc. Envision a family in which the grandfather, age 47, has just been diagnosed with Huntington’s disease. His daughter, age 25, now has a 2-year- old baby boy. No one else in the family has the disease. What is the probability that the daughter will contract the disease? a)0% b)25% c)50% d)75% e)100%
© 2011 Pearson Education, Inc. Review the family described in the previous question. What is the probability that the baby will contract the disease? a)0% b)25% c)50% d)75% e)100%
© 2011 Pearson Education, Inc. Imagine that you are the daughter in the family described in the previous questions. You had been planning on having a second child. What kind of choices would you make about genetic testing, for yourself and for your child?
© 2011 Pearson Education, Inc. When a disease is said to have a multifactorial basis, it means that a) both genetic and environmental factors contribute to the disease. b) it is caused by a gene with a large number of alleles. c) it affects a large number of people. d) it has many different symptoms. e) it tends to skip a generation.
Mendel and the Gene Idea
CH11. Fig. 1. Difference between the outcomes from blending and from particulate inheritance. In post-Mendelian terms, we assume a single diallelic locus,
Genetics: Part I Mendel and the Gene. 2 Marfans Syndrome Cleft chin Colorblindness Polydactyly Widows peak Freckles.
Bio 130 – Quiz March 30. Q. 1 Albinism in humans occurs when both alleles at a locus produce defective enzymes in the biochemical pathway leading to melanin.
Mendelian Genetics Introduction to Biology. 12/4 Warm-up You will need 2 half sheets of paper. 1.On your own, you will create 5 quiz questions about Meiosis.
Mendel wondered if genes that determine different traits affect one another. He did an experiment to find out. Mendel found that the gene for seed shape.
Bio 130 – Quiz March 28.
Chapter 14. Mendel and Heredity Gregor Mendel – Austrian Munk Worked with heredity in pea plants Wanted to determine how characters and traits were.
Copyright © 2005 Pearson Education, Inc. publishing as Benjamin Cummings Active Lecture Questions for use with Classroom Response Systems Biology, Seventh.
Chapter 9 Patterns of Inheritance
11-3: Exploring Mendelian Genetics Objectives: Explain the principle of independent assortment. Describe the inheritance patterns that exist aside.
Chapter 14 Mendel and the Gene Idea. The “ blending ” hypothesis is the idea that genetic material from the two parents blends together (like blue and.
Genetics: Part IV Genetic Disorders.
CHAPTER 11 GENETICS Genetic discoveries 45 minutes.
Pea plants have several advantages for genetics.
Copyright © 2005 Pearson Education, Inc. publishing as Benjamin Cummings PowerPoint Lectures for Biology, Seventh Edition Neil Campbell and Jane Reece.
© 2017 SlidePlayer.com Inc. All rights reserved.