Presentation on theme: "My muscles move my body like strings move a puppet."— Presentation transcript:
1My muscles move my body like strings move a puppet. My Muscular SystemMy muscles move my bodylike strings move a puppet.
2The muscular system is made up of… musclesandtendons
3How many muscles do I have? I have about 650 muscles in my body.My muscles make up half of my body weight.??? How much do your muscles weigh?
4My muscles are important because they… Hold my organs in placeHold my bones together so that I can moveHelp me chew my foodOpen and close my eyelidsPump my bloodAllow me to run and playHelp me to smile!
5It takes more muscles to Did you know?????It takes more muscles tofrownthan tosmile?
6What are muscles made of? Stretchy, elastic cells and fibersWhat else is stretchy like a muscle?
7Why do I need tendons? Try This... Tendons attach my muscles to my bone helping my body move.Feel your tendon right above your heel in the back of your leg.This is the thickest tendon in your body.Try This...
8One way to keep my muscles strong… Eat foods from the meat group every day. They are high in protein which helps to build strong muscles.Name some foods that are high in protein.
9Another way to keep strong muscles… Exercise every day.What are some things you can do every day to help keep your muscular system healthy?
101. Each muscle is made up of long slender cells called __________ 1. Each muscle is made up of long slender cells called __________. Muscles produce their movement by the __________________ of these fibers.2. Skeletal muscles attached to strong connective cords called ____________ and the __________ are, in turn, attached to ___________________.
113. The _________________ is located on the bone that remains relatively stationary and the ___________ is located on the bone that moves when the muscle ______________.4. Most of the time, both opposing muscles are both partly ____________. This is called ________________ . Tone makes it possible for a muscle to react more ______________ when needed.
125. Skeletal muscles are named according to _____________ and ___________. Examples are _____________, which pivot a bone upon its axis; _____________, which bend or decrease the angle of a joint; ______________ which straighten or increase the angle; ___________________ which move one part toward another or toward a midline; and their opposing muscles, the ________________.
13What did you learn?In your journal, describe how the muscular system and skeletal system work together.
14Write each question and answer in detail. 1. What parts make up the skeletal system?2. What do bones start out as?3. Describe the purpose of bone marrow.4. Describe how gliding joints, ball and socket joints, and hinge joints work. Give examples of where to find each.5. What holds joints together?
156. What are 3 types of muscle tissue and where do we find each type? 7. What is the difference between a flexor and extensor?8. Describe the function of tendons.
16Our Flexible Frame: Video Quiz 1. Together our skeletal and muscular system give our body shape and allow us to walkand run. An important job of the bones is _____________the internal organs of the body. These include such organs as the lungs and heart.A. to protectB. to shapeC. to restrictD. to grow
172. We must have a balanced diet for our bones and muscles to develop 2. We must have a balanced diet for our bones and muscles to develop. Vitamins and minerals such as __________ help bones to grow and become strong. Foods such as milk and dairy products are rich in these minerals.A. niacinB. calciumC. iron zincD. Spongy bone
183. There are different kinds of bones in the human body 3. There are different kinds of bones in the human body. One kind called ___________ is very strong yet light in weight. This type of bone gives us freedom of movement which is so important In the many sports we enjoy.A cartilageB. compact boneC. long boneD. Spongy bone
19Our blood system supplies all of the body's cells with food and oxygen Our blood system supplies all of the body's cells with food and oxygen. The red blood cells which carry the oxygen are produced in the _____________ of the bones. This is a very important function of the bones since red blood cells are used up and must be constantly replaced.A. yellow marrowB. red tissueC. white marrowD. red marrow
205. Specific bones have a special job in protecting the internal organs within our bodies. The brain is protected by the __________. This type of bone covers the brain tike a helmet and cushions it against any injury.A. skullB. ribsC. spinal columnD. sternum
216. Another series of bones protects the spinal cord 6. Another series of bones protects the spinal cord. The _____________ which is made up of vertebra prevents injuryto the spinal cord. The spinal cord is responsible for all body movement.A. skullB. spinal column
227. A series of bones which looks like a cage protects other body parts 7. A series of bones which looks like a cage protects other body parts. The________ guard the lungs and heart against injury.A. skullB. ribsC. spinal columnD. sternum
238. The muscular system enables the bones to move in various ways 8. The muscular system enables the bones to move in various ways. Those specific muscles that are attached to bones are called_________ muscles. They are found throughout all parts of our body.A. SkeletalB. CardiacC. Smooth
249. Another set of muscles assist the heart 9. Another set of muscles assist the heart. The _______ muscles keep the heart beating throughoutour lives. They consist of strong bands of muscles that wrap around the heart.(A) skeletal(B) smooth(C) voluntary(D) cardiac
2510. A third kind of muscle is found inside of various internal organs 10. A third kind of muscle is found inside of various internal organs. The _____ type of muscle tissue is found inside of our stomachs and blood vessels. They are strong and assist themovement of liquids through these organs.(A) skeletal(B) smooth(C) voluntary(D) cardiac
26Works Cited My Body: Teacher Created Materials Encarta Encyclopedia Microsoft Clipart