Presentation on theme: "The LycèeS.B.Capitanio gave the students the possibility to know very well the city where they live. During the fourth period of the year (2 months) the."— Presentation transcript:
The LycèeS.B.Capitanio gave the students the possibility to know very well the city where they live. During the fourth period of the year (2 months) the students went up and down of their city and were learnt by an english guide about Bergamo’ monuments. The first tour was to Lower City.
We started from the station, the meeting’s center of the public transport and of the national trains. The Bergamo station was born in , and it was the first building trade in Bergamo. It’s built in classical style.
Behind the hotel “Piemontese”, in Viale Giovanni XXIII, there is a house in liberty style.
Following the path we reach the Vittorio Emanuele II's square. In the background of the square there is the high school, which was the first public school in Bergamo. At the center of the square there is a statue built in honor of the Alpini and is about 20 m. high
In the same street there is the madonna delle grazie church. Its dome is topped by a bronze statue covered with gold. It depicts the Madonna Immacolata who defeats the evil. The evil is the half moon and the snake that is placed at the feet of Our Lady. This statue is called Statue of the Graces.
In front of us there are the Propilei, erected in The material used for building them is the pink granite taken from quarries on the Lake Maggiore. These Monuments are characterized by a post-neoclassical style. They were very important because they marked the boundary between the city and the country. In order to cross the threshold of the city people had to pay a toll.
The Donizetti theater was built in 1897to celebrate the century of the Donizetti’s birth. He was a musician of Bergamo. Now the theatre is in Cavour square, and in the centuries it has been restored because originally was built in wood. It was used as a theatre, for opera companies and meeting time. The Donizetti’s theatre in Bergamo was born in the late nineteenth century with the name of New Theatre or Theatre of the Trade Fair.
In the church of San Bartolomeo there is one of the greatest works of art: the Pala by Lorenzo Lotto. The scene represents the Madonna with Jesus surrounded by angels and saints. The dominant colors used are: blue representing the Prayer and Faith, t red symbol of the Celts and fire and white colour for purity.
The saints represented are San Rocco, St. Stefano, St. Catherine fromAlexandria, and 9 classifications of angels. The artist makes suffering images meaning that man must suffer on earth to go to paradise. To make a painting in oil good manual skills are requested, and strong ability in mixing the components that ultimately generate the colours. The painting
Restauration: 5/12/ /4/1995 In 1732 the Venice’s Senate approved the request of the city of Bergamo to be able to build 540 shops in brick in order to accommodate the ancient Fair of St. Alessandro, an event always coincides with the feast of the patron saint. The project was entrusted to Giovan Battista Caniana, who conceived a square surrounded by trees and a fountain in the middle of Zandobbiomarble composed of a tank dominated by the figure of Neptune surrounded by tritons and sea horses that poured water from the mouth. In the late nineteenth century, however, the fair didn’t work anynore and most of the buildings were abandoned or reduced to ruins, so at the beginning of the twentieth century is given the task to Marcello Piacentini to redesign the layout of the site. Now completely demolished the fair, i only the fountain was kept, which in Piazza Dante had originally a different location
The major manufactured designed by arch. Alberto Piacentini, a tower of the new civic center of Bergamo, was made using white marble, marble and bronze. Opened in 1924, a few years after the original design of Piacentini that had undergone substantial changes with the aim of adapting the construction to a new feature: to celebrate the sacrifice of the fallen eight hundred Bergamasks in the Great War; the new monument will perpetuate the memory. The municipality of Bergamo then considered that the tower by Piacentini, its size and placement could satisfy this need "better“. Today, the great tower is a symbol of all the municipality and a tribute to the sacrifice of its sons
This place was designed by Luigi Angelini in the years'20 to solve the connection of the porch of Piazza Vittorio Veneto with the new Crispi street and to enhance the vision of the fifteenth century cloister of the Convent of Santa Marta, redesigned in 1934 using original materials, except for the western side.
In the second half of the garden rises of private accounts Marenzio; garden shaped roughly rectangular, with an area of 12,000 sqm. In 1973 the municipality of Bergamo provides for the acquisition of the garden Marenzio through expropriation in accordance with applicable laws, in order to create a public park. With a reduction of area of 3000 square meters land is purchased by the Local which subsequently built between the remaining property Marenzio and park the wall. In that year the garden consisted of several large trees, many of them centuries old, as Platani, cedars, beeches, American and nuts Conifers of various kinds, but not all enjoyed a good state of preservation. Indeed abandonment where you left the garden has helped the cosideta "natural pruning" of trees caused by meteorological events and the formation of a rigogliso undergrowth. It was therefore expected the cleaning of all vegetation in the park. As for the park Suardi, including the park Marenzo the municipality approved several projects to work on the garden sisitemazione a public park. These projects included the change of paths esisitenti, the formation of a gate of access facilitating the inflow of public and the replacement of the wall, along the way Frizzoni, closure of the smelly ditch and finally was a plant lighting consists of light Quarata points. In 1977 we made changes to the previous project which included the construction of new paths connecting to ensure greater conservation of undergrowth, the removal of the lighting and the replacement of only parzile wall with a railing. The park has an artificial lake of about 600 square meters this once, was fed with water from a communal Roggia. In the year when the park was bought by the city, the water of the lake was polluted and full of material melmoso. It was then a general cleaning of the basin and a new power of the lake by water from municipal water supply. Later in 1978 were derived from an old local park in the toilets. It was equipped with lighting the pond and the stone grotto of strain Brembate. Following the City did build two wooden bridges and a security barrier in piles chestnut round the edge of the pond. Many were eventually, efforts on cleaning and the provision of green park. Through defined and detailed interventions have been carried out in the seventies, operations of planting, pruning, removal of dead plants, weeding of paths, risemine of flowerbeds. They are followed in recent years projects recovery of undergrowth and ridifinizione paths with inclusion of appropriate plants typical of the tradition of the romantic garden. All this made it to the Park Marenzo a pleasant and acceptable to users. For the initial design scheme, which leads to a strong concept naturalist / romantic, the park presents the game for children that would be inappropriate and poorly placed. It was deliberately preferred to preserve the natural and mysterious concept of a time.
In 1949 the municipality of Bergamo propose to the Count Guidino Suardi the purchase of part of the garden adjacent to his property in order to put to public use. The proposal was accepted by the count, which is made available to offer the City of Bergamo an area of 22,500 sqm. It was therefore formed the Park Suardi, the first municipal park and that is of considerable interest. Until that time the city of Bergamo did not have real public gardens, except in restricted areas and small greens of the city center but there were private parks, both for the vastness of the area, both to the importance of the vegetation more green areas. The conditions of the garden in 1949 were not particularly good as the lack of maintenance and World War II had contributed to his neglect. In the park there were plants of conifers, oak, beech, many of which are in poor condition due to the indiscriminate cutting of branches operated by German troops which also had not hesitated to break down some of the best plants. Nevertheless the interest of the municipality against the park not diminished. After the purchase of the garden the municipality provided to the construction of a dividing wall, two and a half meters high, between now become communal property and private remained at Conte Suardi. On 2 April 1950 the park was inaugurated and opened to the public. In subsequent years the garden has undergone many changes to better adapt it for public use. In 1951 it was thought to create the wall of the park oval windows in order to alleviate the fence wall that isolates him from the road. In 1957, however, was approved the construction of a new fence consists of a railing of the length of three hundred meters and then the demolition of the wall in order to allow citizens to enjoy the park from outside. It was also built a cloister for the services of hygiene and health was designed for a guardian, reserving a space for the sale of drinks inside the park. In 1958 the municipality had built some play equipment for children, in 1966 provided the installation of a train for children who could cross the garden and in 1977 provided a service of cars a token. Park Suardi soon assumed the appearance of a public park project and amended in accordance with the needs of citizens. To the many initiatives we went to add the purchase of animals enter the park in order to provide the public with a new type of attraction. In 1957 were prepared inside the park fence with two shelters for a couple of Daini and kids of Tibet. In the following years many animals were placed in the park as: Pavoni, Donkeys, Volpi and tropical birds. Many, however, created problems as causing damage in summer and give off odors that makes it unpleasant even a simple walk in the park, others, failed to adapt to the climate of our city and in short perished.
The palace Rathgeb Netherlands, site of the museum legacy Testament, has maintained the appearance and distribution of a rich population of sedimentation that have overlapping of its original construction in the sixteenth century: a long story made even more readable after ' Careful intervention restoration completed in The building was built by brothers Zovannino and Bartholomew Cassotti trasferitisi city in the valley Imagna in 1506 to lead more comfortable with their trade of textiles. The project is carried out at the most important Renaissance architect Bergamo, Peter Isabelle and decorations to Maironio da Ponte and Donato Fantoni. The building on via Pignolo dates from the late seventeenth century, but acquires the current form, along with the hall of honor and the internal courtyard, with the new owner, Count Giovanni Mosconi, between 1736 and The Palace goes to Alberto Rathgeb in 1891 and will remain his heirs until 1981, when the donation of Roberto Bassi Rathgeb to the Diocese with the express indication to host a museum. In the last two centuries have some decorations tempera and fresco, while architecturally as everything remains in the eighteenth century. Although we can identify the steps in successive centuries, the palace after the restoration has great elegance and harmony offering visitors as one of the best preserved Renaissance architectural Bergamo. The picturesque view from the garden and, inside, the decorations of pull and arcades.
The white Lions’ door The southern port, said of the white lions, is supported by two couples of columns: the external ones supported by white lions, while the internal ones by two kneeling telamons The white colour indicates purity.
The northern port, called of the Red Lions, is supported by columns supported by two lions in red marble of Verona. The red colour stand for corruption
Bergamo is a city characterized by different types of stone due to the differentces in the territory. Mainly we have: -sandstone (arenaria) flysch of Bergamo - Sirione’s conglomerate. Almost all the monuments in the city are made of these materials. Their composition depends on the fact that Bergamo was a city surrounded by sea. In fact, for example, the sandstone is very fragile, because it has a molecular structure of "sand".
Then photos of the museum of natural sciences in upper city
AROUN BERGAMO WITH THE CITYSIGHTSEEING bus: On Wednesday, May 28th we were walking to Porta Nuova to take a cabriolet bus. After leaving, the driver gave us headphones to hear the explanations in the language we preferred: Italian, English, German or Spanish. We started from the station in Piazza Marconi and then passed in front of Donizetti Theatre. Then we travelled along Viale Vittorio Emanuele II where there is a funicular, and then we took a look at the Accademia Carrara. We continued along Viale delle Mura arriving at the Porta S. James and going forward, to Colle Aperto (high city ). There, the bus stopped for 20 minutes and we had an ice cream at the pastry shop "Marianna", famous throughout bergamo for its sweets and its chocolate. We returned back along the same lap, to Porta Nuova, where we hop off and greeted the driver. We had a lot of fun despite the rain!