Presentation on theme: "What to think about…. What are the functions of muscles? How do muscles work? What are some of the different types of muscles? What happens to muscles."— Presentation transcript:
What to think about…. What are the functions of muscles? How do muscles work? What are some of the different types of muscles? What happens to muscles based upon their amount of use?
Muscles and bones are joined or attached by tissue called It is the tendons that allow muscles to move the bones.
All body movement requires muscles. What if we are not moving? Even sitting still we are using muscles. The heart beats, the diaphragm causes us to breathe, etc.
About how much of your body weight is muscle? This weight consists of the over muscles contained in the human body.
3 Kinds of Muscle Each functions differently.
Skeletal Muscle Called skeletal muscle because it attaches to the skeleton and makes it move. These are strong muscles. These are voluntary muscles. Another name for skeletal muscle is striated muscle.
Cardiac Muscle This is a kind of strong muscle out of which the heart is made. Cardiac muscle can work continuously for a long period of time without getting tired. Cardiac muscle is involuntary.
Smooth Muscle These are muscles that line places like the digestive tract. These weak muscles contract and relax to create peristalsis. They are also involuntary.
Controlled vs. Automatic -Muscles that you can control. -Muscles that you can’t control.
How do muscles work? Muscles work by and. Skeletal muscles make us move. However, muscles are only capable of one type of force.
Since muscles can only pull and not push, how does this effect the way they work in the body? The muscles have to work in pairs. One muscle of a pair bends a joint, while the other straightens it back out.
Bicep Tricep When the bicep contracts and the triceps relaxes, the arm bends. When the Tricep contracts and the bicep relaxes the arm straightens.
When you don’t use your muscles they become and. Unused muscle cells actually become smaller if not used regularly.
But, if used regularly, they become larger and stronger.
Of course, the most important muscle in the body is the How does a strong heart benefit you? It works more efficiently. This will give you more energy and help you live longer.
1. Which of the following is not a kind of muscle? A. Striated B. Tendon C. Cardiac D. Smooth
2. What attaches muscles to the bones? A. Striations B. Tendons C. Diaphragms D. Cardiacs
3. Which muscles are responsible for peristalsis? A. Tendons B. Skeletal C. Cardiac D. Smooth
4. Which muscles are responsible for your ability to move around? A. Tendon B. Smooth C. Cardiac D. Skeletal
5. The stomach is surround by which type of muscle? A. Striated B. Cardiac C. Smooth D. Tendon
6. Which of these is cardiac muscle associated? A. Heart B. Skeleton C. Tendons D. Digestive System
7. What happens to muscles that get used regularly? A. Get flabby B. Grow larger C. Become weaker D. All of the above
8. What kind of muscle is the heart? A. Involuntary B. Voluntary C. Skeletal D. Smooth
9. When muscles work together to make the body move, they work in ____________.
10. When one muscle contracts then another is _____________.