Jane Silvey Assistant Director Center for Curriculum Services 903 – 988 – 6796 email@example.com Welcome to: TEKS PD Information
1) Copyrighted material 1) Copyrighted material Materials are the property of Texas Education Agency and/or the University of Texas System Materials are the property of Texas Education Agency and/or the University of Texas System You may copy templates and handouts for classroom use You may copy templates and handouts for classroom use Files cannot be transmitted electronically or shared with people who have not been trained Files cannot be transmitted electronically or shared with people who have not been trained TEKS PD Information TEKS PD Information Before we begin:
These trainings may only be presented with the permission of Region 7 and Through registration on Region 7’s web site TEKS PD Information TEKS PD Information Before we begin:
During the presentations you are representing Region 7 ESC and will be required to follow the Region 7 ESC dress code. Examples of appropriate professional attire include dress slacks, dress shirt and necktie, dresses, full split skirts, suits, dress slacks and jacket, and sundresses with jackets.
Inappropriate apparel for staff includes: stretch pants/leggings, city shorts, sleeveless apparel, capri pants, and jeans. Personnel shall wear appropriate footwear to include hose/trouser socks. Flip-flops and tennis shoes are prohibited
Acceptable pierced body jewelry is limited to earrings for female employees. All other body piercings are removed or concealed All tattoos must be covered.
5. Which teachers are eligible to attend? Certified, full-time teachers (including bilingual/ESL and special education) and teacher leaders who teach in the grade level/content area specified in the training descriptors (available through each ESC) are eligible to attend. Administrators/coordinators are also eligible to attend, but they are not eligible to receive a stipend.
6. May teachers attend more than one training and receive more than one stipend? To attend any academy, the participant must sign a verification form stating that his assignment includes the content area addressed in the training, whether working with students or teachers. If a teacher has multiple assignments (e.g., 6th grade math and science), he is eligible to attend both academies and receive stipends from both academies. An exception is the ELPS Academies. A teacher/teacher leader may attend multiple ELPS academies, but she can only receive one stipend from the first academy.
12. Can an administrator, professional development coordinator, literacy coach, content area director, academic dean, etc. attend the academies? Other participants may attend the training. Each ESC will use verification guidelines to determine who is eligible to attend and receive a stipend and who may attend (on a space available basis) but will not receive a stipend. In some cases, an administrator overview will be available.
13. What if a teacher has an emergency and misses any of the face-to-face training sessions? Can a participant split the session (e.g., attend 2 days at one session and go to the third day at a later date)? A teacher is expected to register for an academy that fits within her schedule and attend a complete face- to-face session.
Continued: If unavoidable circumstances arise, the teacher will need to work with an ESC representative to arrange a time to make up what was missed or attend a new academy. Extreme emergencies only (determined by ESC) otherwise retaking the entire training is required Contact Jane Silvey Work 903-988-6796 Cell 903 521 5503
13. Who can receive a stipend? Teachers and teacher leaders are eligible to receive stipends. (Teacher leaders are individuals who may not work directly with students but who work primarily with content area teachers as mentors, coaches, strategists, coordinators, etc.) Because academy attendees will receive stipends, teachers/teacher leaders must sign a verification form (provided by TEA) stating that their assignment includes the content area addressed in the training, whether working with students or teachers. In order to receive a stipend, the participant must successfully complete the full training.
26. What if something like a traffic accident causes participants to arrive 15 minutes late? Is this OK? It is acceptable for participants to lose a total of 15 minutes in training – especially when dealing with unavoidable issues like traffic accidents. (per 6 hour day)
Question: can private teachers and non-grade level teachers attend for no stipend? The rules say these folks may attend if space is available - Region 7 has no space available for non-grade level teachers or private school teachers. Our sessions are full.
29. Can a certified special education teacher who co- teaches in the math classroom attend an MSTAR Academy and receive the stipend? Yes, a certified special education teacher who co- teaches within a general education classroom or provides interventions in a content mastery classroom is eligible to attend an academy and receive the stipend.
32. How do we work with teachers who are not certain of their teaching assignment for the upcoming year? First, verify that a teacher is employed by a district and will serve as a teacher within that district during the 2011-12 school year. If he is employed by a district, he may enroll in training that corresponds with the assignment he has at the time of the training.
33. What if a teacher began the MSTAR Academy I training last year and completed the additional online courses, but was laid off due to district budget cuts. Can she still complete the MSTAR Academy I: Part B Completion training and receive the stipend? Yes, the teacher may complete training and receive the stipend.
What documentation must a teacher present to attend the MSATR I Part B completion? The teacher must present certificates showing she/he has completed 12 hours online training including the two required classes: MSTAR Academy 1:Review and Needs Assessment and MSTAR Academy 1: Lesson Study Model
Please complete this form and attach a certificate of completion for the prerequisite course(s) Please complete this form and attach a certificate of completion for the prerequisite course(s)
Complete this form and attach a certificate of completion for each of the prerequisites. The first 100 participants to complete all the MATAR will receive stipends.
Sign-in sheets –Morning – take up 15 minutes after start of session –After lunch – take up 15 minutes after start of session –End of day sign in sheet –Return sign-in sheets in person or by fax (903-988-6800) with in 24 hours
TEKS PD Information TEKS PD Information 3) Sign-in Sheets Grant requirement!!! Grant requirement!!! You can not miss more than 15 minutes of training (per 6 hours) to receive stipend. You can not miss more than 15 minutes of training (per 6 hours) to receive stipend. You must have participants: You must have participants: Sign in at the beginning of each day Sign in at the beginning of each day Sign in after lunch each day Sign in after lunch each day Sign out at the end of each day Sign out at the end of each day Return sign-in sheets in person or by fax (903-988-6800) with in 24 hours
–Sign in sheets –Teacher verification form –Stipend form Teachers receiving comp time for training cannot receive a stipend – draw diagonal line across the form and at top put Not-Eligible –W-9 If teachers will not receive a stipend, do not complete –Region 7 personnel will pick up paperwork the morning of the first training day –Return sign-in sheets in person or by fax (903-988- 6800) with in 24 hours
Sign-in sheets –Morning – take up 15 minutes after start of session –After lunch – take up 15 minutes after start of session –End of day sign in sheet
2) Complete paperwork paperwork Stipend Stipend TEKS PD Information TEKS PD Information John Doe June 1, 2011 firstname.lastname@example.org Official course name June 1-3, 2011 Super Duper ISD Stellar High School $100 per day X 3 days of training = $300 John Doe 423 Sierra Cove Longview, Tx 75605 1234 (903) 555-1234 (903) 555-5678 19713641300891199 000 Before we begin: Must be school email!!
TEKS PD Information TEKS PD Information Before we begin: 2) Complete paperwork paperwork W-9 W-9 Complete Complete Sign Sign Date Date
Provide training as presented in TOT –E–Evaluators from TEA may attend sessions Ensure paperwork is completed accurately Secure confidential information (even address, phone # are considered confidential) –L–Lock boxes will be provided –R–Region 7 staff will pick up all confidential material
Voice over PowerPoint to be used at the beginning of each training. (by May 27) –Directions on completing paperwork –State requirements Master schedule of all trainings and contact information for all presenters Official titles of campuses and districts
All materials for trainings will be provided by Region 7. Presenters are responsible for picking up materials at least 48 hours before the training (call first) Presenters are responsible for returning presentation materials within 48 hours after the training.
All equipment checked out will include instructions – please practice before the morning of the presentation. Please return consultant payment forms completed within 24 hours after the session.
If questions arise and you are not sure of the answer – contact Jane Silvey 903-988-6796 or 903-521-5503 If questions arise and you are not sure of the answer – contact Jane Silvey 903-988-6796 or 903-521-5503
TEKS PD Information TEKS PD Information Email or call: Jane Silvey email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org 903 988 6796 Think About it