Presentation on theme: "THE VINE and the BRANCHES GOD as the gardener, JESUS as the vine, and DISCIPLES as the branch."— Presentation transcript:
THE VINE and the BRANCHES GOD as the gardener, JESUS as the vine, and DISCIPLES as the branch.
INTRODUCTIONINTRODUCTION John 15:1-8 Grapevine is a productive plant John 15:1-8 Grapevine is a productive plant Preparing a vineyard: Requires constant & intensive care Preparing a vineyard: Requires constant & intensive care
Hillsides are suited location Stone walls around for protection 1. PLANTING
Watchtowers for further protection
1. PLANTING Carving the winepress to complete the installation
2. PRUNING John 15:2 Branches are pruned To produce stronger branches Greater fruit yield Pruned are useless except to be used as fuel (Ezek. 15:2-8)
2. PRUNING 2 kinds of Pruning: 1. Cutting out/off Pruned are useless except to be used as fuel (Ezek. 15:2-8) Pruned are useless except to be used as fuel (Ezek. 15:2-8) Even more useless after being burned 2. Cutting back Promotes growth Even more fruitful
3. HARVESTING Isaiah 1:8 During the harvesting season, the owner of the vineyard might live in a booth to stay close to his valuable crop. The harvest of the grapes took place in August or September.
3. HARVESTING Average vineyard produced is unknown A vineyard was considered so important that a man who had planted one was exempt from military service (Deut. 20:6).
3. HARVESTING Some of the harvested grapes were eaten fresh (Jer. 31:29) And others dried into raisins (1 Sam. 25:18). Most were squeezed for their juice to make wine.
CONCLUSIONCONCLUSION Christ is the Vine Apart from the vine our efforts are unfruitful Nourishment comes from the vine
CONCLUSIONCONCLUSION God as the gardener who cares for the braches to make them fruitful Daily he sends sunshine and rain to make the crop grow Constantly he nurtured and prepared it to blossom.
CONCLUSIONCONCLUSION Branches are the disciples The fruitful branches are true disciples Living produce much fruit Unproductive disciples are as good as dead. Cut off and useless except fuel for the fire.
CONCLUSIONCONCLUSION Fruit is not limited to bringing people to Christ V. 7 – answered prayer V. 11 – joy V. 12 – love are mentioned
CONCLUSIONCONCLUSION Gal 5:22-24 2 Peter 1:5-8 describes additional fruit:
CONCLUSIONCONCLUSION Qualities of Christian Character Harvest comes when we become mature and ready for use. This analogy of farming shows God is glorified when people come into a right relationship with him and begin to “bear much fruit” in their lives.
PRACTICAL QUESTIONS Are you faithfully remaining in the vine? What is God pruning in your life? What Christian qualities that are bearing fruit in your life? Are you ready for use?