Presentation on theme: "1. Bulb Structure containing an embryonic plant and food for the plant."— Presentation transcript:
1. Bulb Structure containing an embryonic plant and food for the plant.
2. As a general rule, what is the best way to plant bulbs? Mass Planting
3. You should avoid planting bulbs in ___________ __________ _________. thinnarrowrows
4. Is it a good idea to plant bulbs in wooded areas? Yes
5. Is it a good idea to plant bulbs in rock gardens? Yes
6. Is it a good idea to plant bulbs with evergreen shrubs? Yes
7. Can bulbs be used as cut flowers? Yes
Loam Soil 8.What is the best kind of soil for growing bulbs?
9. How can you add organic matter to your bulb soil? Add Peat Moss, Leaf Mold, Compost, or Rotted Manure
10. What is the best soil pH for growing bulbs? 7.0
Tuberous Rooted Begonia (Tuber) Spring, 1” deep
Gladiolus Spring, 5” deep
Dahlia (tuber) Spring, 8” deep
Crocus Fall, 4” deep
Hyacinth Fall, 6” deep
Bulbous Iris Fall, 6” deep
Lily Fall, 7” deep
Tulip Fall, 9” deep
Daffodil Fall, 10” deep
20. What is a good kind of fertilizer to use for bulbs?
21. As a general rule, how far apart should bulbs be planted? Same as the planting depth.
22. When should you dig up your spring flowering bulbs? After the foliage turns yellow and dies back.
23. How often should you dig up tulip and hyacinth bulbs in order to ensure high quality blooming? Every year
24. How often should daffodil, crocus, and lily bulbs be dug up and replanted? Every 3 to 5 years
25. What time of the year do tulips, hyacinths, daffodils, crocus, and lily’s bloom?
26. What time of the year do dahlias, tuberous-rooted begonias, calla, and gladiolus flower?
27. When should your summer flowering bulbs be dug up? flowering bulbs be dug up? Fall – after the first frost has killed the foliage.
28. Why should you wait until the bulb’s foliage (leaves) have completely died back before you dig them up? Shows the growth cycle is over and food is stored in the bulb.
29. What is the best temperature for storage of bulbs?
30.How can you prevent insects from damaging your bulbs when they are in storage? Dust with pesticides
31. How can you prevent moisture loss from your bulbs when they are in storage? Cover with sawdust or peat moss
32. Why is it a bad idea to cut the tops off of your bulbs before they have died back naturally? Will reduce next year’s flowering if removed too soon.
33. Summarize the process of Forcing Bulbs? 1.Fill pot 2/3 full of soil. 2.Place bulb in pot, point up, flat side out. 3.Fill with soil, leave ¼ inch of bulb tip protruding. 4.Label. 5.Place outside in cold frame or cover with bark. 6.Bring bulbs into greenhouse about January Water. 8.Kemp temperature at 60 degrees.