Presentation on theme: "Greek Government & Society"— Presentation transcript:
1Greek Government & Society Chapter 5.2Greek Government& Society
21. Most Greek city-states developed around a A. temple.B. fort.C. seaport.D. river.
32. The Iliad tells the story of the A. fall of Mycenaean civilization.B. life of Odysseus.C. Greek gods.D. Trojan War.
43. This image was used toA. sneak Greek soldiers into the city of Troy.B. pay homage to the mighty warriors in the Persian War.C. teach children how to properly ride a horse.D. serve as a tribute to Athena, Goddess of War.
54. Greek myths were most often used to A. create support for leaders.B. explain nature and the world around them.C. show people how to build cities.D. provide a useful way to conquer other people.
65. The purpose of the Olympic games was A. to honor Zeus.B. establish the strength of a city-state.C. prepare for war.D. choose a king.
76. City-states run by groups of nobles were known as A. hoplites.B. tyrants.C. democracies.D. aristocracies.
87. The Oracle of Delphi was thought to be A. a tomb for Greek kings.B. a voice for the gods.C. the first Olympic hero.D. the site of a famous sea battle.
98. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of a hoplite? A. They were non-aristocratic.B. They were foot soldiers who carried long spears.C. They used formations of closely spaced rows.D. They were known for their fast and high leaping skills.
109. Tyrants A. took power illegally but with the backing of the people. B. used personal armies to overthrow city-state kings.C. began as brutal dictators with absolute power.D. were just and fair rulers who brought better lives to their people.
1110. Which of the following statements about democracy is NOT true? A. Democracy is a government where the citizens take part.B. Ancient Athens only allowed full political rights to adult men born in Greece.C. Some ancient Greek city-states allowed all adult male city-state residents to participate in government.D. Spartan women were the first allowed to participate in democratic government.