Presentation on theme: "RANDOLPH-HENRY HIGH SCHOOL AUDITORIUM Our Beginnings All information comes from old Randolph-Henry annuals and newspapers. Pictures were scanned from those."— Presentation transcript:
RANDOLPH-HENRY HIGH SCHOOL AUDITORIUM Our Beginnings All information comes from old Randolph-Henry annuals and newspapers. Pictures were scanned from those same sources or were provided by various individuals.
PLANNING BEGINS At first, there were 8 high schools in Charlotte County. The idea for consolidation began in 1927; ten years were spent in discussion. When Phenix High School was destroyed by fire in 1937, the Charlotte County School Board decided to consolidate.
MONEY IS RAISED Charlotte County received a PWA grant of $105,000, the county raised $106,000, and David K. E. Bruce donated $25,000 for a total value of $236,000. Mr. Bruce
CONSTRUCTION BEGINS Construction started October 1938. Work was completed December 1939. However, because of a record snowstorm, school did not begin in buildings until September 1939. Enrollment: 711 students.
A NAME IS CHOSEN The School Board voted to name the school “Charlotte County High School.” However the students requested to have a say in the naming of the school. The Board agreed and a vote was taken: Randolph was chosen for John Randolph, and Henry was chosen for Patrick Henry. Student Vote from November, 1939: Randolph Henry H. S. (284) Charlotte County H. S. (156) Henry Randolph H. S. (126)
THE FIRST CLUBS In September of 1939, the chapter of the FFA and the FHA were founded. Mr. H. A. Glenn advised the FFA and the meeting was held at the Village Presbyterian Church. The FFA is still active today.
OUR BAND BEGINS On February 26, 1940, Clyde Duval organized the Band with 6 members.
OUR BAND BEGINS By 1942, the band had grown to 35 and purchased 35 uniforms.
OUR SCHOOL SONG In addition to starting the band, Mr. Duval also wrote our school song.
THE PIANO IS DONATED BY MR. BRUCE A piano class is formed in 1939 under the instruction of Mrs. Lessie Owen. The earliest picture of the piano class from the 1942 annual.
CHORAL BEGINS Glee Club is formed in 1939 under the direction of Mrs. Rebecca Paine. The earliest picture of the choral class from the 1942 annual.
AS DOES THEATRE Mrs. Frances Milton organized the first theatre club, “Delta Omicron Psi,” who won the Southside Dramatic Tournament cup in 1940 for its presentation of “My Lady’s Lace.” This picture is of Mrs. Elizabeth Priddy who took over in 1941 after Mrs. Milton’s death.
THE STAGE IS USED The auditorium was used for the first time when the Local Women’s Club sponsored a beauty contest with 91 participants in March 1940. This was followed by a Historical Pageant.
FIRST SENIOR GIFT However, these two shows revealed a need:
The performing arts were also important to the students of Central High School.
IN 1969-1970, RANDOLPH- HENRY H. S. AND CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL UNITED.
“Faith is for the future. Faith builds on the past but never longs to stay there. Faith trusts that God has great things in store for each of us.” ~Jeffrey R. Holland THE FOUNDATION HAS BEEN LAID
THE BAND Won its first title at the 1957 Jay Cee Bowl for “Most Outstanding Band.” Won its first parade in the 1958 4H parade. Since then, the band has won Over 100 first place trophies at competitions. Received all first places at judged Christmas parades for the past 20 years. The concert band regularly has received and continues to receive ratings of Superior and/or Excellent at state concert band assessments. Starting with 6 students, today, our band has 40 members and 7 color guard members. It is directed by Mr. Derek Ramsey.
FORENSICS AND DEBATE Forensics won its first tournament in 1958. Since then R-H has won 24 District Titles and 8 Regional Titles. Been State Runner Up 3 times. Been State Champion 2 times. Had 15 Individual State Champions. Debate won its first tournament in 1961 Since then R-H has won 2 state titles. Today, the forensics team is coached by Mrs. Deborah Ketchum and has 32 team members. The debate team is coached by Miss Regina Nelson and has 7 team members.
THEATRE Won its first title at the Southside Dramatic Tournament cup in 1940. Since then the theatre has won 2 State Championships 3 State Runner’s Up 4 Regional Championships 19 District Championships 1 VTA Runner’s Up From its beginnings of 8, our theatre classes have grown to 98 students with 38 additional students participating in the after-school program. R-H theatre is directed by Mrs. Deborah Ketchum.
MORE THEATRE (INDIVIDUAL AWARDS) 2 State All Star Actors 10 Region B All Star Actors 9 JRD Performers of the Year 2 VTA Performers of the Year 5 VTA All-Star Actors. 2 Costume State Champions and 2 Costume State Runner’s Up 1 Set Design State Champion and 1 Set Design State Finalist. 5 Playwriting State Champions. 2 Actors Selected for Governor’s School for the Performing Arts
BUILDING ON OUR PAST TO MOVE INTO THE FUTURE The original Equipment Room The original Lighting Board