Presentation on theme: "History of the Greensboro Center 1927-Present. About the Greensboro Center Located at 412 Greensboro Street in the heart of the Greensboro Historic District,"— Presentation transcript:
About the Greensboro Center Located at 412 Greensboro Street in the heart of the Greensboro Historic District, historians and architects alike believe the Jacobethan Revival styled Greensboro Center is among the most architecturally outstanding buildings in Starkville.
About the Greensboro Center Constructed in 1927 to house Starkville High School, the Greensboro Center is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Greensboro Historic District.
Important Dates in the Greensboro Center’s History Bonds issued in 1925 Constructed in 1927 Vacated in 1979 Renovated in 1985 Grand Opening in 1987
Building the Greensboro Center The money to build the Greensboro Center came from a 1925 bond issue. Voters authorized the Starkville Separate School District to issue bonds in the amount of $100,000 to build a modern high school building.
Building the Greensboro Center The current location of the Greensboro Center is not the original site. The school board planned to purchase a lot on the corner of Greensboro and Yeates Streets, but a group of residents thought the new high school should be located in a different location, near or adjoining the old building, which is now Overstreet Elementary School, the oldest building in the Starkville School District.
Building the Greensboro Center A legal battle followed that was eventually decided by the Mississippi Supreme Court, but by that time, the asking price for the lot on Greensboro and Yeates Streets had increased, and the school board decided to purchase the lot on the corner of Greensboro and Louisville Streets, where the Greensboro Center is currently located.
Schools and Offices located in the Greensboro Center Site of Starkville High School from 1927- 1962 Site of Armstrong Middle School from 1962-1979 Site of Central Office Building for Starkville School District 1987-present
Renovation of the Greensboro Center Voters passed a $4.25 million bond issue in 1985 $900,000 included for the Greensboro Center 17,730 square feet was renovated including central offices, an alternative education classroom, and the auditorium
Board of Trustees Clyde Williams, President Mary Bell, Secretary Ann Andrews Victor Evans Paul Millsaps, Jr. Dan Camp, appointed in 1987
Greensboro Center Grand Opening and Dedication A place for our people October 22, 1987 Governor Bill Allain delivered the keynote address Kicked off a month long festival-type celebration