Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Black Holes And other mysterious matters of the Universe.

Similar presentations

Presentation on theme: "Black Holes And other mysterious matters of the Universe."— Presentation transcript:

1 Black Holes And other mysterious matters of the Universe.

2 Definition of a Black Hole “An object whose gravity is so strong that the escape velocity from it exceeds the speed of light” (Comins G-1).

3 Speed of Light Light travels at a speed of 1.86*10^5 km/s. With light not even being able to escape it is impossible for galaxies or other black holes to escape a large enough Black Hole.

4 Technological Advances Hubble Telescope Computer simulations Other forms of telescopes which pick up infrared and x-ray waves in order to produce a picture of things the hubble cannot even look at. Physicist such as Stephen Hawking which help to advance new theories on such things as dark matter and Black Holes.

5 Formation of Black Holes Stars or galaxies collapse upon themselves sometimes causing the creation of a black hole. (Hawking 41).

6 Inside the Black Hole This means that the star under its own weight and gravity slowly begins to contract upon itself starting to increase its gravitational pull until light itself cannot escape due to such gravitational forces, and it also helps to illustrate that inside a Black Hole time itself would become irrelevant and eventually end. (Hawking 41).

7 Theories on the Black Hole There have been many theories on the existence of a black hole but none as great as the M-Theory, which states shows the ability of a gravitational force that can put pressure upon billions and billion of particles which make them collide with one another which is believed what happens inside a black hole.

8 Black Hole Entropy Formula Akc^3 4hG S=Black Hole Entropy A=to the area of the event horizon of a black hole C=speed of light K=Boltzmann’s Constant G=Newton’s Gravitational constant h=Planck’s Constant

9 Black Holes aren’t black Black Holes are really a transparent color, and appear black because of the stars on the outer edge of the black hole as well as the light being pulled into the black hole help to intensify the color of the sky near the black hole which is black. (Hawking).

10 Can Black Holes Duplicate Themselves? “When big black holes give birth they eat their offspring, according to a simmulation of these cataclysmic events. These acts of cosmic cannibalism could soon be picked up by space-based detectors of gravitational waves” (Chowen).

11 Locations Black holes are thought to reside at nearly the center of every galaxy which helps to keep everything in balance with each other. (Cowen)

12 Even in the Milky Way A black hole was found to reside at the center of the Milky Way Galaxy, but don’t worry before any of the nearby stars reach this black hole they will have estinguished themselves. (Cowen)

13 Other mysterious matters of the Universe Dark matter- a energy source which is believed to be neutrinos with other known elements make up 27% of the material in the universe. So what makes up the other 73%? Worm Holes- an unknown source which is believed to be a space-time continuum which leads into other dimensions. (Pasachoff).

14 Black Holes The End!!!!!!!!!

15 References Cowen, Ron. “Mystery in the middle: a stellar riddle turns up at the Milky Way’s core.” Science News v163i25 June 21, 2003: p.394(3). Infotrac. Expanded Academic ASAP. Cochise College Libraries, Sierra Vista, Arizona. 3/22/04. 840w6/purl=rc1_ EAIM_0_A106028264&dyn=25!xrn_2_0_A106028264?sw_aep =cochisecollib 840w6/purl=rc1_ EAIM_0_A106028264&dyn=25!xrn_2_0_A106028264?sw_aep =cochisecollib Cowen, Ron. “Photon drag: new spin on making a black hole.” Science News v143n6 February 6, 1993: p.86. Infotrac. Expanded Academic ASAP. Cochise College Libraries, Sierra Vista, Arizona. 3/22/04. 840w6/purl=rc1_ EAIM_0_A13434453&dyn=8!xrn_3_0_A13434453?sw_aep=co chisecollib 840w6/purl=rc1_ EAIM_0_A13434453&dyn=8!xrn_3_0_A13434453?sw_aep=co chisecollib

16 References Cowen, Ron. “Repaired Hubble finds giant black hole.” Science News v145n23 June 4, 1994: p.356(2). Infotrac. Expanded Academic ASAP. Cochise College Libraries, Sierra Vista, Arizona. 3/22/04. 47123840w6/purl=rc1EAIM_0_A16007808&dyn=20!xrn_ 13_0_A16007808?sw_aep=cochisecollib 47123840w6/purl=rc1EAIM_0_A16007808&dyn=20!xrn_ 13_0_A16007808?sw_aep=cochisecollib Hawking, Stephen. A Brief History of Time. New York: Bantam Books, 1996. Hawking, Stephen. The Universe In A Nutshell. New York: Bantam Books, 2001.

17 References Pasachoff, Jay M., A.B., A.M., Ph.D. “Cosmology.” Microsoft Online Encyclopedia 2004. 1997-2004 microsoft Corporation. 4/13/04. smology.html smology.html 318884_black_hole300.jpg 318884_black_hole300.jpg HOLE_M.jpg

Download ppt "Black Holes And other mysterious matters of the Universe."

Similar presentations

Ads by Google