Presentation on theme: "LIVESTOCK VALUE CHAINS - ACHIEVEMENTS TO DATE 2012"— Presentation transcript:
1LIVESTOCK VALUE CHAINS - ACHIEVEMENTS TO DATE 2012 FEDERAL DEPARTMENT OF LIVESTOCK AND PEST CONTROL SERVICESFEDERAL MINISTRY OF AGRICUTURE AND RURAL DEVELOPMENT,ABUJA.
2Livestock Value Chains There are five (5) Livestock Value Chains namely; 1.Dairy Value Chain 2. Beef Value Chain 3. Sheep and Goat Value Chain 4. Poultry Value Chain 5. Leather Value ChainPig Value Chain will take off by 2013.
31. Dairy Value ChainMilk collection is on - going in Oyo State (547mt of milk collected to date in the five milk collection centres)Five milk collections centres established in the last 2 quarters in Oyo StateRehabilitation of fours roads across five milk collection centres in Wasinmi Grazing Reserve, Oyo State is On - going
41. Dairy Value Chain Draft Comprehensive breeding plan completed Three existing breeding centres at FunaFuna, Niger State, Paikon Kore, FCT and Jibiro, Adamawa State selected as community AI Service centresFirst set of EAs trained on milk hygiene and animal Health
52. Leather Value ChainIn collaboration with GEMS organised two mini trade fairs on Finished Leather Goods (FLGs)50 Shoemakers trained in various aspects of shoe making50 small scale producers were identified and granted loans by GEMS, a programme of DFID partnering with the Leather value chain500 jobs were created by engaging artisans in the leather industry
63. Beef Value ChainSelection of loan beneficiaries for fattening scheme on-going in the statesBank of Agriculture ready for loan disbursement to selected fattenersMckinsey Consultants visited Nigeria to assess the possibility of establishment of Halal Certified Meat Processing and Packaging Centres in Nigeria (HCMPPC).
73. Beef Value ChainThe contract for the procurement of AI equipments and accessories for the improvement of local breeds has been awarded by the ministerial tender boardArrangements for conducting a study on HCMPPC under way
84. Animal Health5.3million doses of CBPP vaccine allocated to 5 States (Benue, Niger, Katsina, Jigawa & FCT)3.55million doses of PPR vaccine allocated to 9 States (Benue, Niger, Katsina, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kwara, Delta, Ogun & FCT)Sero monitoring carried out for 3 diseases namely: Newcastle Disease, Infectious Bursal Disease, and African Swine FeverProcurement of 4500doses of Anti-rabies vaccines to Benue and Cross Rivers State
9Pest Control200 flight hours carried out in Jigawa, Kebbi & Sokoto)
10NATIONAL LIVESTOCK TRAINING CENTRE, KACHIA Commissioned by the HMA on 14th Oct., 2010Collaborates with the following Institutions for Resource persons:NAERLS (Livestock Extension delivery methodology,Cooperative formation and managent,etcATBU, Bauchi (Pasture prodn)Uni-Agric Makurdi (Swine,Poultry and Microlivestock production and management)NAPRI (Dairy /Beef cattle production, pasture production)University of Maiduguri(Sheep and Goats production and mgt)
11FACILITIES Some of the facilities in the Centre are: 31 Bed hostel 500 seat Conference hallComputer unitLecture Classes with Syndicate roomsRestaurant with Dinning hall250 KVA GeneratorWater from borehole supplyLibraryClinicLaundry
12COURSES OFFERED BY THE CENTRE 19 courses for a start; some include;Livestock Extension Delivery MethodologyLivestock Credit administration and recoveryFeeds and FeedingLivestock products processing, storage and marketing.Livestock Cooperative formation and management
13COURSES CON’TDairy cattle production and managementBeef cattle production and managementPoultry (Egg)Layer production and managementPoultry(Broiler) production and managementSwine production and managementMicrolivestock productionAnimal traction
14TARGET AUDIENCE Livestock personnel (FGN, States – ADPs, MANR, LGAs) Smallholder, Peri-urban and Commercial farmersNGOs, Interested farmers and new entrants (Retirees, Youth Corpers, etc)
15ABOUT THE TRAININGDURATION OF TRAINING- Range from one(1) to two (2) weeks depending on the course.OUTCOME OF TRAINING- Certificate of Attendance
16ACHIEVEMENTS (2012)68 Pastoralists trained on Modern Dairy cattle production28 livestock farmers trained on profitable Swine production57 Livestock Officers (one each from FMARD and State MANR of the 37 States and FCT) trained on-Extension Delivery Methodology, Conflict Resolution and Management and ICTCollaborated with NASRUN Ltd and trained 60 Livestock personnels from Adamawa, Kwara, Gombe, Bauchi and Kaduna States on Feeds and Feeding.
17Concluded plans to train of 200 Youths from North East and North West Geopolitical Zone of the country, under the Youth and Gender Empowerment sheme of the FMARD